X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Ristretto

Hey,

How would you do double ristrettos?
    Is it around 30ml in 30secs or 30ml in 15sec.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Re: Double Ristretto

Depends on the basket.
    Single or double?

A double is normally 60ml in 30 secs so a ristretto would be 30ml in 30secs.

30ml in 15 seconds sounds quite fast be it single or double.

Comment

What about having a normal 60ml shot in 30secs with double basket and cut it at 30ml and 15secs?

Edit- Oh I get ya, so that wouldnt really make it a ristretto?

Comment

I guess it would still be considered a "ristretto" as its around a 1:2 ratio (coffee-water) but wouldnt taste as nice as one that took 30 seconds for the same amount. It would be under extracted.

Comment

itsme5k, not a ristretto by some definitions.

Comment

Strictly speaking, a "Ristretto" should be pulled for the same duration of time as per a normal shot, but with only half the volume. A lot of people go the easier route and just truncate a normal shot by stopping it early, say 15-18 seconds, to realise the same half volume and call this a Ristretto but it really isnt.

What ever works for you is fine though, were all different ,

Mal.

Comment

Always try to stick to your extraction time for espresso or ristretto, that way you are not over/under extracting shots.

It gets worse though. There are 2 main ways to pull a ristretto.
              1) Grind, I think this is the best way to do it although not always practical. Adjust your grind finer until you get half the volume in the same time.
              2) Dose, This is easier in a cafe than adjusting the grind or doing what most places do and cutting the shot short. keeping the same grind, updose to restrict the flow of espresso.

Both ways work well, but the grind is easier to adjust, and if you are updosing anyway option 2 may not work.

The secret to a good ristretto is trial and error. You can pull a 40ml double or 20ml double. Both are ristretto it just depends how tight you like the shot.

Comment

Yeah I agree. I often pull double ristrettos just by updosing. Its way more convenient, especially when you are making multiple coffees. I have a mark on my Rocky if I plan to change the grind finer for ristrettos. I like playing around with things so theres a few marks on my Rocky for different grind experiments; I really should just jot them down on a notepad - my hopper is starting to look like a timeline of history. I always stick to the double basket too.

Especially since I got myself a Minore II for Christmas (courtesy of Renzo & Ofra), theres a lot more play-ability going on. V.v. fun.

Comment

Problem is, if youre already updosing for espresso, youre forced to change grind for ristretto.

I generally prefer a tighter shot anyway, so Im in between espresso and ristretto.

Comment

Originally posted by nunu link=1198574840/0#8 date=1199157959
                    Problem is, if youre already updosing for espresso, youre forced to change grind for ristretto.

I generally prefer a tighter shot anyway, so Im in between espresso and ristretto.
                    Yep, me too nunu..... If I dont see a slight shower-screen impression on a dry puck before pulling a shot then Im not using enough coffee :

Mal.

Comment

Working...
                    X