whats that bean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats that bean?

Roasting a roast today at dusk, with the CSr card nearby that illustrates segmented differing roast profiles, it got me wondering ...

what bean has Andy got portrayed as the initial green-bean ... it looks blue!

SO, I thought Id put it out there to guess that bean, considering that in their supposedly green state, SOs come in all shapes/colours/contours.

Looks blue-ish to me, so I reckon the bean in question could be either Sumatran Mandheling Blue Batak, or it kinda resembles my PNG Kinjibi stash from a few months ago!

So, Andy ... wanna reveal the pictorialised bean mate?

Any other guesses?

cheers,
    Tony

Re: whats that bean?

I doubt its a blue batak. Its too clean to be. My guess is a Yirg or some other small sized wet process.

Comment

Originally posted by Wushoes - David S link=1206272740/0#1 date=1206273283
      I doubt its a blue batak. Its too clean to be. My guess is a Yirg or some other small sized wet process.

Yeah David, I also thought some small SO wet processed ... thats why I guessed the PNG ...but a Yirg? Nup ...

A Yirg un-roasted has that beige-come-brown f-ugly tone (like a dry processed bean looks surely)?

Next ...

Comment

...unless its a washed Yirg!
        (we have had em)

You guys must be bored!

The selection criteria was a washed bean that roasts well. Lets see... short and round, not quite robusta round but more round than a western african.

Colour? Colour on the camera, colour in the lighting, colour in photoshop and the card printer then "does its thing". We did a lot of trials (read: wasted LOTS of cards and expensive ribbons) to get the card to the point it is and had to fudge colours along the way so take the colour with a pinch.

Tell me when you give-up.

Comment

I have never seen dry processed Yirgacheffe. I have heard and read about it...but never seen it....hence my guess a WP/washed yirg. The yirg is a really easy bean to roast...comparatively to something like Kenyans.

Im not going to offer any other suggestions. You all have fun figuring out what bean it is! ;D

Comment

Im just gonna say Peru Grace Estate because it roasts so evenly.

Its too late to go out to the shed and check it against the card!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Freeman link=1206272740/0#3 date=1206276923
              Tell me when you give-up.
              ... I give up ...

So are ya gonna, er, spill the beans Andy? :

Tony

Comment

They look almost too clean. Im going to say theyre Mountain Top.

Comment

Originally posted by Wine_of_the_Bean link=1206272740/0#7 date=1206348127
                  They look almost too clean.  Im going to say theyre Mountain Top.
                  yep Anthony, they do look sheeny clean ... could be the photo/lighting touch-ups that Andy alluded to, thats clouding any indication. Hence me giving up, & wondering ...

MT ya reckon? Sparky is the MT affecionado CSr - he may like to comment (if he happens to be on-line & sees this thread!)

Come on Andy, put us (me anyway :-?) out of misery ... WHATS THAT BEAN!

Comment

Fatboy wins!

I would have been shocked if Brett didnt recognise his favourite little green friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Freeman link=1206272740/0#9 date=1206362452
                      Fatboy wins!

I would have been shocked if Brett didnt recognise his favourite little green friends.

Nice bean-spottin there Brett ...

Seeing I initiated this thread, I suppose Ive gotta offer a bloody prize :

pm me your delivery address Brett, & 1kg of premium Indian Baba.... Robusta is yours

... Im out of steak knives, sorry

Tony

Comment

Thank you Tony, but after I posted my guess I had a nasty feeling that I might have discussed the bean used for the picture with Andy when the cards were launched.

I wouldnt feel right taking a prize, but it is a very generous offer.

Brett.

Comment

Originally posted by fatboy link=1206272740/0#11 date=1206708577
                          Thank you Tony, but after I posted my guess I had a nasty feeling that I might have discussed the bean used for the picture with Andy when the cards were launched.

I wouldnt feel right taking a prize, but it is a very generous offer.

Brett.
                          Brett, the beans I mentioned are surplus to my stock, so Im happy to give a kg away ...

Offer still stands mate

cheers,
                          Tony

Comment

Oh all right then!

I still feel guilty, but Ill get over it.

PM sent.

Brett.

Comment

Working...
                            X