Coffee Preparation Areas & Coffee Cupboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee Preparation Areas & Coffee Cupboards

A discussion about coffee cupboards and coffee making setups started in another thread here http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1200976921/31#31 and I wondered how/where other CSrs store all of their coffee making paraphernalia.  

Greenman posted a pic of his prep area in that thread, but I thought it might be a good idea to start separate thread, so that the pics of our prep areas and storage areas are easier to find.

No doubt, pics of coffee machines has probably been done already,.. but Im thinking more along the lines of actual coffee stations/preparation areas and inside your coffee cupboards/storage.

I think this would be quite interesting to see where others prepare their brews and store our ever growing collection of coffee making stuff. Could also give us some ideas/inspiration.

Here is my preparation area
    [img]www.studioheath.com/images/bits/coffeeprep.jpg[/img]
    Yes I have a RED CM.... it is soooh fast  ;D   Just out of the pic to the left of the CM is the double sink and drainboard. Dishwasher under that.  I have a nice timber chopping board that sits on the drainboard area where I load up the PF,. put the cups, milk etc,.. and cleaning spills and grounds etc is done in a flash with a quick squirt from the retractable tap with spray head,..straight into the sink. On top of the CM is the new shot glasses,.. rest in the dishwasher, and little jug (have 2 of these)which I use when I want to keep a shot in the fridge for an iced coffee later. I pour the shot straight into the jug.  When making the iced coffee,. I pour milk into the little jug a few times which gets all the coffee out easy. The little jugs and bowls were purchased from Hot Dollar for about $1.50 -$2.50 each. The shot glasses purchased same place but $2.50 for pkt of 6.  

Here is my coffee cupboard  :, I am a true coffee snob yes?.  My family and friends think it is hysterical that I have a whole cupboard just for my coffee stuff.
    [img]www.studioheath.com/images/bits/coffeestorage.jpg[/img]
    This cupboard is located behind the CM prep area.
    Green bean starter pack and misc CM parts on top shelf.

Next shelf down,..unopened stash of marshmallows(too high for kids to reach easily) and empty SS canisters for storing small roasts and cold drink ice shaker container behind.

Next shelf down,..SS milkshake cups at back, Pkt Zambia AA Lupili Estate (almost empty), glass jug for refilling CM, spare white bowl (like the one on the drip tray in previous pic,..bought a second one cos it is so useful, would hate to break and not have one like this) tall SS airtight canister full of marshmallows for kids hot chocs, short SS airtight canister full of hot choc powder.

Bottom shelf,..latte glasses at back, spare cups and stack of saucers, sharpie pen for writing bean varieties on canisters, timer used for roasting,. small SS canister 1/3 full of ground Zambia AA(will be grinding on demand from now on), two ziplock pkts of the two 1/2 cup roasts I did today (Honduras & Mexico Veracruz) and back right is a rectangle clear container full of all the coffee making gear such as,. choc sprinkle, coffee scoop, tamper, group head cleaning brush, marshmallow tonges, mini whisk for hot choc making, SS shot/nip measure and dbl pressurized basket(now used to measure amount of beans to go into hopper for shot). I usually pull this whole container out when making coffee and hot chocs.

SS canisters and glass refill jug were also picked up in Hot dollar for pennies.

Below cupboard of course you can see blender and the microwave there is actually directly behind CM. I keep the milk frothing jug in the door of the fridge and a set of plain white china hot choc mugs in the other coffee/tea making cupboard (original cofee/tea making cupboard which hubby uses all the time, next to fridge and above the electric kettle which also contains other misc coffee/tea cups, tea leaf, earl grey tea bags(hubbys choice of drink) and instant coffee for visitors who prefer to go that way). I dont want all that stuff in my coffee cupboard,..instant coffee cross-contamination and all that ;D.

Soooh,.. what does your prep area look like and what is in your coffee cupboard?

yoohooo Greenman,.. would you mind posting your pic in this thread?

Re: Coffee Preparation Areas & Coffee Cupboards

No probs Remy, good idea about this post!
    After having my original Saeco on kitchen counter and making heaps of mess and cramping head chefs style in the culinary area I was quickly shunted into the family room on a corner of the pine dresser, then came Silvia, Rocky, knock boxes, tamper stands, milk jugs, baskets for paper towels, copious amounts of cups, latte glasses, espresso cups and other paraphenalia, so now the dresser is a CS only area only accessible to the head barista. The second frig is a bonus to keep my milk in, I have to share this with the family but Im willing to make concessions to keep the peace.
    This arrangement works well providing the supply of quality capos, lattes etc is available to Mrs Greenman (Pam). I told her a sink and tap would go down well but she only glared at me after that comment!!

