Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MY New Silvia + Rocky

Hi,
    Have been using my new Silvia + Rocky for 10 days. Got new baskets  for the silvia ( La san Marco). Got the grind on Rockys 5 and I get good shots (30ml 23 sec).
    However I get very wet soupy pucks comparing to the pucks I used to get with my old good Napoletana 2 .
    Any advise befor I get to the Aroma festival??
    Norman : :P [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Re: MY New Silvia + Rocky

My first thought is, is the puck expanding up against the screen and its screw? If not that would lead to a soupy puck.

Java "Theres *gotta be a use for all those pucks!" phile
    Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Gday Norman,
      I used to have the same type of problem, and occasional relapses when I change bean types. Ill list a few things I played with to get a good shot and coincidently the puk turned out like a steaming biscuit.

1. Change the grind setting to make it one notch coarser and tamp a bit harder. If the puk isnt packed firmly, as the water gets forced through it, it gets sloppy. A test to prove a well-packed basket it to turn it upside down (over the bin-just in case it isnt!) If it stays put, good, if not, you need to tamp harder.

2. Dose the basket until its heaped, tap on the bench a few times to settle the grind then level off and tamp. A few twists to polish the puk. Personally, Im not sure if the polish actually makes any difference, but it cant hurt.

3. Dont get hung up on the specifics of 30ml in 30 seconds. Thats a commercial standard and the Silvia isnt a commercial machine in the terms of the same definition. Use it more as a rough guide.

Remember its about the taste and getting consistency than matching a timing rate.

Good luck on getting a firm puk!

Cheers

Boris

Comment

Thanks - I will try.
        The shots have been just excellent .
        Norman

Comment

Try using just a little more coffee in the basket. I can get a sloppy puck if Ive underdosed.

Pretty much what Java and Boris have already suggested...

-Stephen-

Comment

Norman,

I am using exactly the same machine and filter basket as you. Though my grinder is Lux, my previous machine was a Mokita!

I too have the same issue, but it isnt bothering me. If you left the portafilter sit for a minute, the puck will be dry. If you are making another shot, the puck can be knocked out easily and usually in one piece anyway.

Cheers

franjae

Comment

Originally posted by franjae link=1122161001/0#5 date=1122298705
              Norman,

I am using exactly the same machine and filter basket as you. Though my grinder is Lux, my previous machine was a Mokita!

I too have the same issue, but it isnt bothering me. If you left the portafilter sit for a minute, the puck will be dry. If you are making another shot, the puck can be knocked out easily and usually in one piece anyway.

Cheers

franjae
              Hi franjae,

Im using a Mokita at the moment and apart from a current problem relating to a very noisy pump (sounds like a jack-hammer ), I never have problems with sloppy pucks. Always fill the PF basket to slightly heaped, tap lightly on the bench a couple of times to settle the grounds a bit, top up again til slightly heaped once more then strike off level with the handle of the coffee scoop that came with the Mokita. Tamp this down to about 7-10 Kgs then lock-in and pour.

Always end up with a firm, dry puck that has a light impression of the shower-screen and water dispersion nut in it. In fact, once the pucks have cooled down, you can pick them up and drop em back into the knock-box and they will not break-up or crumble. I just wish I could find a way of quietening down the damn noisy pump, its starting to drive me up the wall [smiley=evil.gif]. Mustnt let it beat me though.... twitch, wink, grimace!

Cheers,
              Mal.

Comment

Working...
              X