Drink CS Blend or PNG Peaberry? 2days post roast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drink CS Blend or PNG Peaberry? 2days post roast

I have a coffee crisis goin on atm  .. seems I misjudged an empty valve bag in the cupboard standin there all proud and full lookin,. .eh hemmm.. and with the popper roast size limit....I appear to be caught in a loop of consuming almost all of my beans a few days post roast and well before theyre at their best I believe.  I just cant get the roasts to match my consumption,..which isnt that huge... but where does the stuff go? I ask.

Anyway,.. Im at it again...I have only two puney amounts (about 140- 150g each) of roasted beans which are almost 48hrs post roast,. CS Blend and PNG Peaberry and I have got to have a coffee,. and cannot hold off any longer and yes I will be roasting a couple more batches today,..and Saturday.

I dont want to waste any beans if I can help it,.. so why I would like to know,.. which of these two beans would be best in the cup after just 48hrs?  and hurry...Ive warmed the machine up and Im getting the jitters  

Re: Drink CS Blend or PNG Peaberry? 2days post roa

Cant comment on the CS blend Remy, cause Im yet to try it - but, I know from my experience of PNG Peaberry (is it the Kinjibi? :-?), depending on how far youve roasted it, benefits best with a 7-10 day post-roast rest. Thats when the subtle flavours come to the fore (as an espresso anyway, but thats another topic ;D)

Any roast you do, then grind & extract 48hrs post-roast will mostly be thick, bubbly crema with an immature body.

Comment

I think that this means the Remy roaster thread is about to get updated (been waiting with bated breath) so you never run out again

Comment

GrindOnDemand:
        The PNG Peaberry is from the my starter pack,.. cant see Kinjibi on the label. I was afraid you were going to tell me this. The PNG roast is very uneven.. with it being from about CS10 down about 7-8 shades I picked out the CS11/12s and a few very light beans too.... darn popper and me trying to stretch the size limit. I looks nice despite (just checked) with only spots of oil on some. It should be interesting in the cup if not anything else.

Shannon:The Remy roaster is having a few technical headaches atm. First,.. the darn drill bit I bought that is suppose to go through SS like butter...wont grrrrr and I cannot drill through the handles to fix them together as the baffles. Then... there is the rotisserie side of things..... needing some serious thought, and possibly a purchase,..not sure yet.

Comment

Hmmm....ran outta time earlier and had to wait til got home a few minutes ago before I got my fix..erm coffee. Quick question: when calculating extraction time,. do you start the clock at the first sign of liquid,.. or the press of the button?

Decided to waste a double dose of the CS Blend 2day post roast. Try saying that fast 10 times.. Poured the double straight into a mug of microwave heated milk (I had to speed up the process, I was hangin) . It was the longest extraction ever, that would be right.....57sec from the first drop.

It didnt taste bitter despite the length of extraction but that was likely because of all the milk,.. and had an overpowering taste of wet cardboard with a fruity?? undertone,.. probably what hot water filtered through a box of Sultana Bran would taste like. Ive had CS Blend before and it was devine,..so I dont recommend using it at 48hrs post roast,.. certainly not if you speed > roasted it like me in a popper.

Comment

Gday Remy,

Dont want to get too hung up on the time/volume thing, its just a guide but a 57 seconds pour is a smidgen too long to be ideal :. If youre timing from the initial press of the button, then 30 seconds would be ok, if from the first couple of drops of liquid gold, then 25 seconds is the one to go for. Much better though, to stop the shot by colour, i.e. before or just on the first signs of Blonding. So long as this falls within the region of the Golden Rule guidelines, then all should be well 8-).

Mal.

Comment

Working...
            X