Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee Machine Timers?

Hi guys,

What are people doing to turn their machines on (that don't have timers built in) especially with the time the E61 needs to heat up (roughly 20mins).
    What I am thinking of, is getting a wifi smart plug and setting an on/off time to reoccur daily e.g turn on 530am, turn off at 10am.
    The smart plugs would also allow me to turn the machine on when I am out, allow me to be able to make a coffee straight away when I got home..

Here comes my next question..
    Given that the machine has an on/off switch, would it be OK to leave the machine switch on (at all times) and use the wifi switch to turn the machine on/off? This would basically mean that the machine is being turned on/off at the wall plug, rather then the machine itself..
    What are peoples thoughts?

That is basically what I do and have been doing for I would guess the last five years. Belkin Wemo is what I use, occasional issue when it can’t find the machine but that is very seldom. Do recall reading somewhere on CS that this type of switch can be used by a hacker to access your home network

Comment

Originally posted by Mono View Post
      That is basically what I do and have been doing for I would guess the last five years. Belkin Wemo is what I use, occasional issue when it can’t find the machine but that is very seldom. Do recall reading somewhere on CS that this type of switch can be used by a hacker to access your home network
      Great!
      So this doesn't effect machines at all, as you are not using the on/off that is inbuilt on the machine, essentially you're turning it on/off at the wall..

Comment

I can only speak for myself and my Rocket Evo but yep, no issues noted....

Comment

I will be exceptionally surprised if the machine's switch does other than connect/disconnect 240V, which is precisely what a socket timer will do, some centimetres further along the wires. There are things like TVs and other computer-controlled stuff which do not truly turn off when you press their [probably remote] off switch. While you do not name your machine, I doubt it has that level of sophistication; most E61 machines do not have or need it.

Comment

I used a Wemo for a few years but last year moved to a TP-Link HS100. I really like the new plug as I found the Wemo was lagging a bit with technology. EG: To get the Wemo to play nicely with Google Assistant or Google Home was a chore using IFTTT and other tools.

The TP-Link plug uses an app called Kasa and was very easy to set up. Quite useful to be able to do the "Hey Google, coffee machine on" command when heading back from somewhere (back when we were allowed to visit people - before "The Event").

I have actually had an issue with my switch some time back, but I don't think it was caused by staying in the always on position. My machine has a red rocker switch and a number of years back had a wiring issue that turned out to be the switch plastic perishing due to not enough heat protection in the area.

Comment

+1 for TP Link with KASA App on Android smartphone. I have an ECM E61 machine and leave it turned on the whole time, on the machine itself. I have it programmed to switch on and off at certain times during the week and a later time at the weekend. If I decide to turn the machine on outside of these settings, I just press the On button on the TP Link. Having done that, I just need to remember to turn it off again also!!

Occasionally there are firmware updates, which are easy to manage. The only thing I noticed is that the schedule hasn't updated for daylight savings. That is quite likely my fault and I will look into it.

Comment

Sounds good guys, thanks for the info!

is anyone also using a surge protector?

Comment

Indeed....

A decent Surge Protector is great insurance to have.

Mal.

Comment

I have used an arlec wireless switch for a few years, worked ok, the app is specific to the arlec and wouldnt always update actual status of the device, which isnt a huge issue, you can just swith on/off/on if not sure.

I recently got a Mirabella genio wifi switch, it runs on the genio app and as i found out it also runs on many other apps that control wifi devices like light bulbs etc.

Its noticably quicker to respond and provides update on actual status when turning on the app, and works with alexa and google home etc.

another coold feautre is that when you turn it on you can set a timer to turn it off after a set time.

I have noticed arlec now do a line of wifi power boards, switches, etc, and they all work on the same vaapps.

Cheers

Comment

https://coffeesnobs.com.au/forum/equ...ences-opinions

This might be a useful thread

Comment

Ok, I am going to purchase a Cygnett Smart Plug (currently on sale for $24).
                        Why this one? Well, I am well invested in the Apple Ecosystem and this is one of the very few smart plugs that work with Apple’s HomeKit/Siri.
                        I believe it also has energy monitoring along with timers etc. Whilst also allowing 2x plugs fit in a standard wall outlet.
                        I will also be using a surge protector as well.

I will let you all know how it goes..
                        Thanks for your responses!

Comment

• roryhilton
                          roryhilton commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Stuart, how did you get on with the Cygnett?

I run apple iphone, SONOS wifi with Alexa and a shiny new Rocket Espresso Giotto Cronometro Evoluzione R that I want to turn on in the mornings and off after I go to work, hopefully via schedule and also on demand via Voice or app. I don't want much. lol.

Originally posted by 338 View Post
                        Yes - I made a couple of comments in there about Bluetooth switching mechanisms from Clipsal (see post #40 and others)

I ended up getting one installed and it works well. I have it set for 2 hrs, but can switch it on via my phone or iPad - albeit in Bluetooth range. It is only rated for 10amps so powers a single outlet, just above the existing double.

Comment

Another vote for the wifi smart plug. Eve energy make a cool one that will tell you how much power your coffee machine is using too (which was of particular interest to be because I’m a power obsessive compulsive).

Comment

Originally posted by fatboy_1999 View Post
                            I used a Wemo for a few years but last year moved to a TP-Link HS100. I really like the new plug as I found the Wemo was lagging a bit with technology. EG: To get the Wemo to play nicely with Google Assistant or Google Home was a chore using IFTTT and other tools.
                            I have a Wemo; it's still flakey as anything! Does the job for scheduled daily on/off but half the time you actually want to use it to turn the machine on remotely it refuses to connect... And don't even get me started on Google Home integration. Also bought a bunch of Wemo light bulbs - those won't even connect to wifi to set up the controllers any more!

Comment

Working...
                            X