aging coffee beans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aging coffee beans

Went to a coffee plantation last week, where they leave the parchment covering the green bean on up to 2 years.
    What do you think, does it really change the bean that much/taste.  

Re: aging coffee beans

have we had aged beans before on bean bay andy????????

Comment

Parchment is a big no noon any imported bean entering Aussie. Its a great sensation on the senses to be able to bury your arms into squillions of starchy,yeasty,fruity smelling parchment beans.......good fresh Aussie beans,you little beauty. How are you finding Qld so far Poddy? Good to see you are getting amongst the action.....Yeeehaa.

Comment

Originally posted by elbeano link=1208017429/0#2 date=1208171549
        Parchment is a big no noon any imported bean entering Aussie. Its a great sensation on the senses to be able to bury your arms into squillions of starchy,yeasty,fruity smelling parchment beans.......good fresh Aussie beans,you little beauty. How are you finding Qld so far Poddy? Good to see you are getting amongst the action.....Yeeehaa.
        Thats,..interesting about the parchment needing to be removed before coffee beans can be imported into Australia elbeano. Not that I didnt believe you or anything  ,. but found this when I googled.

Good question Poddy,.. wonder if it does make any difference to taste. Did the plantation that you visited,.. offer any information as to why they leave the beans in the parchment??

Comment

Parchment is a huge no-no in Australia. If you import a whole container load, as most coffee brokers do, and youre unlucky enough to have AQIS spike a bag which may contain the only parchment bean out of the whole shipping container, the whole lot is sent back to the country of origin. Were talking hundreds of thousands of dollars of potential income lost.

I attended the ARC (one of Venezianos suppliers) grand opening of their new facility in Campbellfield earlier this year....they have a section dedicated just for AQIS. As a shipment arrives, nothing is to leave the AQIS area (a yellow line on the ground separating the warehouse from quarantine) until it has been cleared. The table on which AQIS inspects beans itself is built to their specifications and costs thousands of dollars to build (although it looked like a cheapo table to me). Here they look for defects, insects and parchment. Were talking about insects that look like a little speck of dust....theyll see it and flag the shipment....theyll investigate further and determine if the insect is local or not. Really strict quarantine laws surrounding green coffee!

Comment

Originally posted by Wushoes - David S link=1208017429/0#4 date=1208177355
            Here they look for defects, insects and parchment. Were talking about insects that look like a little speck of dust....theyll see it and flag the shipment....
            Wow,. thats fantastic.... but on the flip side...it does make me wonder what kind of process the green bean is put through to eradicate any pests,..so to avoid the possibility of the shipment being flagged by AQIS. Do you know David? perhaps I should do some more googlin. Also,. whats up with the parchment not being allowed?..is it just because it is plant matter? curious minds need to know,.. and so I can bore my rellos with all this info at our next get-together. ;D

Comment

I think they way the bean is cooked matters more just because thats mainly when the flavor comes out in the first place. plus the soil you grow the bean in is another factor for flavor just as everything else.

Comment

Parchment is a dead skin which can harbour plant,insect and or fungal matter. Leaving the parchment on untill immediate hulling/roasting would benefit the bean due to it not losing excessive moisture/essential oils.They can bruise during hulling which leads to paler spots appearing on them which means moisture loss due to over compression ,but roasted immediately would cause no problems. So yes,leaving the parchment on would aid in preserving the flavour of the bean as long as the product was managed properly during processing and storage.........parchment =locally produced=AUSTRALIA.

Comment

Sorry fellow coffee snobs for not replying. my computer had a trojan horse virus.Trojan horse gone not sure where it came from.
                  Over the school holidays contacted high trees estate at alstonville nsw,i told them i was a member coffee snobs, which they new of because andys awards for coffee.Visting is by appointment only i was shown their processing of the berry.Getting back to aging of the beans in their parchment ,the owner said that it is like aging wine in oak barrels it gives flavour to the beans .

I have 5 kg blend of 2006 wet processed & 2006 naturals ,i would like to give half a kilo to a fellow coffeesnob.

These are aged arabica coffee beans from high trees estate let us all know what you think?? type of roaster used etc.
                  I will pay postage
                  cheers poddy66

Comment

Hi poddy

Happy to take you up on your offer, if not to late!!

PM sent

Cheers Gazz

Comment

How were these aged beans packed? I hope they were in mylar 20kg bags like Daterra and Mt Top.

Comment

gazz sending your beans soon

Comment

beans are packed as you say wushoes, roasted some yesterday will keep all posted.
                          cheers poddy66

Comment

How long can you keep aged beans in parchment.cheers poddy66

Comment

Working...
                            X