Comment

I love your dedicated setup Greenman, all in one area., very handy, and I expect it works well too positioned as it is. It looks like you could be more right there with your with visitors , as opposed to working on the other side of a kitchen counter if you know what I mean.  I kind of feel like the hired help occasionally when we have visitors for coffee,. the visitors wander about the family/dining/kitchen(open area) and out the back patio and Im a bit tied to the kitchen.

I havent branched out and bought a knock box yet because Im not sure what to do regards the used ground.  I have a little dilemma that I need to resolve.  Currently I dump it into the bin under the sink, but I am finding the smell quite offensive. When I use the bin,. to me its as if the contents of an ashtray have been discarded in the bin and I get a nose full of it everytime.  Hubby hasnt said anything about it yet, but I expect this is immanent as I know he finds cigarette smoke offensive. Can you tell me,.. does the ground dry out ok in the knock box and maybe smell less smokey? I am thinking maybe it is so bad in the bin because it kinda stays in an airlock in the bin and damp.  Oh darrr,.. I just thought,.. I will try an experiment and knock my last grounds out into a container on the bench and see how it goes.

Comment

Hi Remy

Pucks in the knock box can quickly become mouldy if not cleared out regularly. I break mine up and spread them in the garden beds.

I guess if you used a knockbox you could always add some bicarb (?) to absorb odour.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis link=1203083966/0#3 date=1203118717
          Hi Remy

Pucks in the knock box can quickly become mouldy if not cleared out regularly.  I break mine up and spread them in the garden beds.

I guess if you used a knockbox you could always add some bicarb (?) to absorb odour.
          Hmmm,..I empty the kitchen bin about every 3 or 4 days, so probably why the smokey/ash smell gets so bad. I have one puck sitting in a container on the bench so far : (another one soon to join it) and I can barely smell it at this point,.. (can if I stick my nose right into the container but the smell is not offensive to me so far). Will see how it goes like this over the next day or two and if it continues to smell ok,. then a small knock box on bench,.. emptied into the garden regularly will be the way Ill go too I think.

Whod have thunkit that anything coffee related could smell offensive?? phrrt!

Comment

No coffee cupboard, but do have a prep area...

Comment

Sneak peek at the new shop Dennis?

Comment

How are you making coffee at home now?

Comment

Very nice SS prep area,.. so easy to keep clean. ,.yes please tell..new shop? Love your selection of cups too wow! I want some little red ones now,.. are they espresso size?

Comment

Remy, I empty my pucks when container is about half full, they come out nice and dry and I crumble them up in my garden and pot plants, my Meyer lemon has gone berserk since I gave it a cafeine hit!! I feel as though I am doing my bit for the environment now!!

Comment

Remy, NE14COFFEE has some nice red cups up for grabs in the "pay it forward" thread, though dont think they are espresso size and neither are the ones on my bench (they come from Japan circa 1970 and for long blacks).

And yes, this is my setup at the roastery - Ditting and Giotto. The Ditting is fantastic - very happy with it! Im using the SB at home at this stage with the mazzer.

Comment

OK guys and gals,
                        Here is where my coffee gets made. This is just a corner of the kitchen, nothing very special except the coffee.
                        I keep a sample of the cups on the VBM, the rest are in the cupboard below and to the right.
                        Greg

Comment

The Gino Rossi isnt normally there but the Macap and Expobar live happily at the end of the kitchen bench near the sink.
                          That makes for easy cleaning and the dead corner is now filled with some coffee odds and ends.

The expobar holds 8 cups and the mugs are in the cupboard above.
                          Saucers (for guests) are in the cupboard underneath.
                          My jugs and tamper are off to the left of the picture.

My roasting is done outside the garage door so all that gear is in the garage as well as my 90kg of green beans.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1203083966/0#12 date=1203333830
                            as well as my 90kg of green beans.
                            90kg of green beans??.........*#$@**<>{%$^%$.>>>> *thud*

Comment

Nice thread, Remy...

Heres my professional set up... I did have some input into how this got done. This is an older photo as we now have two grinders beside the machine. The new one is a silver Mazzer which matches the Brasilia just fine. I thought Id post this up again incase you might like to get some bright ideas. The knock box for that set up is also now a drawer under the machine. Hmm... on second thoughts, I really need to upgrade that photo!

And my domestic set up. Most of the coffee cups are up in the cupboard above the machine. I keep some of the things in the left drawer of the tray and anything else is in the pantry. I like how my steam arm goes over the sinks drip tray, that way, I just vent off the wet steam and it runs into the sink. Works great.

Comment

Working...
                              X