No announcement yet.

Red African Cocoa / Drinking Chocolate.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red African Cocoa / Drinking Chocolate.

(The old poll about drinking chocolate was removed as it was 3 months old and confusing now)

In a previous thread we had a suggestion from RustyFence and some other CSrs that our drinking chocolate was a little too sweet...

So I picked up my 1kg of the African Red yesterday and made up a cup of hot chocolate.  Gotta agree with the others that it makes a nice cup of hot chocolate, but just wish it wasnt quite so sweet.  

Looking at the pack info the mix is around 67% sugar.  I used to work in the cane sugar industry and have nothing against the stuff, but 670g of sugar in the 1kg pack is proving a bit much for my taste (kids love it though, of course, and Im sure many others like it that sweet too).

I dont like the chances of unmixing the cocoa and sugar ... so maybe Ill have to doctor it a little with some supermarket cocoa.  Would be ideal if the supplier made just the cocoa available so it could be sweetened to own taste.  Would also reduce delivery costs by more than half - not having to ship a whole lot of sugar around the country. And another advantage: those who prefer the molassesy taste of real raw sugar would be able to use that rather than the white refined sugar used in this product .... But then again, maybe some people wouldnt pay $15 for 300g of the pure cocoa.

The Cote dIvoire Red African Cocoa is being offered for the first time in this BeanBay.  

This red African cocoa blend is 100% cocoa, no sugar, no fillers, no dairy and gluten free.  

The 500g packet will make 1.5kg of normal sweetness rich dark drinking chocolate but you have the choice of which sugar you add and how much of it with the added bonus of not having to pay freight for sugar.  This produces a really stunning dark red, rich hot chocolate.

8-)

Re: Red African Cocoa / Drinking Chocolate.

Mmmm gonna have to give this a try - I like my drinking chocolate dark and not very sweet.

Comment

Excellent stuff Andy,

This is by far the best way to buy superlative chocolate..... Kudos to you again mate [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Mal.

Comment

I will definitely take this one. Really like chocolate but cant handle the sugar...

Great one Andy!

Comment

This interests me also.

Lately I have taken to making my own hot chocolate, with just a bit of no-name cocoa and various spices & some vanilla. I still use a hint of sugar just to smooth things out a bit.

Comment

A great time of the year for spiced chocolate.

This cocoa is rich and dark with 22% cocoa solids which is 3 or 4 times more than most garden variety cocoa so the flavour will be vastly different although I guess if you are adding enough spices it might not matter as much?!?!

Im curious which spices you are using Myrtle?

Comment

Hmmm... Im interested in the drinking chocolate but how strong will it be? Hot chocolate is one of the most requested items now Ive got a milk steamer but will this be too strong/bitter for most people?

Comment

Spice in chocolate...reminded me of hot choc with a hint of clove and nutmeg. I had that in a chic cafe in Indonesia, not sure if I like it, but it is different.

A hint though, cloves and nutmeg are strong spices.

Comment

Originally posted by Ali link=1213616165/0#6 date=1213678767
                  Hmmm... Im interested in the drinking chocolate but how strong will it be?  Hot chocolate is one of the most requested items now Ive got a milk steamer but will this be too strong/bitter for most people?
                  My daughter takes a level teaspoon of powder in her hot chocolates everyone else likes a heaped spoon.

It would be up to you how strong you make it.

Comment

Hey...Lindt chilli choc. Maybe could do the same, I got powerful chillies from last summer harvest.

Comment

I have just been using some all spice, cinnamon and nutmeg - probably about 1/4 tspn of each per cup. It varies every time I make it, depending on how heavy handed I am (and how late at night). I have also tried using a few drops of vanilla essence.

I havent tried cloves - might have to give it a go.

Occasionally I might add a hint of chilli powder. Just enough to give a bit of a tingle

I am interested in trying this now - I didnt appreciate there were such differences in cocoa. I dont really like the cocoa I am using now - but have been looking for a suitable alternative.

Comment

This might convince me to have chocolate instead of decaf in the evening. Hmmm... maybe alternate nights for variety.

I love a hint of nutmeg in chocolate, and maybe a drop of good quality cinnamon, especially in cold milk drinks. When its hot, I tend to savour the pure chocolate, but still might sprinkle a bit of spice on the top of frothed milk.

Havent tried adding chili - sounds intriguing.

Comment

I have a drinking chocolate here with cinnamon and chilli. The chilli gives it an after kick. Most people try it and like it for something different but prefer plain hot choc.

Comment

Most people try it and like it for something different but prefer plain hot choc.
                            We find much the same thing & only have it occasionally.

Comment

Andy thank you.

I was so pleased to see the Cote dIvoire Red African Cocoa on offer, I loved the flavour of the previous African Red but the sweetness was just too much.

Anyway I have just finished my first cup, it is the smoothest, richest and most delicious cocoa I have had, it might even distract me from my coffee

I am officially putting it back on my wish list!

Comment

Working...
                              X