Basket size and dose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basket size and dose

Would you dose 19gm in a basket rated at 18gm or a basket rated 20gms? VST recommends plus/minus 1 gm. I guess what I'm really asking is how important is headspace. Is a finer dose with more headspace going to give pretty much the same result as grinding coarser with less headspace.
    Last edited by barri; 15 May 2020, 07:42 AM.

I think it is a bit dependent on the basket. Some seem to not only tolerate +2gms, they seem to perform better. So my seat of the pants ( no science) answer is +/- 1gms will work.
    I do think it is a good question about optimal headspace .I think on the DECENT DE1 thread, they are exploring headspace and mouth feel.

Comment

I have a few VST basket ranging from 7g to 22g. I normally dose a little higher than the basket rating. For example, 18.4g for the 18g basket. The reason is that I try to get a clean puck when I knock it out. Makes cleaning a bit easier.

Comment

I think the dose weight is given as a + - in order to allow for different screen heights of different machines, and different weight of roasted beans.
        either way, the 5c test is a guide to the height of grinds in your basket to allow for headspace to the screen. You may need to run a little lower if you are still getting a load of grinds into your screen

Comment

Originally posted by FNQ View Post
          I think on the DECENT DE1 thread, they are exploring headspace and mouth feel.
          I'm very interested in that one as I've just ordered DE1Pro. I've read that many users are using spacers to provide less headspace for what they claim is better mouthfeel and drier pucks

Comment

Originally posted by Jackster View Post
            the 5c test is a guide to the height of grinds
            Actually both ways pass the 5c test. My gut feeling at this stage is 19gms in 18gm basket with less headspace is better than 19gm in a 20gm basket for what lancruiser said but I guess taste is really what's it all about but I was just curious to see what others thought.

Comment

I think it has more to do with the beans, freshness and roast depth than anything else. After all, it's the results in the cup that should be the driving force behind all aspects of puck preparation. Some lightly roasted beans will do better (in the cup) if the basket is slightly underdosed and the opposite for deeper roast profiles. How dry the puck is, may occasionally line up with quality in the cup but shouldn't be a deciding factor...

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimal View Post
                How dry the puck is, may occasionally line up with quality in the cup but shouldn't be a deciding factor...

Mal.
                Yes, that is true. Clive Coffee in the US has a video where they dispel myths about espresso and that was one of them. When I was using a Rancilio Silvia for espresso, the higher dose (14.5g) tends to give me a better cup. Now that I am using a Profitec 500, I find it makes little difference. However, I still prefer a dry puck. I believe I am in good company - James Hoffmann has the same preference.

Comment

Originally posted by lancruiser View Post
                  However, I still prefer a dry puck. I believe I am in good company - James Hoffmann has the same preference.
                  Yep, me too but not essential...

Mal.

Comment

I just don't want coffee grinds getting pulled into the screen, and through the machine. Fwiw my 18g vst on the Musica takes... yep- 18g. Pucks flick out and don't need a knock.
                    though I think a lighter roasts are lower in the basket, but I don't worry to add any extra at present

Comment

Working...
                    X