Guatemala, Costa Rica and Ethiopia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guatemala, Costa Rica and Ethiopia

My two favourite single origins are from Central Americas and Id like to seem them again here (as a late commer I didnt get to "poll" them):

1. Costa Rica Tarazu SHB; and

2. Guatemala Antigua SHB (Cost Ricas little brother coffee which I find slightly less complex but nuttier and more chocolaty).

The other coffee Id like to see is:

3. Ethiopian Limu

I noticed that you had the Djimmah which was interesting as I had always known it as a blender rather than SO - used to add additional mochaish oomph for super mocha flavoured coffee.  As an SO I found the Limu far more palatable across espresso, long black and milk than the Djimmah, which I thought as an SO was interesting to try.

Re: Guatemala, Costa Rica and Ethiopia

Hi AlMac,

On the matter of the Ethiopean Limu, have you ever tried the Ethiopean Yirgacheffe? I have found this coffee to be very similar to the Limu, but IMHO, better. Cupping notes can be found here - http://www.coffeesnobs.com.au/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=cupping;action=display;num=10923738 00

The reason I have brought up the Ethiopean Yirgacheffe is that this coffee is an old CS favourite, and we tend to have a poll often. I am sure that this coffee will be polled sooner rather than later, and Id recommend that you try it. You wont be sorry

And I second your call on the Costa Rica and Guatemala Antigua. We should certainly spend more time exploring the Central American jewels.

Cheers,
    Avi

Comment

Avi

I will get some Yirg on the next poll - havent been around long enough to get on to it. If it is like the Limu then that would be good enough for me.

I think the Central Americas are fantastic for coffee. Easily better than Brazil and more to my palates liking than Africa or PNG.

Alec

Comment

Hi Alec,

I must admit that I have always considered the Limu to be a "Yirgacheffe lite". Sounds horrible, I know Once I tasted the Yirgacheffe, I simply cant go back to the Limu.

Have you tried many East Africans? I love them, cos they are so immensely varied and exotic flavoured. For example, the Ethiopean Harrar has strong berry (blueberry is how many describe this coffee) notes. The Kenya is a clean-cupping, deep-flavoured, high-acid coffee with a full body and dark berry notes. The Yemeni Mokha Ismaili - possibly the finest coffee on Earth - has fruit and deep dark chocolate notes that are absolutely fantastic. There are even a couple of low-acid East Africans that can be used a base for espresso blends - The Malawi & Ugandan Bugisu. Both are spectacular!

Sorry to go on, but I figured that I could do worse than champion East African coffees, perhaps the most varied region on Earth.

Avi

Comment

Avi,

Have to second your comments about the East African beans. I too have found the Malawi to be a fantastic SO and as a blend with the Ismaili. Talk about the sensation of a mouthful of sweet dark chocolate and an amazing, lingering after-taste. Just fantastic. I dont know what it is about these two beans but they really go well together. Have only tried as a 50/50 blend so far but will try others to see if theres an even better sweet spot.

Cheers,
          Mal.

Comment

Im more a central Americas kind of guy - bright, clean acidity in the cup. But I can see that Im missing out on something and will get into some more East African coffees.

I just picked up some Guatemalan SHB Antigua green which is one of my favourite coffees.

Comment

Hi ,

I quite new to this but from what Ive read the Costa Rican beans sound like a good thing . Also Id really like to try the ethopian varieties as well the Ethiopian Harar gets a good write up and sound very interesting .
              Look foward to see what becomes available

Paul

Comment

I would have to agree with all...
                Love my Ismaili,  Yirgi, Guat, Ugandans and Central Americans!
                Unfortunately I haven’t tried any Malawi... any Perthies want to trade?
                I would also like to 2nd (3rd?) Als Costa Rica Tarazu request.
                I remember this tasty treat from my Alan Frew  - pre CS days... Yum!
                I also remember that there was some problem in obtaining it when it was suggested about a year ago ..
                Is this still a problem??
                Matt

Comment

There are always Costa Rica coffees around the suppliers, the problem is quite often the grades are quite low and I cannot bring myself to buy floor-sweepings when we can have high grade for only a couple of dollars more.

Ill add it to the list of "time to have another look" coffees.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Freeman link=1120400890/0#8 date=1124792613
                    There are always Costa Rica coffees around the suppliers, the problem is quite often the grades are quite low and I cannot bring myself to buy floor-sweepings when we can have high grade for only a couple of dollars more.
                    Cant argue with that. Im very happy with what weve been getting through CS and dont miss my Costa Rican and Guats.

Comment

Working...
                    X