Bleeding The Shot!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bleeding The Shot!

Has anyone on the forum ever bled their shot? At the Perth tasting day our host gave us two espressos to try. One was bled ie the first second of the shot was allowed to go into the drip tray. The other was poured as per usual. Amazingly the shot that was not bled tasted quite bitter by comparison to the one that was bled, which tasted smoother and more harmonius.

I would like to hear from the experts re this (??FC) as I havent been aware of the practice. :-/

Re: Bleeding The Shot!

Good question Papalui.

Suggest everybody here tries this on a one on one comparison and makes their own judgement of the two results. Whether anyone thinnks its a good thing or not will obviously be a rather individual thing. Ofcourse it will also depend entirely on the type of coffee (beans) being used.

If what you say about the bled shot being more mellow (well not necessarily exactly in those words) is true, it may well be a great thing for espresso only, but is it a good thing for milk/espresso based drinks? Therefore suggest the same comparision with milk coffee as well, with just one small note that it should I think be done with correct sized cappuccino cups and not milkshake-a-chino cups where there is the distinct possibility that the mlik espresso made with the "bled shot" could just lose it all and become even more thoroughly milky with no character.

Regardz,
    FC.

Comment

Its well known in alt.coffee circles that the first few drips are the dirt being washed off the beans, which varies depending on the way the bean has been treated and the type of soil the coffee has been grown in. Hence the rather earthy taste of Indonesian dry processed beans which dont have as much dirt removed.

Comment

Interesting point Wired and I will try it out and compare in the future. I hadnt thought of the "dirt" being washed off before. I like to drink espressos straight without sugar so it could be a factor affecting the taste. I wonder, FC, if one is likely to remove any positive flavour elements by bleeding?

I appreciate the feedback. It crossed my mind that bleeding might also compensate for "dirt" in the machine/portafilter. :-?

Comment

Excuse my ignorance, on this topic.  I am probably missing something completely.

What dirt are you guys talking about?
          Isnt coffee growing on trees and is inside the coffee cherry protected buy the flesh of the fruit?  I though, no dirt from the ground can ever get to the coffee bean.  How does the coffee bean get dirty? [smiley=undecided.gif]

Sorry, if I am not making sense.  

Comment

Jim Schulmans superb espresso guide found at http://www.home-barista.com/espresso-guide-skills.html has a section on this sort of thing. Certainly no mention of washing off the dirt though

Comment

The dirt that Ive seen referred too being washed off with the first flush of water is the bit of fine coffee bean powder from grinding, not dirt as in soil.

Java "Please! No dirt in my beans!" phile
              Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Its been some time since I did biology at high school.... but I dont think el nino and  nuclear tests have changed the fundamentals since then to the extent that plants have mutated to soak up soil.  

Mother Natures funamentals are still intact.

And the fundamentals are that plant roots soak up dissolved  nutrients in the soil -- not the soil itself -- and the slurry works its way up the plant by capillary attraction. Sort of like liquid does on blotting paper standing in water.

Thats primarily why plants die when they are not watered -- they starve to death because theres nothing to dissolve the nutrients they metabolise into food.

Dirt in coffee?  I dont think so.  If dirt climbed up the plant into the coffee bean, then that would also apply for apples, peas, corn, cherries, watermelons... the list is endless, and wed ll be dead from tetanus.

Comment

What a fabulous review!

Thanks for the reference Mark

Comment

Sorry, my comments were entirely in jest.

But it is always interesting to see hypotheses raised for implausable situations.

Comment

Originally posted by Wired link=1122105865/0#9 date=1122462595

But it is always interesting to see hypotheses raised for implausable situations.
                      Hi Wired,

After being caught by your wry sense of humour once already, I was waiting to see how long before someone caught on. Didnt happen though and you got em again ;D,

Cheers Wired,
                      Mal.

Comment

OK Wired. I guess I got sucked in good and proper.

Just tell me though if coffee beans can come with stones, then whats to stop other bits and pieces and gubbins as well?

By the way do you bleed your shots?

Comment

Originally posted by Wired link=1122105865/0#9 date=1122462595

You may have been joking but I actually have seen this referred too as "washing the dirt off". ;D ;D

Java "Having a good chuckle" phile
                          Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

I have just one word for it all. Doh!

Comment

Actually theres nothing stopping foreign material being mixed in with the beans. Hopefully it will be relatively soft and innocuous and wont hurt your equipment or palette.

I havent tried bleeding the shot yet but will probably try it at the William Angliss training day tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X