Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shot volume??

Howdy Yall...

When the coffee flows into the cup/glass it is initially largely crema...and then gradually settles to be largely the dark liquid with maybe 5mm of crema on the top.

Is the volume of the shot (say 30ml) the total of the crema and the dark liquid...or is it just the volume of the liquid component?

And I spose the other question is...is it normal that the shot should run that way...i.e. from predominantly crema to predominantly liquid as it ages?

Cheers,
    Dave

Re: shot volume??

Originally posted by Dave_D link=1203852733/0#0 date=1203852733
    Is the volume of the shot (say 30ml) the total of the crema and the dark liquid
    Yes, the total of both.

Originally posted by Dave_D link=1203852733/0#0 date=1203852733
    And I spose the other question is...is it normal that the shot should run that way...i.e. from predominantly crema to predominantly liquid as it ages?
    Yes, that sounds pretty normal.

Bill

Comment

the thing to look for is when the crema begins to blond - when it goes from a darker colour to a noticeably more pale colour, usually after about 25ml from a single and 40ml from a double, then its time to stop the pour

its much more noticeable with beans that have been freshly roasted and are say, 7 to 12 days post-roast

what sort of bens are you using?

Pat

Comment

thanks for the responses!

Not sure of the actual bean...although it is now 5 days since roasting...the place I buy them roasts once a week.

Yep, I took more notice of the blonding in subsequent shots (quite obvious when you look actually). :

Cheers
        Dave

Comment

Originally posted by askthecoffeeguy link=1203852733/0#2 date=1203867426
          the thing to look for is when the crema begins to blond
          Gday Dave,

This article posted on Home Barista has one of the best explanations concerning the pouring of espresso by colour and is well worth the read. All the best,

Mal .

Comment

Maaaate...that is an outstanding article (already saved to favourites )

The more I look at the coffee flow the more I see.

This is harder than golf (stance...grip...swing...head down :-X)

Thanks,
            Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_D link=1203852733/0#5 date=1203939849
              This is harder than golf (stance...grip...swing...head down :-X)
              Hmmm,

Dont know about that Dave, I cant even tell the difference between all the various clubs :-?, and then trying to use one to hit that little white ball.... no way cobber ,

Mal.

Comment

Working...
              X