No announcement yet.

Sunbeam espresso machine like a Rolex.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunbeam espresso machine like a Rolex.

From todays Australian, the machine depicted was a Sunbeam EM5300, hardly comparable to a Rolex, wlll most certainly not last a lifetime, perhaps a little more research would have been in order.
    Regardless, well written article.
    Seems drivers in WA are pretty much the same as their Crow Eater counterparts.
    Here's a link to the piece in the Australian for those that can access it.https://www.theaustralian.com.au/wee...b8b04801a311fa

Why a good home coffee machine is an investment for life
    Like a Rolex, but more usefulThere I was, pootling along the freeway on a new two-wheeled death trap, when I smelled coffee. Not literally, of course, because at 110km/h on a West Australian freeway all you really focus on is other road users who’ve forgotten that their vehicles are equipped with mirrors and indicators. This is a Western peculiarity I’m having difficulty with; another is the inexplicable tendency to stop at roundabouts even when no other vehicles are approaching from the right. Anyone stupid enough to ride a motorcycle in WA needs to be on top of the local customs.
    Anyway, in my mind, I smelled coffee and before anyone else had attempted to change lanes in front of me, indicating only when the manoeuvre was complete, I pulled into a filling station with a view to refresh, refuel and refocus.
    I know what you’re thinking: Why on earth would you buy coffee at a petrol station? And usually you’d be right. But the hardware suggested I’d come to the right place: sitting beside the bain-marie with its sad and overpriced sausage rolls was a gleaming Synesso coffee machine – a coveted object of industrial design excellence in coffee circles.
    “Hand-built to order by a small team in Seattle,” says the distributor’s website. It probably comes with a trucker’s cap, tattoos and beard. Indeed, these high-end American machines are the bee’s knees, according to most serious baristas, and cooler than a genuine, vintage Steely Dan T-shirt. To buy one, we’re talking $20,000 plus. The Mazzer Italian commercial grinder next to it – again, industry-leading stuff – reinforced the message, as did the bag of beans on display, produce of a prominent national roaster with an excellent reputation.
    So I ordered coffee. “Great set-up you’ve got here,” said I to the lass at the helm of this desirable rig, for while I’m no coffee geek, I do appreciate both the end-product and the hardware that goes into making it. How could you not?
    She managed a murmur of acknowledgement – perhaps her mother had told her not to talk to motorcyclists – at which point the penny might have dropped. The die, however, was cast.
    Because we have no issues with waste disposal in this country, my long macchiato was presented in a disposable cup with not even so much as a grunt this time. For this privilege, her colleague took five of my increasingly worthless Australian dollars. Five.
    I get it when I take coffee at my favourite local cafe – which I do a lot outside of school holidays – with music and papers, wi-fi, service, blah blah blah, but $5 for a truly, truly ordinary coffee consumed at an outdoors, socially-distanced picnic table? There’s something deeply wrong with this country.

Aldi’s Lazzio-brand beans are an unmitigated bargain.
    There’s nothing wrong with our appetite for coffee, though. Anecdotally, sales of domestic machines have boomed during Covid and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if a fair percentage of those sales were “forever” purchases: that is, made by people who’ve had cheap espresso machines from China in the past and decided to upgrade to something that’ll last, theoretically, forever. With the appropriate grinder to boot. Covetable pieces of chromed cast steel.
    I went this route about 15 years ago and, yes, you need to be prepared to amortise the cost over a long period, but in the end you have the benefit of better coffee and a machine that gives you joy. Who needs a car built this decade?
    A friend of mine – a modest, highly intelligent man who is not wealthy by any stretch – did exactly this recently, spending $4500, but the pride he has in the new set-up is palpable. It will last longer than him. Like a Rolex, but more useful. Hope his son likes coffee. He’s open-minded, my friend, so I hope he’ll take on board my suggestion that Aldi’s Lazzio-brand beans are an unmitigated bargain. After dropping that kind of money on his domestic coffee set-up, you’d image he’s looking for a few savings.
    Maybe my new friend at the servo should give it a try?​

Thanks for posting this. Good that it points out the disposable nature of the appliance store machines. If I wanted to be critical it probably exaggerates the cost of owning a durable espresso machine / grinder combo. You can get an excellent Italian combo for about $2500 if you shop around carefully and that is no more than the top end of the appliance store machines.

I will go out on a limb here and question the desirability of purchasing one the fancier machines with complex electronics. I accept that they should be more capable of hitting the 'sweet spot' with their added temperature and pressure controls. However do they run the risk of obsolescence say if the electronics fail say in 10 years time and the parts are no longer available? I would be happier if the electronics were bolt on modules that could be replaced just like heating elements or grinder burrs. That would also make it easier to upgrade even by DIY or using after market parts.

Comment

At least most new European made coffee machines are probably priced fairly reasonably. A new Rolex definitely isn’t.

Comment

I guess "value for money" is subjective. I have convinced myself that a Rocket Evoluzione R is reasonably priced and I should get one. My wife thinks it is ridiculously expensive.
        Rolex, on the other hand are "prestige" items - like a LV handbag or a Mercedes. They are not items you buy with "value for money" in mind. You buy them because of a range of other factors. You can always convince yourself they are 'reasonably priced' or 'value for money' if you try hard enough. Now, the Rocket ......

Comment

• Yelta
          Yelta commented
          Editing a comment
          Go for it Rocky.

Rolex essentially run a cartel. They have been one of the best marketers and market creators over the last 60 years. 60 years ago they were still a brand that made somewhat utilitarian watches for the ‘everyman’. Now they keep prices artificially high by restricting supply and controlling the ADs. Rocket do none of those things and even the most expensive Rocket is cheaper than most Rolexes so I say go for it Rocky.

Comment

Yes, Rolex are unique. They are a private company and answer to nobody and consequently do pretty much what they like. Most companies would love to be in their shoes.
          They still make a good product that, with the proper servicing, will last for generations and can therefore be passed down as a family heirloom. It's an idea that many find appealing in a 'disposable' world. The target audience is financially sound business people and professionals. The wealthy people are into a much more rarified level of watches including Patek Philippe, Vacheron Constantin, Richard Mille, Audemars Piguet etc. some of which start where Rolex finishes. I've always thought Omega make one of the best value quality watches and I like IWC a lot also.
          I think there will a be a Rocket in my future.

Comment

Working...
          X