• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow!!!
    You'd want to be keen wouldn't you...

Mal.

Comment

338 Dimal sorry guys, I was in hurry and crossed my wires, the 10k coffee samples, same size as above, are $500USD each.
      Last edited by chokkidog; 26 May 2020, 06:16 PM. Reason: punctuation

Comment

Obviously you get so many samples above US$350 a cup you get confused!

Comment

Curiousity got the better of me and so I opened the Panama Savage this morning.
          The roast date on the pack is 15.04.2020.
          I ground 8g of bean on a 'medium' grind on the 'Rocky' - which I thought looked about right from the pour that resulted.
          Used my small cup - 120ml - for the single shot with about 80ml of water and a 40ml shot in 30 secs.
          The pour looked fine, starting to blond about the half-way mark. Probably 5 secs too long.
          No particularly distinctive/noticeable bouquet from either bean, grind or pour.
          Minimal Crema, but that is normal with my pours.
          I am sensitive to acidity and there was no noticeable acidity here. Likewise there was no distinctive citrus/flowery/spicey character. In fact there was nothing I could characterise as 'distinctive' at all.
          It was a soft/smooth pleasant lighter style of coffee - unremarkable really. If you were served this in a cafe you would think "Nice coffee of a lighter style".
          Nowhere as interesting/distinctive as the Ethiopia Ardi Naturals that I had from Beanbay - which I really enjoyed, or for that matter the great lighter styles done at my 'local' in Canberra.
          Now - it may be that I have 'washed-out' any character with too much water in a single shot so I am going to reserve judgement at this time and have another go on Friday with a double shot and an increased coffee to water ratio.

Comment

It's the roast date 15/4 or 15/5? If it's 15/4 they're past 30 days post roast

Comment

Yes Roasted 15 April. Took a fortnight to get shipped to me and then another fortnight until my birthday, so well over 30 days before it's first pour.
              Not the ideal 'window' to be at it's best but I'm thinking it should not have deteriorated too much in the interim. Bean looks in good condition and I am usually quick to pick up that 'stale' smell of a bean that is on the way out. I'd venture to say that it is at the end of its drinking window.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
                Yes Roasted 15 April. Took a fortnight to get shipped to me and then another fortnight until my birthday, so well over 30 days before it's first pour. Not the ideal 'window' to be at it's best but I'm thinking it should not have deteriorated too much in the interim. Bean looks in good condition and I am usually quick to pick up that 'stale' smell of a bean that is on the way out. I'd venture to say that it is at the end of its drinking window.
                As long as it was stored in it’s sealed packaging in a cool dark place for a majority of that time then it will still be good. Now that it’s open it will probably age faster though so I’d enjoy it frequently while it’s good.

Comment

Just finished drinking my second attempt with this bean.
                  Double shot in my 150ml Terra Keramik. 60ml shot, 70ml water 30 sec pour.
                  Much nicer result from the adjusted ratio. This is a smooth good-tasting lighter style coffee with just a hint of citrus.
                  No particular nose and no discernible specific flavours other than the general hint of citrus.
                  Maybe someone who fancies themselves with a connaisseur's palate for coffee could pick more out of this but I certainly cannot.
                  Conclusion: Wasted on me. Value for money - give me the Ethiopia Sidamo Ardi Naturals from Beanbay which speaks to me with a louder voice.

Comment

Beautiful cup to drink it in though!

Comment

Yeah, Andy, wish I had a few more of those in some of the other colours which are absolutely spectacular.
                      I have the red and yellow but I'd love a full set even though I rarely need more than two for Son and I.

Comment

What is that cup.... It's a thing of beauty

Comment

• Barry O'Speedwagon
                          Barry O'Speedwagon commented
                          Editing a comment
                          150ml Terra Keramik (as per Rocky's post )

Originally posted by Rocky View Post
                        Yeah, Andy, wish I had a few more of those in some of the other colours which are absolutely spectacular.
                        I have the red and yellow but I'd love a full set even though I rarely need more than two for Son and I.
                        I've always regretted not buying some but even when the dollar was at parity they were "crack money".
                        Still among the prettiest, best proportioned cups ever made for a long black I think.

Comment

These photos off the net don't begin to do them justice but give an idea of the colour range.

Comment

Yeah, I wanted to give you a chance to try before saying anything, but I sort of don't get having washed geishas roasted for espresso. They're very hard to extract. I find that sometimes you only get aroma out of them when you can push an extraction yield above about 23.5%, which is crazy high. Like I don't think that the industry standard linea PB + Mythos with 20g dose in a 20g vst and 40g yield gets anywhere near that. Anyway, I'm posting up to say I'll probably join the 11am Decent Espresso zoom call and tackle a coffee that's very similar to this.

Comment

Thanks for your comments Luca, I did another pour for 'Morning Tea' with my Son this morning.
                              He's a Flat-white drinker and I reduced the proportions with both his Flat-white and my Long-black to ensure that we got to taste whatever it had to offer.
                              He agreed that there is no significant bouquet from either the grind nor the pour, but he did like it and thought it had a distinct citrus quality that was very pleasant.
                              I enjoyed it more this morning than previously - using a 50:50 ratio - and could almost pick some other flavours happening, but not quite enough to identify.
                              I think I will drink the rest of this pack as Ristrettos and shots. It is a very nice bean but just placed at a disadvantage by the price which sets up unattainable expectations.

Comment

Working...
                              X