Do you save shots for later use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you save shots for later use?

Ok..like I have admitted before that Im sometimes lazy.oh hold tha phone!!!..I just realised Im not lazy.. just far too tired from all the stuff I do everyday,..and I try to find ways to do things faster without making more mess,.(my family does enough of that for me).

So...being too lazy (theres that word again) to change the filter basket from double to single, I decided to just do a double and drink them both ;D. However, since I had a double earlier on this morning.. I found I couldnt down that last shot afterall, and couldnt face giving it to the sink either because it was just too nice a shot to throw,.. then it occured to me,.. someone mentioned here about keeping shots in the fridge and I suddenly remembered the little jug(about the size of an espresso cup) that I bought recently without knowing what to do with it,.. but just because it was so cute  :,..and poured the shot into the little jug and popped it in the fridge.

I came home this afternoon, hot and bothered after a day out with the kids, wanting a coffee quickly and remembered the shot that I saved in the fridge. Within a minute, I was sitting down with an awesome iced coffee (a light sprinkle of choc to sweeten slightly) .  In future I will just pour the extra shot straight into that cute little jug.  I dont think I will be using the single basket again somehow, especially once hubby and my oldest daughter discover how nice the iced coffee is.  

I am still using supermarket ground atm (long story but have mentioned why in another thread), and I can only imagine what these iced coffee treats will be like using my own roasted and ground beans.

So who else saves their shots for later? and how do you use them?

Re: Do you save shots for later use?

I quite often do a shot for my wife and she makes iced coffee, they taste wonderful and I have even had the odd IC on a hot day.
    Another good one is an affogato, pour the shot over a scoop of vanilla ice cream, it is delicious.................

Comment

Another vote for affogato.
      Delicious on a hot day.

Comment

Originally posted by greenman link=1201591953/0#1 date=1201593009
        Another good one is an affogato, pour the shot over a scoop of vanilla ice cream, it is delicious.................
        Aaawwwe yumm!! of course!, but I would never have thought of that in a million years, even though the only way I ever eat icecream at home is vanilla sprinkled with instant coffee granules  : :-[. OMG I cant wait to try that. For an Affogato, do you pour the shot hot or cold over the icecream? I like the idea of it cold,.. but wondering if I could get away with it hot, since it might be that I will need to pour a shot at the time the craving hits.

Also,..what about frappe?.. there is such a thing as coffee frappe isnt there??? or maybe frappe is just fruit juice based??

Comment

Frappe was invented in Greece and its now extremely popular.
          Its made with instant coffee.
          It seems that gives the correct frothy topping.

Anything else would not be a real frappe but I have made similar using espresso instead of instant.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1137118462

Comment

Hmmm,.. made with instant coffee hey??! I choose to believe that instant probably became the preferred choice for convenience, speed and cost cutting purposes and not because it tasted better than using an espresso shot of freshly roasted coffee.

I asked my 15yr old daughter just now, if she makes coffee frappes at her work, because she has spoken of the fruit frappes a few times, but never coffee ones. She has been working in a really nice healthy pita wrap/cafe part-time after school and all through the school holidays since last June and works on a gorgeous CM... the Red Astoria Sybilla *swoon*. Though they use Illy pods on it for reasons unknown to me,..speed, consistancy and less mess is my guess. Anyway, she said they do make coffee frappes and use espresso shots(diluted, long black?) and chilled in the fridge, poured over ice in the blender with some Frappe powder. She said the Frappe powder looks a little like malt powder but has no idea what its actually made of. Maybe its a powdered milk base with froth enhancing incredients or something???

Another drink I have to try.

Comment

the powder we use at work is a vanilla flavored powder with a thickener in it. (i think)

Cup of Ice - about 600mls
              3 dessert spoons of powder
              80mls milk
              double shot espresso - extracted to order
              shot of Vanilla syrup

tastes good, not as sweet as I expected the first time i made one, just nice.

Comment

Read about how it was "accidentally" invented.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_frapp%C3%A9_coffee

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyb link=1201591953/0#6 date=1201605913
                  the powder we use at work is a vanilla flavored powder with a thickener in it. (i think)

Cup of Ice - about 600mls
                  3 dessert spoons of powder
                  80mls milk
                  double shot espresso - extracted to order
                  shot of Vanilla syrup

tastes good, not as sweet as I expected the first time i made one, just nice.
                  Hi Jimmyb, I just made my first coffee frappes (for my daughter and myself), and I have to say, it was pretty nice despite not having quality ingredients (supermarket coffee) and I was just experimenting. I can see this would be a great refreshing caffeine hit on a hot day.

I put 3 tspns of sugar (should have put 4) into a cup and poured a double shot over it and mixed until the sugar melted. Popped the sugary shot into the freezer while I got the other ingredients ready. Tossed two large cups of ice into the blender with some big glugs of milk (didnt measure) and the cooled surgary shot. It turned out nice and thick..spoon could stand up in it, but could have been a bit sweeter. My daughter said it looked like icecream.

Its funny you mention vanilla syrup, because as I was thinking about what to put in it,. I was trying to figure the best way to disolve the sugar and thought.. I need some corn syrup (the americans use it and I believe it is sugar syrup) Never heard of vanilla syrup,. but now that I know,.. will hunt for some,..the added vanilla flavour would be nice.

Comment

Working...
                  X