Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"VBM Super" Correct Flushing & Group Temp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "VBM Super" Correct Flushing & Group Temp?

Hi again Team,

One week into VBM super and just fitted Erics Temp gauge. Wasnt so sure about info from US sites as obviously they run on a different voltage.
    A couple of questions:
    1) "How long do you flush for ? or How what volume do you flush through ?
    2) What temp should you start pulling a shot at ?
    3) Do you time the shot from first drops of extraction into cup or from the time you pull lever?

Also not sure of back flush times, is it 5-10 secs 3 or 4 times?

Many thanks in advance  

CB.

Re: "VBM Super" Correct Flushing & Group Temp?

1) I flush approx 200ml. (i dont use a thermometer, I watch the way the water pours)
    2) Approx 94C
    3) I time from when I pull the lever.

My backflushing technique: When pressure hits max, cut it & wait approx 20 secs & repeat. Stop when theres no more chemical left in the PF.

Evan.

Comment

Redzone, Im not sure what other machines you have used, but if you are relatively new to espresso its probably a good idea not to bother too much about brew temperature until you are capable of pulling five shots in a row that give you the same volume with +/- 2 seconds pour time.

Could you just fill us in on what you mean by your second question? I guess that its implicit that youre asking what temperature erics thermometer should read, right?

As with practically anything coffee related, I think that playing around with brew temperature is probably most useful when you do it systematically. Stick to one coffee, one grind level, one dose and one pour time, then experiment by changing the brew temperature and recording your results. Repeat.

Hope that helps,

Luca

Comment

Thanks Evan thats awesome.
        Luca, only been pulling shots on a Pid Silvia for six months ,so pretty green mate.
        I will certainly try sticking to one coffee/grind etc as I tend to waver a bit. 22 Different blends so far and many home roast muck arounds.
        Re: Temp question, I was just trying to get a number to aim for when flushing (on Erics temp gauge, yes).

Comment

Originally posted by redzone121 link=1204074280/0#3 date=1204163436
          Re: Temp question, I was just trying to get a number to aim for when flushing (on Erics temp gauge, yes).
          Aiming for 93-94C will certainly get you in the ballpark rz and I guess youll strike thermal inertia issues too but practice and getting to understand the dynamics of your particular machine will certainly pay dividends.

Happy brewing mate ,
          Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Mal link=1204074280/0#4 date=1204197946
            Originally posted by redzone121 link=1204074280/0#3 date=1204163436
            Aiming for 93-94C will certainly get you in the ballpark rz and I guess youll strike thermal inertia issues too but practice and getting to understand the dynamics of your particular machine will certainly pay dividends.

Happy brewing mate ,
            Mal.
            Cheers Mal, all good.
            I have also managed to control the steam for passable micro foam at last.........

Comment

Working...
            X