Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I get a job??!!

Hey

I would love to work with coffee,either making coffee,or roasting, blending etc.But Im finding it extremely hard to get anywhere.I thought it would be simple to walk into a cafe and get a job ,but everyone wants at least 1 years experience before they even consider you for work.So Im in that Catch-22 situation where I dont have a lot of experience so I cant get a job,yet I dont have a job so I cant get experience.I have done a barista course,which,while by no means makes me an official barista,gives me at least a solid foundation to start from.

As mentioned before I am also interested in working behind the scenes,so to speak,but again,I dont know how to break into the industry.

So if anyone has ANY advice that could possibly help me I would really appreciate it.Thanks

Re: How do I get a job??!!

I talked myself into a job last year.
    Like you I had done the course but had no experience.
    When I showed up for the interview the first question was "do you have any experience?".
    When I replied in the negative he didnt want to know me.

Well that was a red rag to a bull so I pushed the point and convinced him to let me make a coffee.

That was enough to have him sit down and hear me out.

Im sure pictures of my home setup had him convinced I was crazy but it was also enough for him to call me back for some shifts.

If you have the confidence in your abilities you should be able to do the same.

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me,I really appreciate it.I know I can make a good coffee,the thing that Im worried about is my speed in making coffees,or lack thereof-how did you over come that obstacle?Was your boss supportive?

Comment

It wasnt a very busy place.

There a plenty of quieter cafes around.
        I applied for a job at a different one and was put behind the machine for an hour.
        IIRC I made about 8 coffees in all that time.

Comment

Originally posted by PJ link=1204511596/0#0 date=1204511596
          Hey

I would love to work with coffee,either making coffee,or roasting, blending etc.But Im finding it extremely hard to get anywhere.I thought it would be simple to walk into a cafe and get a job ,but everyone wants at least 1 years experience before they even consider you for work.So Im in that Catch-22 situation where I dont have a lot of experience so I cant get a job,yet I dont have a job so I cant get experience.I have done a barista course,which,while by no means makes me an official barista,gives me at least a solid foundation to start from.

As mentioned before I am also interested in working behind the scenes,so to speak,but again,I dont know how to break into the industry.

So if anyone has ANY advice that could possibly help me I would really appreciate it.Thanks
          still looking for a job?
          i was just about to post regrading a job.
          msg me back here or at stassicafe@hotmail.com

intersted?

Comment

Thanks for that Thunderbolt,I really appreciate it! youve inspired me!!

Comment

And Stassi,yes,I would love a job!!Or at least try out for one,thank you!! Ill email you as well.
              Thanks again!!

Comment

Campos are looking, No.2 on the list 8-)

http://www.seek.com.au/jobsearch/index.ascx?DateRange=31&catlocation=1000&statesele cted=true&catoccupation=1332&Keywords=barista&sear chfrom=quick&catindustry=1212

Comment

Hey Stassi
                  Is that 350 Queen Stassi??

Mal

Comment

Thanks for the Campos tip off,but Im in Melbourne.

Comment

You could always try asking for some unpaid work experience during quiet times...

Comment

Originally posted by bolb link=1204511596/0#8 date=1205129344
                        Hey Stassi
                        Is that 350 Queen Stassi??

Mal
                        Yes it is... something i can help u with?

===============JOBS STILL UP FOR GRABS PEOPLE------------------

Comment

Working...
                        X