Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How soon to grind after roasting?

Problem:

I guy at work has asked me to roast some coffee for him to give to his in-laws for Christmas.
    The trouble is that they dont have a grinder so he wants me to grind it for them as well.

I plan to divide it up and seal it in several small bags to optimise the freshness.

My question:

Should I:
    1 - Roast it a few days before he needs it and grind it at say 6 days post roast OR
    2 - Roast it at the last minute and grind it immediately?

The first bag probably wont be opened until the 25th and by then it would be 10 days old with option 1 or 6 days old with option 2.

If they were whole beans Id go option 2 as the Kimel Im going to roast him is good between a week and 2 weeks after roasting.

But as they need to be ground, whats the best way to go about it?

Re: How soon to grind after roasting?

Either way the coffee wont be at its best after grinding but I suppose the later you grind it the better.
    It is a shame you cant give them beans and they get them ground by someone closer to user date.
    If they are not coffee buffs they may not notice that the grind is not as fresh as freshly ground.
    Good luck with your decision............................

Comment

Thanks greenman.
      I was sort of wondering if there would be a diference in taste if they are ground within 12 hours of roasting compared to say 6 days.
      After another week, would there be a noticeable difference?

Comment

Grind them straight away, and chuck them into bags as soon as possible. Think accelerated flavour development with the ground coffee.

Comment

Thanks nunu.
          Thats one vote; youre winning.

Comment

Id have to agree with Nunu there... watch the bags blow up like puffer fish

Comment

Thanks for the reminder/warning Marc.
              The small bags I was think of using arent valved.

Do you think 60 grams ground and sealed in a 125 gram bag would be a potential bomb?

Comment

Not if you squeeze all the air out and seal near the top of the bag.

The other option is to put a pin prick in the bag, from the inside. Ive seen several good roasters do this.

Comment

As I dont have a grinder yet I get mine fresh roasted then ground and its not to bad. The beans would be at least 4 days post roast. So maybe a couple of days isnt going to hurt as whole beans, at least itll let some of the gas go.

Andrew

Comment

Ive got the same dilemma - I roasted for mates, not all of them have grinders, but I insisted on giving them whole beans anyway, telling them that I hoped they would actively participate in the coffee experience by seeking out friends or establishments that would be happy to grind for them, and thus entering into a discussion with the coffee!

But now Im roasting for my out-laws, who we are staying with over christmas, and if I laid that malarchary on them they would probably tell me to get out!

So Im roasting fresh today, grinding tomorrow morning, and using 250g zip-lock bags with one way valves attached.

Worst case scenario is that the bags have to be popped open every day or so to let the gas out!

Cheers,

Pat

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Having read the comments Ive decided that Ill try roast with enough time to allow some degassing by the whole beans.
                      Then Ill grind and bag in small portions, say 60gms in 125gm bags.
                      Ill tell my work colleague to keep an eye on them and tell his in-laws to do the same.

As you said Pat, if the bags need to be popped open for the first day or so it isnt big task.

Comment

Hi Thundergod,

Late in the afternoon just yesterday at the Sydney Coffeecrawl (after w-a-y too much caffeine) I asked the same question to Renzo at Di Bartolis. He said that coffee is ok to grind (if necessary) and bag 24 hours after roasting.

Hope this helps...

Comment

Thanks Paolo,
                          Ill wait as long as I can after roasting before I grind and bag it.

Comment

Ok on a similar vein I too am roasting some kimel for the relatives in fact im onto my second batch now! (preheated gene cafe to 180C, set temp at 230C and stopped first batch at the 15min mark) - but my question is this:

How coarse should I set the grind?

Im grinding for drip filter and / or plunger. Ive got a rocky and a mazzer super jolly at home, can anyone provide me with some specifics for setting the grind?

Cheers,

Pat

PS Im roasting tonight but will be grinding tomorrow morning b/c we have a plane to catch at lunch time - Ill let you know how it goes...

Comment

Pat you probably already know you need to grind courser for plunger but I cant tell you an exact size.
                              So long as the grounds are larger than the filter screen you will be right.

I think I was grinding a bit too course when I first started using the plunger at work while the Sunbeam was in for repair.
                              Having said that, to my taste it didnt matter.
                              From a technical viewpoint I probably could have made a better coffee with a finer grind but ce la vie!

Best I can advise number wise would be that on the MDF I use 3 to 4 for espresso and 12 now for plunger.
                              The MDF goes to 24.

I dont think you can go too far wrong if its a bit courser than optimal.

Comment

Working...
                              X