Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Tamping

GDay

I dont know whether this is correct or not, but I find that to get a 25 second shot without doing a handstand with the tamper, I need to give a very light settling tamp when the PF is about three quarters full.  After topping up, rather than levelling it off, I find I need to leave a small mound of coffee in the PF before the tamp.

I have my grinder on the finest setting possible, so unfortunately there is no room for change there.

Is this completely the wrong thing to do?  :-?  Or is it an acceptable method of preparation?  

All advice is welcome  8-)

Thanks
    Andrew

Re: Help with Tamping

What are your shots like with this method?

Comment

How do they taste? Fine!
      The length of time is 20 to 25 seconds!

Comment

Ive been told from several sources that heavy tamping is not necessary. If the grind is right a firm tamp should suffice. I have been experimenting with my tamp and have eased off on pressure applied and have been getting good shots once the grind is spot on.
        Since getting my Pullman and Synesso db my shots have improved markedly with a firm and even tamp, I have found the grinds need to just contact the shower screen, if underdosed I get a runny faster shot.
        Have you tried buying some ground coffee for espresso and comparing shots with your grind?

Comment

Good suggestion Greenman...I might try that!

Comment

I realise that you already appreciate this Secksy, but when you are able to get yourself a decent grinder (read: best you can afford :) Im sure youll find it a LOT easier to dial-in your Ikon. I guess you just have to make the best of things until that time arrives.... Sounds like youve got it worked out pretty well though mate 8-).

Cheers ,
            Mal.

Comment

Andrew,

Double-tamping isnt ideal but if the first one is only fairly light then you can often reconnect the puck. I expect your dissatisfaction is related to the unevenness of the grind which a good grinder will fix, but if the shots taste good then I dont think you have a lot to worry about. I think what youve done is identified the shortcomings in your equipment, adjusted your technique to suit which is what its all about. Good work Sherlock!

Greg

Comment

Thanks all

I appreciate your help!  8-)

Regards
                Andrew

Comment

The proof is in the pudding if the resulting shot is producing a lovely tiger stripe crema, and if the shot tastes great with good flavour definition and balanced acidity - then its fair to assume that you are doing something right!~

Its good to experiment with one variant at a time, however, such as reducing or increasing the amount of coffee that you are using, and then increasing or decreasing the finesse of the grind, to see what sort of results you can get

Who knows, you might end up producing something significantly better than what you are making right now, and set a new benchmark in you espresso evolution!

Pat

Comment

Working...
                  X