Melbourne Cafe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melbourne Cafe

When I was last in Melbourne, I went to a fantastic cafe but now I cant remember its name or location. Can someone help? It has a large collection of beans in buckets at the entrance, machines and accessories along the left hand side and a cafe at the back. (It was opposite a station)
    If I hear the name, itll come back to me.
    Anyone???

Re: Melbourne Cafe

Originally posted by flatwhite link=1190502793/0#0 date=1190502793
    When I was last in Melbourne, I went to a fantastic cafe but now I cant remember its name or location. Can someone help? It has a large collection of beans in buckets at the entrance, machines and accessories along the left hand side and a cafe at the back. (It was opposite a station)
    If I hear the name, itll come back to me.
    Anyone???
    For a moment then it sounded like the Caffeine dealers opposite Atomica to me....Home of close to the worst espresso I have ever been served- but thats not opposite a station. Any place with a pile o beans in buckets at the door would concern me. If they dont care about keeping retail dry coffee fresh, who knows what might be happening behind the counter?

Comment

sounds like the coffee company in balaclava.

Comment

Spot on, Muppet_man. Thats the one. Well done for working out from the vague clues. I was really impressed with a blend they put together for me last time and Ill make sure I go back this time. Is there anywhere else Melbournians would recommend for an out-of-town visitor? Im keen to both savour a good coffee on the premises and take home some interesting beans.

Comment

Do yourself a favour and avoid the "open sneeze bucket" coffee places and try Veneziano (site sponsors), The Maling Room and St Ali.

There are others mentioned in dozens of threads about Melbourne coffee but those 3 are top of the should do list.

Comment

IMHO there are plenty of places in melbourne heaps better. The coffee at coffee company I found to be inconsistently fresh. I found that Its pot luck on whether you buy the fresh beans or ones that have been out in the open for way too long and are now stale.

St Ali or their new store Brother Baba Budan in the CBD are head and shoulders above Coffee company in both the coffee which they serve and the coffee that they sell.

First Pour in abbotsford is another place to buy some beans where the coffee is top notch.

Comment

Thanks guys. I may have to extend my stay and do some research!

Comment

Just to let everyone know, Marika is moving on to St Ali for a few days a week. I know a few people are talking about it and questioning WHY?? Most people dont know that she has cancer and is wanting to gain new look on life. The volumes at the Maling Room get a little crazy at times and she does need a break from the pressure there. We have been really looking after her at work and everyone is little worried about her health. Establishing the business she always feels the pressure at the Maling Room and is something she does not need right now. She loves a challenge and the guys at St Ali will give her something to fight for without the worries of managing the cafe. Also she really wants to work with Toshi her most successful student that she taught in Latte art.
                The relationship between St Ali and the Maling Room will be great. Hopefully she will bring some guest blends and single origins more frequently which is something we will only push when you can do it right.
                Just wanted to end rumours especially with soooo many people i have talked to in the industry.
                Andrew

Comment

Sorry to hear about Marika.

I think very few outside of the industry would realize the dedication and commitment to make a cafe work, and the toll that this can take on our personal lives, health, and relationships.

Hats off to you guys for going the hard yards to produce an amazing product, that raises the bar in terms of standards for the rest of us.

Best wishes to Marika on her recovery.

If any of us in the industry (or otherwise) can help in any way just say the word.

Pat

Comment

Originally posted by flatwhite link=1190502793/0#3 date=1190533413
                    Spot on, Muppet_man. Thats the one. Well done for working out from the vague clues. I was really impressed with a blend they put together for me last time and Ill make sure I go back this time. Is there anywhere else Melbournians would recommend for an out-of-town visitor? Im keen to both savour a good coffee on the premises and take home some interesting beans.
                    Someone answered before I got here, but Id also add that the business has changed hands at least twice in the last few years - seems to get worse with each new owner.

Comment

Working...
                    X