Nostalgic coffee advertisement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nostalgic coffee advertisement

On a recent visit to the Sydney Tramway Museum, I spotted this old coffee ad in one of the tram carriages. Not too sure what year the ad is from but it was in a Sydney tram car from the 1910s. Red print under the brand reads "Pronounced HARG".

Does one turn into a Coffee Hag if one drinks too much coffee ? :

Re: Nostalgic coffee advertisement

WOW!! i havent heard that name for years and years!!
    in Holland the generic name for decaf coffee was/is "koffie-hag" , the "hag" pronounced with that Dutch guttural death-rattle..
    amazing how your mind all of a sudden throws all these memories at you... my Grandfather only drinking "hag" because of his blood pressure problems... the special tin in which the "hag" was kept, and got stale, as my Opa didnt drink a lot of coffee ( probably because it wasnt very nice....) and his joy when he was allowed to have a "real" coffee on Sunday mornings...

Thanks , GB!!

L

Comment

Thanks Lizzi ! I tried to Google the name earlier but kept turning up German stuff (and couldnt read it of course lol).

Comment

send me the url and i will translate for you...

Austria, Switzerland (uhmm, i think...) Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium, they all use Hag....

L

Comment

Just click the "Translate this page" link next to the page title in the Google results.

Comment

Great bit of nostalgia there!
            I recall when I was a little nipper mum used to let me have a "coffee", it came in a bottle and was called chicory essence, I havent really got any fond memories of that brew so it couldnt have been very impressive.

Comment

Thanks for the offer Lizzi but my habit is to close all those windows I cant understand on sighting :-[ So Ill remember to ask you next time Im looking up some other hag hehee.

I havent tried chicory essence but I see them sitting next to all the stale prepackaged pre-ground coffee in Woolworths. That might be an indication of what it might be like

Comment

My memory of the chicory essence was that my mother used to use it as a coffee substitute because of the rationing during and after WWII.

Comment

I can remember reading a Neville Shute book about the war years and they used to have Ersatz coffee as a substitute for the real thing. Cant recall the name of the book, I read it when I was a little fella!!

Comment

In the UK, they still sell Camp Coffee, a liquid mixture of coffee, chicory and sugar.

Made since 1885, it was originally popular with soldiers and the like.

There was a bit of controversy a few years ago as they changed the original label depicting a servant serving coffee to a soldier. Now it shows them both sat down together drinking.

I believe many people still use it for flavouring cakes etc.

Comment

Originally posted by greenman link=1200008918/0#8 date=1200094364
                      I can remember reading a Neville Shute book about the war years and they used to have Ersatz coffee as a substitute for the real thing. Cant recall the name of the book, I read it when I was a little fella!!
                      Gday gm,

Wouldnt have been "The Cruel Sea" or something similar (not Nicholas Monsarrats work) by any chance?

Mal.

Comment

I recalled the book yesterday it was "The Pied Piper" an old man collected a group of child refugees as he walked across France, we had to read it for school I think, but it must have been a good read to stick in my mind for so long!!

Comment

Working...
                        X