Do you order coffee at a cafe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you order coffee at a cafe?

most of the people here have machines at home and probably make better coffee at home then they do in most of the cafes. And of course some people here work at a cafe, so they sell drinks themselves...
    however, every now and then you have to go to a different part of the town for the day or travel or something like that or you just go out. For example I had to go to Sydney for a couple of days and I have never been to that particular area - had to use my gut feeling trying to find good coffee.

do you order coffee at cafe or restaurants? how do you make a decision whether you are going to have a coffee at this particular place if you dont know much about it? for instance, do you start with looking at who the coffee provider for this cafe is (cafes always brag that their coffee is sourced from vittoria or map or whatever)? do you look at how drinks other people drink look? what then?

Re: Do you order coffee at a cafe?

In a word, NO!

When Im traveling I bring CP with. In the highly unusual case where I run out of that before I make it back home Ill rely on caffeinated sodas to keep the withdrawals at bay.

Over the years Ive been sadly disappointed so many times at the poor quality of coffee in cafes and restaurants that I rarely order it when out and about anymore.

Java "CP, the secret to a well caffeinated traveling Coffee Snob!" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Pretty much a NO here too although i will when i pickup my beans from Nunus new cafe

Generally however i would prefer to order a filter coffee from a cafe - it is a lot harder to F%$@ that up than espresso.

Comment

A few years ago I would have had a coffee anywhere but since becoming a Coffeesnob and home roaster/espresso my expectations have risen markedly.
        If I am going to a major city I usually check out CS for any reports on good cafes or local food guides and reviews.
        In unfamiliar places I check out the roaster they use then the grinders doser to see if it is full of pre-ground, whether the barista is a pimply faced kid or someone who knows what they are about and after that Im in the laps of the gods!!!

Comment

Funny story. I was recently on holidays in Noosa for 10 days. Couldnt get good coffee anywhere. My withdrawals were quite bad to the point where I drove 30-40 minutes out of town to Pioneer Coffee. I must say they make a great coffee and the muffins werent half bad either. Over 10 days I couldnt justify going that far every day. So I spaced out 3 trips over the 10 days and each time I ordered 2 coffees and that kept me going!! My family think Im mad, but I think theyre the mad ones - content drinking black tasteless water dressed up as coffee sometimes tasting like a cigarette butt ! Whose the crazy one - me for driving half an hour for good coffee or them for drinking @#%$% !!!

Comment

Originally posted by greenman link=1207173889/0#3 date=1207175648
            A few years ago I would have had a coffee anywhere but since becoming a Coffeesnob and home roaster/espresso my expectations have risen markedly.
            Well thats me too.

If Im out and about on my own,.. I wont bother with coffee from a cafe and would definitely wait til I got home. If I really need a caffeine hit and I expect to be out for a while yet,.. Im more likely to buy a small bottle of coke to tide me over.

If Im out and about with my mother and sister, and/or children (hubby doesnt  do the shopping thing),.. it is more the ritual and enjoyment of sitting down together to catch up, than the coffee. So yes,.. at those times, we always order from cafes.  However,..having said that,.. we are very picky and inspect things first now, since my mother and I have become coffee snobs.  Its really hard to find a place that we want to risk buying a coffee though, and most times we are getting very average coffees, with the occasional nice one.  But,.. I dont really expect it to be as nice as what I make at home, and therefore not as bothered by this as I used to be. Im really just more interested in relaxing for 20-30mins with good company.

Comment

I used to be an absolute sucker for trying out new cafes. Now I have a pretty strict checklist.

Bean brand? I know what I wont touch.

Clean steam wand? If its got milk crusted on it, I probably will walk out, not just abstain from coffee.

Grinder hopper still transperant and doser empty? Nothing worse than a hopper thats yellow with rancid coffee oils, and a doser that was filled up the night before for the morning rush!

Listen for steaming noises? Does it sound like the milk is being murdered?

Have a look at what other people are drinking? Marsh-mellow-cinos or nice smooth microfoam.

They have to meet all, not just most criteria

Actually, theres probably other things as well but I cant remember right now...

Comment

I frequent three local cafes that take their coffee seriously (all roast their own beans).

If Im interstate, Ill generally look up a CS sponsor.

In an emergency Ill look for a cafe that uses beans from a decent roaster and watch a couple of coffees being made before I order.

Ive taken a gamble on cafes Ive had bad initial impressions of a couple of times; it has never ended well. It never fails to amaze me that so many people who clearly have no passion whatsoever for coffee, put the time, effort and money into running a cafe! Theres a local shop on one of my weekend bike ride routes that was recently taken over by new owners. When a mate & I ordered a latte and flat white the lady behind the counter consulted a cheat sheet before confusedly telling me they were the same thing. Apparently, both a latte and flat white consist of half a takeaway cup of boiled milk (complete with skin forming on the top) and half a cup of tobacco-flavored sump oil.

Its probably not helped by the number of locals who just want a white coffee with two sugars that tastes like the blend 43 they have at home (especially in the retirement State).

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle link=1207173889/0#6 date=1207178376
                  Clean steam wand? If its got milk crusted on it, I probably will walk out, not just abstain from coffee.
                  My wife used to work in cafes, and was instructed in some not to clean the steam wand because it works better if you dont!!!

Comment

[quote ]

Its probably not helped by the number of locals who just want a white coffee with two sugars that tastes like the blend 43 they have at home [/QUOTE]

I reckon that places like airports are probably the worst - too many people stuck there waiting for the plane in the morning - they will drink anything! But hey! at least 99% of cafes grind their beans... Even McDonalds! When I saw that coming to Australia first time I was amazed - hardly any pre-ground or instant coffee ;-)

Comment

Yeah I hit up cafes fairly often, trying to find out new gems. I have my regulars, depending on where I am driving around. I stay away from most coffees youll find in supermarkets as a general rule. Thats not to say that you cant get a good cup in one of those places, using those coffees. Thats how I roll thats all.

When I can, I make it myself at cafe YeeZa, aka my apartment and have it to go.

Comment

Originally posted by YeeZa link=1207173889/0#11 date=1207182196
                        When I can, I make it myself at cafe YeeZa, aka my apartment and have it to go.
                        Good thinkin!!!

Comment

About once a week Ill make a concerted effort to go somewhere new for a coffee. I work as a barista and have a machine at home, but think its nice to check out the local talent and compare. Ill put up with the bad coffees for the one or 2 gems i get here and there.

Oh and something i learned very quickly, DO NOT order coffees at the cinema. It is most definately better to fall asleep during the movie...

Comment

Since about 6 months ago, no I wont buy coffee from cafes anymore unless I know they make better coffees than I can make like at Venezianos First Pour.

Had to buy coffee once from a mobile coffee van at work when i forgot to bring my own beans into work. Bad mistake, needless to say, that was incentive enough never to forget bringing my own beans again.

Comment

Originally posted by m@ link=1207173889/0#8 date=1207179130
                              Originally posted by Michelle link=1207173889/0#6 date=1207178376
                              My wife used to work in cafes, and was instructed in some not to clean the steam wand because it works better if you dont!!!
                              rofl...I just roll my eyes at people like that. Its not my place to tell them what to do in their own establishment. They cause unneccesary maintenance to be carried out...either having to recondition a steam tap or put in a new one.....then theres the issue of boiler contamination.

Comment

Working...
                              X