Process of flavouring coffee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Process of flavouring coffee

A questions that I am sure has been asked before but I cant seem to find the answer... Can anyone tell me how coffee roasters make flavoured coffee? e.g Swiss Chocolate, Irish Cream, etc. I know you can get the flavoured syrups to add in while making a coffee but what is to process of flavouring before the beans are packaged?

Thanks,
    Lez

Re: Process of flavouring coffee

Hi Lez,
    Im not sure how the proffesionals do it, but i tried putting a vanilla bean in a wine bottle with 200gms of fresh home roasted coffee with good results.

Comment

GDay Lez,

I cant speak with authority on the details of the flavouring process, but I have read repeated warnings on this (and other) coffee sites, of the potentially damaging affect that flavoured coffees (eg: Gloria Jeans et al) can have on grinder burrs over the longer term (ie: glazing).

That would therefore suggest that the flavouring of the roasted beans involves infusing some form of sugar-based flavouring syrup as well.

I may stand to be corrected on the finer points of the flavouring process but regardless, take care with the grinder if using flavoured beans!  

Cheers,

-A-

Edit: I just read your signature line and noticed we have two things in common - Mazzer Grinder and a tolerant/forgiving Mrs. ;D

Comment

It is a nasty proccess!!! At a previous position we made flavoured coffees. It involves baking a syrup into the beans. We used 100ml of flavour to coat 15 Kg, so its potent. You take the beans from the roaster while they are hot, and mix the flavour through. We had to do it in a contained room with extractors, wear face masks and elbow high gloves, and we used to draw straws to see who got the horrible job.

If you are going to go for flavours, the syrups you add to each cup are much better.

Comment

For your info Lez,

Used Google to search CoffeeSnobs and came up with the following results..... Google Results

I havent been through all the results but a few of them are threads about the info youre seeking I think.....

Cheers,
          Mal.

Comment

Hmmm, didnt know about the potential of causing problems to your grinder when using flavoured coffees. :-?

Originally posted by Pioneer Roaster link=1198199258/0#3 date=1198210204
            If you are going to go for flavours, the syrups you add to each cup are much better.
            I can report that adding vanilla essence (authentic) to your poured cup of coffee doesnt produce a great product.

Anybody know where in Melbourne you can buy these special syrups?

Comment

I believe ive seen some flavoured syrups for coffee at safeway/woolworths.

Comment

Thanks Gavin, Ill check it out

Comment

Why would anyone want to adulterate perfectly good espresso with syrup?
                  Have a milkshake!

Comment

Originally posted by greenman link=1198199258/0#8 date=1212228229
                    Why would anyone want to adulterate perfectly good espresso with syrup?
                    Have a milkshake!
                    Nearly 30 minutes before someone posted a comment like this ... what took you so long?

Comment

Originally posted by pepitovfr link=1198199258/0#9 date=1212228446
                      Nearly 30 minutes before someone posted a comment like this ... what took you so long?
                      Over 5 months for you to post a comment like this ... what took you so long?

I guess greenman was trying to figure out if it was a joke or not...

matt

Comment

I always use 5-10 ml of real Irish Mist in my iced coffee.
                        I dont generally like the flavoured drinks hot, although a dash of Cointreau has occasionally crept into a latte.
                        Interestingly, I have found that authentic liqueurs are often cheaper to use than the fake flavourings!.
                        Greg

Comment

Working...
                        X