WA Barista Championships

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WA Barista Championships

I went along to check out the first day of competition. The whos who of the Perth coffee scene were there, CS was well represented--Terry from T5, Sam the Alchemist, Michael--alias Grendel (who was official timekeeper) and me of course. 4 espresso, 4 capucino and 4 signature drinks in 15 minutes--wow I was getting tense just watching the baristas performing under the lights!!
    If you would like to see a few pics go to:--

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=21555&l=8959f&id=520347251

Re: WA Barista Championships

Good one Greenman, great to be getting the news "live".

Man... that LM machine would fit so well in my kitchen, well it wouldnt really but I would make it fit! Love the Jaffa colour too, I heard they were pretty but didnt know it was going to be that nice! (sigh).

Who are the judges over there?

Comment

I wanted to get there this year, but unfortunately I have to work today and tomorrow so I guess the photos will have to do this year.

Grendel, did you get a chance to take any other pics for me the check out the day.

Comment

Grendel had his camera there today so you should see some info on his blog soon...................

Comment

Thanks for the photos.
          I went last year, but unfortunately cant get there this year.

Comment

Is that Jack pouring the latte art? Doesnt look like him...which means that competitor would have been almost marked zero for his cappuccinos because they have chocolate on top :-/

Comment

Hmmm,

Love that LM too, what a beauty 8-). That huge grinder to the right of the LM (in the photo below), is that a K10 WBC job? Sure is huge,

Mal.

Comment

Definitely a K10 WBC spec. The k10 isnt nearly as impressive as a Robur next to the LM. It stands a lot taller, grinds a lot faster and is a damn weapon in competition.

Comment

Interesting Mal....

This is a K10 WBC (and it appears the new smaller lid on top of the doser)

but the grinder "to the left of the LM" is a Mazzer SJ...
                  (Me thinks the hardware sponsors would be most upset!)

Comment

No Andy, the new doser lid is not on that K10. You can actually see the up-turned doser lid to the right of the grinder on the stainless bench. It appears to be an Auto K10 that has been modified by Diamond C to be manual and slapped on a WBC badge on the doser.

Competitors having the freedom to use whatever grinder they want at competition has probably been addressed by the WBC committee and we may well see some rule changes announced in Copenhagen this year as well as the new certified machine and certified grinder sponsor.

Comment

Is that black thing the finger guard on the top of the doser David?

WBC might be changing rules but I thought our local comp was sponsored hardware (the first pic, not the second)?

Comment

Originally posted by Wushoes - David S link=1205561442/0#5 date=1205576742
                        Is that Jack pouring the latte art? Doesnt look like him...which means that competitor would have been almost marked zero for his cappuccinos because they have chocolate on top  :-/
                        I think his name was Roger - been in WA for about a month (recent arrival from Brisbane I think).

-A-

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Freeman link=1205561442/0#10 date=1205587937
                          Is that black thing the finger guard on the top of the doser David?

WBC might be changing rules but I thought our local comp was sponsored hardware (the first pic, not the second)?
                          Not a finger guard as such....but the auto stop mechanism that would have been disabled or removed entirely....in this case it looks disabled and not removed.

Local sponsored hardware will almost always be what the WBC sponsored hardware is. For this year, that means LM FB80 from EES and Compak K10 WBC from Diamond C.

Comment

Check out cafe grendel for some more pics!!!

Comment

And the winner is....?

Comment

Working...
                              X