Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning stainless steel coffee machine

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cleaning stainless steel coffee machine

    Hi guys,

    First time posting on here, however have been a lurker for a while..
    I have recently purchased a new machine and wow is it shiny.
    I am wondering how to keen it shiny. It’s polished stainless steel by the looks of it and the machine came with a micro-fibre cloth, so I have been using that thus far.
    How are others keeping their machine looking “as new”?
    It seems (even from new) that the stainless steel has smear marks on it, I am assuming that is just a characteristic of the higher end machines with the stainless steel polished finishes - its not as if theyre marks, just more so smear streaks in the stainless steel. Is there anyway to polish these out?
    Any advise is well appreciated!

    Cheers!

  • #2
    Welcome Peter...

    You just need two decent quality microfibre cloths.
    Dampen one slightly with clean water and run this over the panel first and then immediately follow this up with the dry cloth.
    Will keep your machine in showroom condition for years and no accumulation of unnecessary cleaning products...

    Mal.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Dimal View Post
      Welcome Peter...

      You just need two decent quality microfibre cloths.
      Dampen one slightly with clean water and run this over the panel first and then immediately follow this up with the dry cloth.
      Will keep your machine in showroom condition for years and no accumulation of unnecessary cleaning products...

      Mal.
      Great, thank you Mal.

      Is there any proven stainless steel polished put there to remove those light streak marks that form on this shiny stainless steel?

      Comment


      • #4
        What Mal said...

        On the smears, I have a couple of stainless steel appliances (not super shine) and with one I received “stainless steel cleaner” which is just white oil. It does get things off, but leaves an oily coat, which works fine on a cheaper s/s cooktop, but I don’t like it on other appliances. You can buy stainless steel wipes, but they are usually just small paper towels with white oil.

        On my ECM, I have found that using a bit of warm soapy water first, with a Chux or paper towel, cleans it up and then follow Mal’s instructions. Just do it when the machine is cold - if the water evaporates you are back to bigger marks.

        Comment


        • #5
          Hmmm, not really mate.
          Anything like that will probably result in permanently marring the finish in some way.
          Are the streak marks you're referring to, a permanent blemish, not just skin oils?

          Mal.

          Comment


          • #6
            Hard to photograph. This is under some downlights with a flash turned on. Maybe the finish is more a chrome finish rather then stainless steel.
            it is probably what every machine shows up close? To the naked eye you wouldn’t really notice..

            Comment


            • #7
              I use spray and wipe on one microfiber cloth and polish with another. Works for me and yes do it when the machine is cold.

              Comment


              • #8
                Water & vinegar in a spray bottle 1:1 + microfibre is great for cleaning stainless around the house - I presume it would carry over to a machine

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by 123peter12 View Post
                  Hard to photograph. This is under some downlights with a flash turned on. Maybe the finish is more a chrome finish rather then stainless steel.
                  it is probably what every machine shows up close? To the naked eye you wouldn’t really notice..
                  Ah yes...

                  That looks like rotating polishing disc marks left behind during the manufacturing process. This has been queried before but is quite impractical to try and polish out completely. Just keep using the microfibre cloths as you have been and that will keep it as clean and polished as is possible...

                  Mal.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Dimal View Post
                    Ah yes...

                    That looks like rotating polishing disc marks left behind during the manufacturing process. This has been queried before but is quite impractical to try and polish out completely. Just keep using the microfibre cloths as you have been and that will keep it as clean and polished as is possible...

                    Mal.
                    Thanks Mal.
                    Are coffee machines normally polished stainless steel or chrome? I am finding it hard to confirm which of the two it would be.
                    Thanks.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      It'll be stainless. Occasionally there are some smaller chrome parts on the odd machine, but by and large it's all stainless.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Yep, what 'ninja said...

                        Mal.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Yeah looks like a standard light brush finish that you find on many of these machines. You won’t be able to alter the finish itself but if you want to clean water marks and finger marks off it you can use a little bit of WD40 on a paper towel then polish with a dry cloth.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by LeroyC View Post
                            Yeah looks like a standard light brush finish that you find on many of these machines. You won’t be able to alter the finish itself but if you want to clean water marks and finger marks off it you can use a little bit of WD40 on a paper towel then polish with a dry cloth.
                            The odd thing is the entire machine is mirror finish, doesn’t really have the might marks. I dare say its just apart of the manufacture purpose. Nothing can be done imo.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X