Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When away from the coffee machine - what do you do

You know I have to ask this question.
    Are holidays worth it if you cant take your coffee machine? The War Department and her troups are going away soon and when quized on the idea of taking my baby "the ECM" i got a unequivical "i think not". >

I dont like the answer but understand that there is not enough room in the car for the ECM, Macap, all the coffee stuf plus luggage, War Dept and kids. I had thought of leaving the War Dept home but wasnt game to suggest it. ;D

We use the old trusty stove pot espresso unit to make coffee when away, what do you all do when faced with not having your machines around.

Mal

Re: When away from the coffee machine - what do yo

Dennis has the Aeropress...

Comment

... indulge in bean-bay in less than 1 minute ... then ponder the question

click, click, click
      Tony

Comment

Run the gauntlet of cafes?

Not me, ;D

Going away for a week soon, renting a house down the coast. First and foremost thing packed is the Lelit Combi. Good for taking away, not too heavy, grinder and machine in one unit. Better get to roasting a good supply of beans - dont want to run out :-/.

Comment

I used to pack my La San Marco and accessories. I may have to do the same with the VBM.
          When I went camping, and electricity was not on offer, I drank scotch.
          Greg

Comment

Hi Greg
            Good answer that but not sure how it would go first thing in the morning sitting across the breakfast table from the mother in law .

Mal

Comment

Originally posted by Wine_of_the_Bean link=1205920307/0#1 date=1205920722
              Dennis has the Aeropress...
              Before that option I bought myself a Presso for just reason you are asking.
              I can pack the MDF (or the 0450 if I can get the part I need) and no need to run the gauntlet.

Comment

I usually pack a good supply of fresh roasted beans and a manual hand grinder AND my Vietnamese coffee pot. Its stainless steel and the coffee tastes a bit like a plunger.

Its nowhere near as good as the home made espresso, but tastes 10 times better than most coffee shops. And it can go anywhere.

Plus its amazing to use when camping. The smell of fresh brewed coffee in the open air in the morning is a magnificent way to start the day.

I mentioned to the family that Im taking the VBM and Mazzer on the next trip and was told to stay home...to which I replied...now thats a holiday! ;D and then packed the viet coffee pot.

Comment

We went to Tassie for four weeks so i took my plunger and had some coffee I roasted at home but I had to grind it first, so it wasnt the freshest still beats going without (Marty got lots of headaches in Tassie).

Comment

I was away for a week, and took the Sunbeam grinder and a couple of Vietnamese coffee pots. Worked a treat. I doubt that it was made the authentic Vietnamese way, but it tasted good and the grinder made sure that my son didnt sleep in too late. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by GregWormald link=1205920307/0#4 date=1205921918
                      ... when I went camping, and electricity was not on offer, I drank scotch ...
                      what ... no soy? ;D

Comment

Take along a batch of Cold Process.

Java "Lovin his CP!" phile
                        Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bolb link=1205920307/0#5 date=1205922979
                          Hi Greg
                          Good answer that but not sure how it would go first thing in the morning sitting across the breakfast table from the mother in law .

Mal

I would have thought it was a necessity, for either you or her.

Comment

If youre going somewhere populated, try for some local recommendations. Theres been heaps of threads along the lines of, "Wheres the best coffee in city/town/suburb X?"
                            and you usually get heaps of good spots suggested. When Im away from my machine, I tend to rely on this method.
                            I was in Switzerland recently, and there wasnt a good coffee to be had anywhere, so I resorted to holding my nose while drinking to ward off the evil taste ;D

Comment

Originally posted by bolb link=1205920307/0#0 date=1205920307
                              when quized on the idea of taking my baby "the ECM" i got a unequivical "i think not". >
                              That would only encourage me, but Im kinda bloody-minded that way...

When bushwalking I take pre-ground coffee in a ziplock bag and make Greek style coffee over the trangia. Tastes a bit stale by day two but beats walking with a caffeine headache!

Comment

Working...
                              X