No announcement yet.

where to get good coffee in melbourne?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where to get good coffee in melbourne?

hey all

Im a brisbanite who will be heading down to melbourne in around a week. does anyone have any recommendations of where i can go to drink some yummy coffee? brisbane tends to have fairly mediocre coffee, so im hoping our cultured southern friends can provide me with a good cafe experience!

i think ill be staying real near to the CBD

thanks!

Re: where to get good coffee in melbourne?

I just read a review for "Liar Liar" in Glenferrie Rd, Hawthorn, sounds like its worth a visit.

Comment

Originally posted by greenman link=1203925966/0#1 date=1203926910
      I just read a review for "Liar Liar" in Glenferrie Rd, Hawthorn, sounds like its worth a visit.
      Yes- definitely worth a visit.

I have little doubt that they will rate as one of the best few in Melbourne for coffee in the next guide. They have a Synesso and a Clover and will tell you what you are drinking and when it was roasted when they bring it to the table.

Great breaky too- just a little slow in coffee service- but well worth the wait!

Chris

Comment

You cant go past St Ali in Sth Melb, also why not try our sponsors products Veneziano is in Abbotsford they have a cafe next door

Comment

Originally posted by hugz link=1203925966/0#0 date=1203925965
          ... brisbane tends to have fairly mediocre coffee, so im hoping our cultured southern friends can provide me with a good cafe experience!
          Mediocre coffee will be found in any city ... excellent coffee is a jewel-like find, in any city.

Youll get both experiences in Brisbane & Melbourne hugz - depends where you shop

And please dont inflate Melbournite egos anymore by reminding them of some illusional culture-Mecca that they are supposedly custodian of! :-?

Comment

We have visited Macro (Organic) Wholefoods today in Bridge Rd Richmond after a visit to the Epworth Hospital. Have a great range of organic wholefoods including coffee and the coffee shop has fantastic organic foods and delicious organic coffees. No need for a double shot in a latte- single shot has plenty of flavour. Thumbs up from two old country bumpkins. We are off to First Pour and Brunettis tomorrow between more hospital tests. Herbie

Comment

Hi Herbie...if youre coming in to First Pour tomorrow, Erin Sampson (runner up 2007 Victorian Barista Championships and runner up 2007 Australian Barista Championships Repechage) will be working the bar in place of me. I will be on the road all day doing deliveries. Erin is a great latte artist and can make a mean coffee. Hope you have a good day at First Pour.

David Makin will also be on bar between 8am and 10am giving Erin a hand should you pop in then. He is the current 4 time reigning Victorian Champion.

Good luck with all the tests and be sure to introduce yourself...we make an extra effort for Coffee Snobs!

Cheers,

David Seng

Comment

Wednesday Feb. 27th in the a.m. was a fantastic day for 2 old C.S.s from the country. We had our much awaited for visit to Venziano and First Pour. The night before I had put my intentions of visiting Venziano on a C.S. post and David Seng replied asking me to introduce myself on arrival. With the missus navigating we found Bond St. and a lucky last parking spot. Erin Sampson Champion Barista was on the espresso machine. David Seng was out and about delivering the coffee and David Makin the Australian Barista Champion was circulating in First Pour. We were gob smacked. How good was this for we isolated C.Ss.
                We ordered our lattes- too good to drink. Erins latte art was fantastic and now our mobile phone has the picture as wallpaper. The lattes well they were just heavenly.
                David Makin delighted us by taking us for a tour through the roasting area. We were shown the whole procedure from green bean to the dispatch area. Thanks David. Our day was made and we were off. We were chuffed. We will be back. Herbie.

Comment

Great to hear you had a good experience!

Comment

Brunettis in Carlton.

We continued our coffee crawl of Melbourne and arrived at Brunettis in the heart of lunchtime along with what seemed to be hundreds of others. To we country folk used to the local bakery Brunettis was a mind blowing experience. Delicious cakes (forget counting kilojoules today) and yummy savoury tucker. The Baristas were full on meeting the many orders (and yes they wiped the steam wands between coffees). The lattes were great and we can add another coffee place to our list. Herbie.

Comment

Grattan Street Coffee Crawl.

The coffee drinking continued whilst the Misssus was recovering in hospital from her op. I walked up Grattan Street as I was hanging out for my coffee hit. First off I looked through the window of a University Cafe. The Barista did not even use a proper tamper-forget that one. Next I came across an old Duplex building made into a very small and dark cafe called "Animal Orchestra". The Barista seemed to know what she was doing and the latte was o.k. Further up the road was "Coffee Bean" which was manned by an enthusiatic young bloke (whom I enlightened all about C.S. and its benefits). He told me Coffee Bean was actually an American Company with American Roasted Beans. The latte he made was very good. A bit further along was "Bean Ground and Drunk" which the Barista told me was using Timorese Fair Trade coffee roasted by "Bean Alliance". The latte was made o.k. but the single origin did not taste quite as good as the others. I also told him about C.S. and its benefits. Sadly we could not stay in the big smoke for the "Celebrate The Bean" day but we are so glad that it was a great day. Herbie.

Comment

Originally posted by herbie link=1203925966/0#9 date=1204882729
                        Brunettis in Carlton.

We continued our coffee crawl of Melbourne and arrived at Brunettis in the heart of lunchtime along with what seemed to be hundreds of others. To we country folk used to the local bakery Brunettis was a mind blowing experience. Delicious cakes (forget counting kilojoules today) and yummy savoury tucker. The Baristas were full on meeting the many orders (and yes they wiped the steam wands between coffees). The lattes were great and we can add another coffee place to our list.  Herbie.

Perhaps something finally clicked there?  :-?

Last time I was there I saw:[*]no rinse flush[*]no wipe of basket[*]2 clicks shell be right mate dosing from a full dosing chamber of very average coffee[*]15 second gusher pours[*] filthy steam wands, big jugs and reheated milk.

Oh and another thing....Some biscotti that were actually fresh would have been nice as well....I hope I was just unlucky on the day...

For my mind, great fitout and everything lacked from there onwards.

Something NEEDED to change big time as IMHO they were in serious competition with the big Bourke St "P" and Buckets on Smith for worst coffee effort in Victoria....One would like to hope that someone had an ephiphany  :

2mcm

Comment

I was in the city the other day for the first time in years. Had a good flat white at Hugos Expresso (sic) on Lt Collins just up from Southern Cross station. Paper cups only though it seemed (very small place, takeaway mostly I guess).

Comment

Working...
                          X