What beans are these?  ID needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What beans are these?  ID needed

Ive just started roasting (again) and have some beans that have been in the cupboard for nearly 3 years. I have 2Kg Brazil Cup of Excellence, 500g labelled Colombian Pensilvania SC18, and 500g labelled 6 (thats all, just 6 without the quotes).

The bag labelled 6 would have been in a newbie pack with the Colombian Pensilvania, purchased here in June 2005. I checked my old emails, but they dont list the beans in the pack, unfortunately.

I know its a long shot. The 6 beans are smallish and chocolate brown in colour (very dark, a real chocolate brown, almost like roasted beans, and not pale in colour like all the others). They roast up nicely - and have quite a strong taste. I dont know enough to be able to describe the taste of them

Im hoping someone might have records or a long memory ;D ;D ;D

Re: What beans are these?  ID needed

Ive done a bit of research and found that decaffeinated green beans are brown in colour. So Im thinking the ones in the bag marked 6 might be these ones.

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1116255902

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1117362432

Could anyone verify that? Would be nice if thats the case. Means I have coffee to drink late at night

Comment

Sounds like you have answered your question with the research.
      The Decaf beans are very dark in comparison to green beans in general, i was quite surprised the first time i started roasting them.

Mal

Comment

Thanks, Bob.  Sounds like thats the answer.  Ive just made a blend of the decaf (?) with the Colombian and its quite nice.  Very smooth, not that strong tasting but pleasant.  Will be an excellent bedtime brew.  Might be more tasty tomorrow when they are a couple of days old.

Would probably be even better with a bit more body to make it interesting.  Have to wait till next month when I get some more beans.

EDIT: Should mention that the crema was excellent. Only roasted them yesterday so I dont know if it will last. But its the most crema Ive had in a while. I was beginning to think the Oscar wasnt capable of producing good crema and pleased to see this blend has proven me wrong

Comment

Oops, sorry Mal for calling you Bob I misread your screen name and missed your sig

Ive just started hanging out here again and not really got to know anyone yet.

BTW - just discovered the rest of the June 2005 newbie starter pack. Now Ive got to try to identify numbers 1 to 5; or just roast, brew and enjoy blind

Comment

Decaf was what I was thinking when I read your description of the beans. If they came from a starter pack you probably dont have more than 600g of them, so I wouldnt really be worrying too much about what decaf they are, just roast and enjoy.

Comment

Wow... "2Kg Brazil Cup of Excellence" is a great find in the cupboard.

It was from a time that CoE was not well known and pretty good value. The same quality CoE coffee would be 3 or 5 times as much as the $30/kg you paid for it now.

I also think that would have been one of the very first starter packs offered too, nearly a collectors item in 2008.

Enjoy whatever they are!

Comment

Thanks Andy and Viviane.

Ill have to lay off roasting the Brazil CoE at least until I have a bit more practice I recall picking beans that looked good for my first buy, but didnt realise the value would rise. These will be my special occasion beans - ooh I wish you hadnt told me that, Andy. Im going to be so reluctant to use them now.

I think some of the ones in the starter pack were pretty good coffees as well - I just wish I knew which was which. Ill roast in small quantities so I can see which ones I like and how to roast them best, which is probably more relevant than which is classed as the best (or most valuable) in any case

Comment

Working...
                X