Grinds in shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinds in shot

Wouldnt mind some advice from the experts.

Im able to make a decent shot with the right amount of crema but unfortunately Im getting some loose grinds that make it into my shot. This is especially obvious when I make milk-based coffees and its driving me nuts. Ive adjuested by grind to be coarser thinking my grind is too fine but it still comes through.

The thing is Im able to pull a 30ml shot in about 25-30 seconds with the grind I have and applying pressure tamping. Therefore Im not keen to make grind any more coarser. Are there any other variables that Ive missed?

Any ideas or tips to help?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Grinds in shot

30in30

Is what you are getting in your shot fines..... very small particles of coffee?

If so, they could be making it through the small holes in your basket.

Get a pinch of your grind and rub it around in the palm of your hand with your forefinger..... Is the grain size consistent? Or is there a lot of different sizes with quite a lot of very fine particles? If so your grinder is producing an uneven grind..... and you need to at least have it adjusted... (If it has quite a few kilos under its belt- well through its burrs :) the bushings could be worn allowing the burr to move both horizontally and vertically).... They are no where near as well built as a commercial quality conical grinder - and will deteriorate with use far more rapidly.

But if it was me, Id be getting a better grinder in any case. Your machine is high quality.... your grinder is at the entry level for espresso..... and the grinder is FAR more important than the machine - so it will be limiting your shot quality severely.

Comment

how old is your machine? when is the last time you changed your seals? do you leave the handle in the machine when its switched on to prevent the seals from drying out?

if its not the seals try swapping to larger baskets that will hold more coffee, leading to less choked shots and less grind in the cup

cheers,

pat

Comment

Howdie, as funny as it sounds (as this happened to me), check the bottom of your portafillter and make sure there are no coffee grounds on the bottom of it before you brew your shots.

I was dosing and then tamping on the metal base plate of my grinder (where old coffee grinds gather) and it resulted in grinds in the cup.

Silly I know but, just thought I would mention it :-)

Steve

Comment

Thanks guys. The info is useful and certainly try your tips.

JavaB> Yeah, tiny particles make it through. Ill give your tip on interrogating the grinds a try. I was suspecting it to be my basket itself, and was thinking of getting a new one but its still only new (just over 1 year). I was afraid it was the grinder, and was thinking about getting a new one. The grinder is still new, and I havent researched what I want to get yet... but thiking of a Mini Mazzer. The only thing I dislike about the current one is the fact that its doserless and leaves a mess.

Pat> Its just over a year old, so still relatively new. Yep, I leave in the pf in the grouphead when machine is on; but will try the large basket (double) and see if makes a difference. Ive mostly been using the single basket because I generally only make coffee for myself. Until the guests come over...

Comment

Big Steve> Good point! I do sometimes tamp on a (rubber) mat and the forget the of could pick up some grinds. Nevertheless the amount of particles that make it through my shot is much more than what it could pick up. Good advice though! Thanks.

Comment

This happens to me too.. Im pretty sure I have mentioned it on the forum before.

Weird thing is,. I know its not because my grinder setting is on too fine,.. because it happens on the setting I have it on now...only sometimes...mostly it does not happen. The shots from this setting are beautiful,... just now and then Ill get a smear of grinds in the bottom of one cup. Annoying though.

Maybe the tamping pressure is off now and then.. perhaps too light??

Comment

yeah give the pf a good wipe down with a clean dry cloth before using, and check those pesky spouts for traces of grind!

also, do you do a cooling flush before each extraction, then place the (empty) pf back in the machine, after extracting the coffee, and giggle it around a bit whilst running some hot water through it, to remove any spent grind?

a dedicated brush for cleaning the group head is also a good idea, as well as a regular cleaning and maintenance schedule with a chemical back flush

cheers,

pat

Comment

Remy> Cheers. Great to know Im not the only one its interesting actually, occasionally I will pull a shot or two and no fine grind particles will make it through.

askthecoffeeguy> no I dont do a cooling flush before each extraction. Is this something folks would recommend? I clean the group head after each extraction though... I make sure I clean the machine at the end of the day and have a dedicated brush, chemicals, etc. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by 30in30 link=1206609639/0#8 date=1206745721
                    Remy> Cheers.  Great to know Im not the only one    its interesting actually, occasionally I will pull a shot or two and no fine grind particles will make it through.

askthecoffeeguy> no I dont do a cooling flush before each extraction.  Is this something folks would recommend?  I clean the group head after each extraction though... I make sure I clean the machine at the end of the day and have a dedicated brush, chemicals, etc.  Thanks.
                    Yes 30....Good practice on any machine is to rinse whatever you use (i.e. wand and/or group) immediately before and after you use it.

With the rinse of the group, if you dont like the look of the water- spitting and too hot- reject it

Chris

Comment

Working...
                    X