newbie trying to get it right!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie trying to get it right!

Right, I purchased the sunmean 6910 and 0480 grinder but not quite getting it right yet. I am currently grinding with the grinder on about 19 although still getting a pretty fine grind. Getting the right amount off coffee in a single cup basket but the guage on the machine is showing well over the desired pressure and not getting more than a couple of drips of coffee from a single run of the machine. Pressed the single shot button twice earlier before achieved any coffee. The coffee was pretty good when it came with a good crema from the non-pressurised baskets but I can clearly do better!

Am I still grinding to fine, the grinder manual says 12-16 for espresso and I am up to 19. Dont think I am talping too hard?

Cheers

Re: newbie trying to get it right!

What kind of coffee are you using moo and how fresh is it? Also, do you know what Tamping Force you are applying? The ideal range is somewhere between probably 7.5-13Kg and the only way you can know is to drag the old bathroom scales out, plonk it on the benchtop and start tamping away. You need to find a method that is easy for you to use and be able to reliably apply within a 1.0Kg +/- window. Once you are able to do this, this leaves you with just the dosing, distribution and grind setting to sort out (sounds easy if you say it quick ).

If you do a search through the forum, there are quite a few threads explaining how to get your dosing and distribution under control and once you have this aspect sorted, then you only have the variable of grind setting to adjust in order to get your shots within the 60ml in 25-30seconds time-frame. Why 60ml? Because it is much easier to get things working right at the beginning stages with the Double Basket rather than the Single. To be able to pull good shots consistently with a Single Basket requires that every aspect of the process is near perfect and thats a bit much to ask when you are just starting out.

All the best mate ,
    Mal.

Comment

moo if the guage is too high and the machine cuts out before you get more than few drips, the grind is too fine.

As Mal said though, the single is hard to nail at first.
      I suggest you leave the grind on 19 and change to the double basket firstly.
      If that doesnt get you more liquid, then coursen the grind.
      Id say 2 notches given how little liquid has come through.

P.S. Where does the guage currently get to?

Comment

The Sunbeam does a good job, just keep adjusting grind until you get a good pour. There are a few posts on the EM480 if you do a search, heaps of info on use and its little foibles, cleaning etc.

Comment

It sounds like you grinding a little too fine, you should be able get your full shot through in around 30 sec. I would not worry about following the rcomended the numbers on the grinder, there are too many variables involved for a book to tell you a setting; just use them to remember where you are

I reckon dont worry about the pressure gauge either. I love my sunbeam 6910 and my very best shots are always overextracted according to the gauge(just in the start of the black), but not according to the taste. I think it is more important to tune your grind and tamp to produce two very thin straight streams that remain thin and straight for most of the pour.
          I find it much more consistent to use the double baskett than the single, and make sure when you pack it you fill it right up (more than other machienes) so it ends up being only a couple of mm from the top after tamping.

Comment

Yeah my em480 is on about 18. I am still trying to get it right.
            CIP - Consistent, Insistent and Persistent - so an old teacher friend of mine used to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Mal link=1196925728/0#1 date=1196929352
              The ideal range is somewhere between probably 7.5-13Kg and the only way you can know is to drag the old bathroom scales out, plonk it on the benchtop and start tamping away. You need to find a method that is easy for you to use and be able to reliably apply within a 1.0Kg +/- window.
              Easiest way without a doubt is to buy an Espro spring loaded tamper. Use it everyday at work along with my Reg Barber and Coffeelab tampers.

Comment

Thanks guys,

this morning I used the double basket and worked pretty well. Pressure was about right and the pour was good. Wasnt quite even between the two glasses I was using but not far off. So I will work on perfecting the double shot before moving back to the single.

Thanks again for all the info and support!

Comment

I put my single basket in the back of the cupboard never to be used again, it just did not work for me on my Silvia.

Comment

Single baskets rock. I love them...they pour the most viscous espressos ever.

Comment

Working...
                    X