Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A better method for the storage of Green Beans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A better method for the storage of Green Beans?

Another slant on the "best" method of storing green beans....

Mal.

Re: A better method for the storage of Green Beans

Very interesting.

Comment

fantastic!! cant wait until we move into a house! ( the bus has a freezer no bigger than a shoebox )

L

Comment

Better buy a bigger freezer...................

Comment

I must admit my knowledge of green beans in general, let alone, the best way to store them is fairly limited. But reading that article, it does point out some interesting things that make my mind tick.

Hmm, Id like to hear from those who are mean, green bean fiends.

Comment

Originally posted by redzone link=1209711916/0#3 date=1209721405
            Better buy a bigger freezer...................
            I did, last year. Now I just have to empty the frozen food out of it and my greens will be safe.

Comment

Hmmm...

When green beans arrive in jute, Howell repackages them, flushing them with nitrogen in vacuum-packed Mylar bags that are boxed and frozen

If I freeze a loaf of fresh bread and then later thaw it I can taste that it was frozen and it also then goes stale in a few hours.

I would have thought that freezing green beans would cause the moisture to expand and crack the internal cells, this would have to then create a difference in the chemical process of the roast.

Maybe not all bad if the article is correct!?!?!

I smell a CS blind cuptasting session in this.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Freeman link=1209711916/0#6 date=1209724482
                Hmmm...

When green beans arrive in jute, Howell repackages them, flushing them with nitrogen in vacuum-packed Mylar bags that are boxed and frozen

If I freeze a loaf of fresh bread and then later thaw it I can taste that it was frozen and it also then goes stale in a few hours.

I would have thought that freezing green beans would cause the moisture to expand and crack the internal cells, this would have to then create a difference in the chemical process of the roast.  

Maybe not all bad if the article is correct!?!?!  

Hmmm,... but did you flush the loaf of bread with nitrogen in vacuum-packed Mylar bags and box it before you froze it? You forgot right?? then that would be why. *snort*

Comment

Seems the storage method costs more than the beans themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Freeman link=1209711916/0#6 date=1209724482
                    Maybe this can be slipped into the future Roast Offs as a spanner.

Comment

Bloody mind boggling alright .....

Never ends does it? You think youve got the storage of your green all sorted and then someone like this bloke comes along and turns it all on its head. Think Ill wait a while before buying a new freezer though and all that dry Nitrogen gas management hardware : ,

Mal.

Comment

I really like what Daterra are doing - two separate vacuum packs with mylar, then into boxes of 24kg total. Easy to stack and carry, and smells ultra-fresh when its opened!

Comment

I am trying not to be sceptical, but there is something that doesnt quite fit here from a logical or practical perspective.

Comment

Its a pity he didnt compare 2006 frozen beans with 2006 jute-bagged beans. It comes across as a good idea for keeping vintage beans that you want to keep using, but says nothing about beans you would use up in the shorter term. I agree that Daterras packing method sounds great, though. Im sure I heard Mark Prince talking about someone doing this green freeze, too, but maybe it was Howell.

As for it being worth it commercially - rather than a cupping session, a meeting with the accountant might be in order first...

Comment

Working...
                            X