Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It Shouldnt Happen to a Snob (aka Epic Fail)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Shouldnt Happen to a Snob (aka Epic Fail)

Last night, I pulled one of the nicest looking shots Ive ever had from the Domus. Reddish-tan crema, tiger stripes, perfect gloopy pour.

Then realised it was the sink shot after a long backflush routine.

Today, on the last 25g of beans in the hopper, and no chance to get any more for at least an hour and a half, I dosed very, very carefully, leveled, distributed and tamped with the utmost caution.

Then watched as the double gushed into the cup in under 10 seconds.

Whats happened to you lately?

Re: It Shouldnt Happen to a Snob (aka Epic Fail

Heart breaker!!!

Comment

Oh, thats terrible Identity!

I had a smiliar experience at 3am during an all-nighter on uni work; thought i had enough coffee to make a double shot but was just short so made a horrible shot (and gulped it down) and then went searching for instant (eww).

Gonna buy 1kg today to get me through the last 1.5 weeks of uni!

Comment

It happens to all of us, usually if I am in a hurry or making several drinks and the dose and tamp is a bit off. a horrible gusher occurs and taste more like dishwater than velvety espresso.......I keep telling myself take your time and you will be rewarded!!

Comment

maybe next time consider a single pour?

Comment

I keep a small tupperware of dregs specifically for the sink shot after cleaning.
            I just put my level off grinds in there over the course of a few days and I have enough for a double.
            I recently made sure I labelled the container as my poor brother in law was visiting a while back and was up early one morning. He saw some pre-ground coffee and thought "Not the best option, but I can make a coffee without turning the grinder on and making too much noise".

Interestingly enough, he said it was not the worst coffee he has had. Thats scary!

I told him he can alwayd turn the grinder on. Worst case, Ill come staggering out and demand a coffee!

Comment

Hehe thats funny fatboy...funny because my husband insists on keeping those dregs (he reckons im wasting them if i throw them out) to make coffee with. I refuse to do so (im pretty stubborn) but hell use them and reckons they make a good coffee (i disagree!). Ground coffee sitting there for a few months...no thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Sammy link=1195605790/0#6 date=1195696140
                Ground coffee sitting there for a few months...no thanks!
                Yep, thats a big yuck from me too :-)

Comment

I used to keep the leftovers for my sink shots as well but lately Ive been getting so good at dosing that I havent had any to save.

Comment

Someday ill get there TG...
                    Actually, my dregs are mostly from running the grinder for a few seconds before grinding into the basket to get rid of the stale grounds sitting in the grinder from the previous day. Does anyone else do this? Am i being a bit over the top?

Comment

i do that too, Sammy... i dump about 15 gr every morning!

L

Comment

Originally posted by Sammy link=1195605790/0#9 date=1195794056
                        Someday ill get there TG...
                        Actually, my dregs are mostly from running the grinder for a few seconds before grinding into the basket to get rid of the stale grounds sitting in the grinder from the previous day.  Does anyone else do this? Am i being a bit over the top?
                        Usually, I am only loading and grinding enough for one double at a time.
                        When the grind is done, I sweep whatever is in the grinder chute into the doser before I load and brew. The Macap chute comes pretty clean with a pastry brush and the doser sweeps quite clean too.

If Im doing more volume (friends are over etc.) then I just load beans into the hopper and dump anything that I think is too old as I go.

Are you being over the top? Isnt that what being a snob is all about?

Brett.

Comment

sounds like the Macap s chut is pretty easy to get at, FB... Ms Carimali has a very "secretive" chute, almost inaccessible from the doser... and then, there is the coffee under the burrs, so i find it easier to run her for 5 sec at the start of every session to clear her out...

and, totally by the way, it helps keeping the rubbish bin smelling like..... coffee!!

L

Comment

Yep, the Macap is easy to sweep clean.
                            I can get the last few grounds from the chute with an artists brush before dosing.
                            2 seconds effort.

Comment

Working...
                            X