Fellow atmos coffee volume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fellow atmos coffee volume

Just curious if anyone has tested the maximum amount of whole beans that the largest fellow atmos container can hold? Sites state 16oz which is 450g. Which I find an odd number as when I purchase beans it's either 500g or 1kg. Just wondering if people can store 500g or it just physically doesn't work. Thanks heaps!

450g is close to 1 pound, which might make sense in the North American market.

Comment

Originally posted by prh View Post
      450g is close to 1 pound, which might make sense in the North American market.
      Fair point. I just like the design. I own a airscape which holds way more than 500g easily

Comment

I vastly prefer the Airscape design and functionality over the vacuum canisters for the storage of roasted beans.

Java "Not even a close race" phile
        Toys! I must have new toys!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Javaphile View Post
          I vastly prefer the Airscape design and functionality over the vacuum canisters for the storage of roasted beans.

Java "Not even a close race" phile
          I wasn't sure how they compared. Obvuously minimal effort needed for the airscape. I might look into investing in a ceramic as I have a SS currently

Comment

I have both a large Airscape that easily fits 500 grams and a smallish (I think it is the medium 10oz) size Atmos.

Funnily enough not really using either as making most coffee at work. But the Atmos mechanism is annoying and the green dot is not shown after a couple of days as the beans gas out a bit anyway. It is a neat looking device but I prefer the Atmos, both do seem to keep the beans better than a bag in terms of freshness.

James Hoffman did a really nice review on YouTube if you haven't seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0JWuhE8a-w

Comment

Originally posted by roosterben View Post
              I have both a large Airscape that easily fits 500 grams and a smallish (I think it is the medium 10oz) size Atmos.

Funnily enough not really using either as making most coffee at work. But the Atmos mechanism is annoying and the green dot is not shown after a couple of days as the beans gas out a bit anyway. It is a neat looking device but I prefer the Atmos, both do seem to keep the beans better than a bag in terms of freshness.

James Hoffman did a really nice review on YouTube if you haven't seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0JWuhE8a-w
              I've seen a few reviews on it. My question was based around whether the large atmos held 500g.i know the large airscape hold 500g as I have one haha. And I know the bigger size holds around 1kg. Yeah I read that it can degas over a couple days but I use my airscape daily, so that wouldn't be an issue. I was just thinking in terms of freshness and whether the design was a much better choice over the airscape. Otherwise I'll just look at investing another airscape but maybe a ceramic version

Comment

• roosterben
                roosterben commented
                Editing a comment
                Have a look at Hoffman's review, he stores coffee for 6 weeks or something then does blind tasting. But doesn't really test the capacity etc. But yeah if the largest Atmos doesn't fit a half kg bag that would be really annoying if that is your go to bag size.

I reckon an Airscape with a Vacuum pump slide down internal lid like on the Atmos would be interesting.

Correct. 500g is my bag I grab from my local roaster, can't do less but can do more. That's why I wanted to know if someone with hands on experience could tell me if it was physically possible or not

Comment

Originally posted by roosterben View Post

I presume the 2nd Atmos was meant to be Airscape.

Leaving them sealed for 6 weeks I wouldn't expect a lot of difference. However, if they were opened every day as if in normal usage and then resealed I suspect the outcome might be a bit different, and at quite a bit earlier than 6 weeks.

Also I'm very surprised he didn't test the grand daddy of the home vac packing systems alongside the others. The FoodSaver, using a multiplicity of encasements. It's capable of producing a much harder vacuum than the ones he tested.

Java "Big fan of FoodSavers...but not for fresh coffee" phile

Comment

• roosterben
                  roosterben commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yep thanks Javaphile, I must have got myself lost in Atmos-sphere :-)

The Airscape is my preferred of the two and much easier to use.

Originally posted by Javaphile View Post

I presume the 2nd Atmos was meant to be Airscape.

Leaving them sealed for 6 weeks I wouldn't expect a lot of difference. However, if they were opened every day as if in normal usage and then resealed I suspect the outcome might be a bit different, and at quite a bit earlier than 6 weeks.

Also I'm very surprised he didn't test the grand daddy of the home vac packing systems alongside the others. The FoodSaver, using a multiplicity of encasements. It's capable of producing a much harder vacuum than the ones he tested.

Java "Big fan of FoodSavers...but not for fresh coffee" phile
                Absolutely love a food saver but not for coffee hahaha. Freezing items to keep freshness 👌

Comment

The latest bulk items to be vac-packed and put into deep freeze, 10kg's of smoked/BBQ'd pork shoulders after 16 hours of low and slow BBQing.
                  Almost ready to come out of the smoker:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200908_223707415.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	324.2 KB
ID:	842644

Java "Done too perfection!" phile

Comment

• Dimal
                    Dimal commented
                    Editing a comment
                    JP, did you have to post that photo up?
                    I finished dinner here a little while ago and now I'm hungry again...

• Javaphile
                    Javaphile commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Gotta throw a batch out there every once in a while just so y'all can check your salivary glands are still working.

Java "Smokin' up a storm" phile

I vacuum seal with my FoodSaver and freeze coffe beans once they've finished most off gassing. Works a treat as long as you get a good vacuum in the bag, otherwise freezing them doesn't seem to slow the aging down much. Just make sure to get them out of the freezer the day before you open the bag so it can get to room temperature prior to opening the bag, otherwise the condensation will sit on the beans and they'll likely go mouldy. In an emergency I once microwaved a bag straight out of the freezer until it was pretty much room temperature. Didn't notice any ill effects.

Comment

Working...
                  X