Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most of you would be horrified that Im using...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most of you would be horrified that Im using...

...supermarket bought/ground coffee and the dual floor baskets that came with the 6910,..but wait (you can close your mouths now).. I have a good reason honest   and I need help because my portafilter is squirting coffee in my general direction  :.

Reason: (heres where I need your sympathy and understanding ).. I bought a Granmacinino grinder this week from another CS member, only there is 287 km – about 3 hours 36 mins drive that separates me from the grinder *snif*. My daughter who lives in Sydney, kindly offered to pick it up for me this week(not sure if she has done that yet)and said she would bring it with her when she comes down to see us today. Sadly she rang us Fri to say she couldnt get down this weekend, but hopes to get down in the next few weeeeeeeEEEEKS???!! She doesnt drink coffee and has no idea of my desperation to grind my beans I have sitting here. I have 500g of CS Blend, a Green Starter pack and my first two roasts..just waiting to be ground.

So,..in short.... I ran out of ground this week,. got desperate, bought supermarket ground to tide me over until my grinder arrives today  : phrrrrt!... tried using the normal baskets,.. failed because the ground is,..well..cwap!..too coarse and uneven, used dual baskets in a pathetic attempt to extract something from my $5 investment,..and wore coffee down the front of my jeans   as the portafilter squirted it straight out across the room and I blocked it. Only a trickle in the cup  .

Whats up with that?? It appears that the coffee comes out at the neck collar where you screw on the spouts. I have tried tightening but it just slips loose and comes right off if I tighten past being firm. I have tried varying the degree of tamping but even with a light tamp is still happens. Seems like the pressure is just too much for it and the liquid finds another way to come out.  Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, did you resolve it?

Ok,. for the sake of keeping everyone from being red-faced by admitting they know anything about this or that they have actually used these baskets,.. it might be best if everyone starts off with,..."Someone I know uses these baskets and supermarket ground coffee...."

Any help would be great,.. my alternative is instant coffee crappy.

Re: Most of you would be horrified that Im using.

Sorry Remy but I cant start off with "Someone I know uses these baskets and supermarket ground coffee...."

This may be a simple problem (the leaking bit, not the supermarket coffee), though pardon me if I am over-simplifying! Have you used a firm brush (a toothbrush would do) and given the gasket that runs around the shower head (on your machine not your bathroom) a good scrub?

Coffee grinds tend to easily build up there and are enough to cause a poor seal, leaking coffee everywhere.

Re the coffee itself - bummer about the grinder. You could always go Ethiopian and use a pestle and mortar on your own roast. Its far from ideal but even so, I think may still be better than the supermarket stuff.

Comment

Thanks Dennis,. yeah I have had it leak from higher up in the gasket area around the shower head but that was with a normal basket (I didnt have a clue about dosing amounts and overdosed),.. but this is leaking from lower down,.. where the spout is attached to the protafilter.

However,.. I think you have given me a solution with the Ethiopian. Off now to squat on the kitchen floor and grind with a mortar and pestle. ;D

Comment

Remy, did you remove the black plastic insert from the PF?
        You need it in with the dual floor baskets, otherwise it will spray coffee everywhere!

Hope that helps.
        John

Comment

Maybe its the frog in your cup thats doing the spraying Itsme5k has to be on the right track

Comment

Originally posted by itsme5k link=1201352145/0#3 date=1201398409
            You need it in with the dual floor baskets, otherwise it will spray coffee everywhere!

Hope that helps.
            John
            Ooooooh,..yes indeed, I did remove the black plastic insert. Oh shooot,..think I tossed it  ..... it seems Im just not meant to drink coffee,..any coffee...good bad or ugly.

Hmmmm,....tea is starting to look good again. Is there a good tea forum on the net that you know of?

Thanks John!

Comment

Originally posted by snooooze link=1201352145/0#4 date=1201399292
              Maybe its the frog in your cup thats doing the spraying Itsme5k has to be on the right track
              Oh dont get me started about the frog doing the spraying,.. ok.too late, you did get me started.  You wanna hear something about frogs spraying hey???  Well,. this frogs name is Lucky,.. as in Lucky he is not a dead burnt frog, or a dead flat frog.  

Lucky he didnt get burnt to death when he travelled several hundred K under the bonnet of our car three years ago (his head had burns on it though and has the scars to prove it) and lucky I didnt stomp him flat when I was misting his tank to cool him off and he turned and pointed his rear-end in my general direction and squirted several hard bursts of frog pee at me,. hitting me in the neck face and shoulder. It was that day I grew less fond of him.

Comment

LOL @ the frog going for a trip in your car! A friend of mine went to the coast for a work conference and found a frog in her luggage. She swore it must have come from home. Being the kind hearted person that she is, she couldnt just release the frog into the wild there, instead, she put it into a container and brought it all the way home again! ;D

Comment

Yep thats what happened to us,. we found our green stowaway coming home from Qld.  The day we left, we had spent the morning having a family gathering at Tambourine mountain and we think this is where we Lucky decided to leave the lush green surroundings to climb under our oily bonnet for a life in a frog tank .

By the time we found him,.. he did not look good and the area we were in was hot and dry, no water anywhere.  With three kids in the car there was no chance that we could let him out in such a place and in such a condition.  We had to mend him  and look after him forever  :-/.

So when we reached our overnight stay accomodation,.. it was straight out to find a pet shop an buy a portable aquarium and crickets so he will be comfortable for the rest of the trip home, where a large frog tank and all the trimmings needed to keep a frog happy was promply purchased since he was eating really well and look like surviving :.

We had planned to take him back to where he came from the next year when we went on holidays up there again,  but to our surprise, we were advised by a wildlife authority that we should not do that because we could be introducing bacteria and disease back into the area... go figure!??

Comment

Originally posted by itsme5k link=1201352145/0#3 date=1201398409

Hope that helps.
                    John
                    John,

The pressurised baskets in the new 6910 Sunbeam gave me last month, have an offset hole.
                    So the coffee wont spurt straight down the spout hole like I think the old ones did.

Remy,

If its leaking from where the spout meets the PF try tightening the spout.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1201352145/0#9 date=1201491398
                      Remy,
                      If its leaking from where the spout meets the PF try tightening the spout.
                      yeah thats just it,.. the first thing I did was try to tighten it, but it goes to a point where the spout is quite firm,..then past that point it slips loose.. it cant be tightened any more,.. almost as if perhaps its cross-threaded or something. I cant figure out why they have made it with that inner edited: oops! I mean outer collar bit either, instead of a regular male / female type connection. What is the benefit of having it constructed this way do you think?  Curious minds need to know.

Comment

Ill need time to inspect the one at work before I can answer any further.

Comment

Working...
                        X