X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those one way valve bags

Hi,
    FIrst time coffee snob.
    I am wanting to get into roasting at home, I am just sourcing the materials.
    Do one of the site sponsors supply those one way valve bags??
    Thanks

Re: Those one way valve bags

Hi

Welcome to Coffeesnobs.

You can get some from Andy in BeanBay under other stuff.
    Or if you want to buy a lot - get some from coffeeparts.

Ben

Comment

Hi grigden and welcome to CS!

You can purchase bags from either Coffee Parts or Coffee Snobs - Buy Green>Other

Comment

Thanks for the tip, thats great.

Glynn

Comment

There havent been any bags for sale in Coffee Snobs - Buy Green>Other for a while now...

Comment

I like the 250g bags from CoffeeParts. Their opening is wider than other bags, so I can fit my hand inside to wipe them out after use.

Comment

Hi all

Yes I have a few wider bags (~ 15 x 21 cm) but found that the ones from here are taller and narrower and I dont like em as much. I think the narrow ones would be fine for putting under a spout that dispenses coffee beans at a shop but its harder to pour beans into them without a spout and harder to clean them. Id like the wider ones.

Mike

Comment

How do you clean the bags? I have a couple Ive been re-using -- was just wiping them out with a tissue each time. Then last week I did this, tipped my freshly roasted Mysore Nuggets in, had a sniff -- eeyoow -- stale coffee smell! Tip beans right back out again -- are they contaminated?? (sniff)

Then I tried to wash the bag. With dishwashing liquid. Now Ive got a bag that smells of soap as well as stale coffee

Not an advance, I feel...

Comment

Hi simone

1. I rinse out with hot water to remove most of the old bean crap.
                  2. Then add one drop of washing up detergent and fill with hot water from tap.
                  3. Rinse around inside with washing up brush
                  4. Leave soak for 1/2 h to give detergent time to get at all the oils
                  5. Tip out and rinse well with water.
                  6. Fill again with water and let soak for 1/2 h to get any traces of detergent into the water.
                  7. Final rinse 3 or so times with warm water and let drain.

Finally - if any bags smell a bit rancid from oil then ditch it.
                  Eventually your bags will need to be ditched even with good washing after use. But youll lets lots of use from them.

Mike

Comment

Thanks Mike. I assume you mean to wash this way after each use, but once they start to smell bad-coffee bad, thats the end.

Those coffee oils sure are tenacious!

So Im going to end up with a collection of very fine zip-loc bags that are no good for storing coffee. Cant throwem out -- theyre still good (for something -- look they even hold water!) Aarrggh.

Think Ill have to look into something more biodegradable, or at least recyclable! Old ice-cream containers, anyone?

Comment

Hi Simone

Oh Yes! Wash it out after **each** use or the oils will go rancid.
                      I get about several uses per bag.
                      And yeah its a shame to throw them out and ecologically bad as they are not a recylable plastic :-(

Mike

Comment

My hand is too big to fit into even the Coffee Parts ones for cleaning so Ive been lining them with cheap (generic brand) freezer bags.

I throw these out when the beans are gone, leave the bag to air and put in a new one next time I use that bag.

I rotate through several bags so that they have time for the airing.

I think the ziplock will wear out eventually and occasionally I heat seal one bag when I roast a two week supply, especially if its been reused several times.
                        I can only heat seal them so many times.

Try the freezer bags; they are less then 0.01c each and extend the life of the valved bags to many, many uses.

Comment

Hey, very neat idea Thundergod :-)

Comment

Thanks.

If you want to go one step further you can reuse the used freezer bag as a knockbox liner before it finally makes its way to the garbage bin.

Comment

TG> by the way, that is an awesome idea. Ive been doing the same thing and lining my one-way valve bags with freezer bags since I read it in one of your earlier posts. Works a treat and saves me a bundle with cleaning and buying more... thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X