No announcement yet.

[BNE] - Group Cupping Session / Meetup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Everyone, I am fine with 21/22 Nov or 28/29 Nov. The 14th is not suitable. Please let us make a decision soon.
    Sat or Sunday morning is fine with me.
    I will arrange for some very nice coffees for us to cup on the day. I will be choosing some green coffees to buy, so input and comment from others will be welcome and interesting. There are a couple of 85+ beans that I have in mind, so you will be guaranteed of some excellent coffees to sample.
    Visitors are welcome to bring along coffee toys.
    If there is enough interest, we can also do some home roasting and discuss techniques etc.

Comment

• EspressoAdventurer
      EspressoAdventurer commented
      Editing a comment
      A big thanks for offering to host BL.
      21/22 or 28/29 all fine with me.
      Cheers

Sunday am would be best for me. How about the 29th?

Comment

Let's firm things up before Xmas comes.
      Sunday the 29th of November sounds good to me.
      Those who can make it, please either message me or post your intent in this thread.
      I will provide the address via message to everyone who wants to come along.
      Please post what toys you would like to bring along.

Comment

• roosterben
        roosterben commented
        Editing a comment
        I can do Sunday 29th AM, count me in.

I just received a new toy, if we have time after cupping for having a look at interesting coffee stuff, 1ZPresso JX Pro hand grinder.

• zingzing
        zingzing commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi BL - I can attend from mid morning if that's ok (Kids have nippers).

I'm in. If anyone wants me to bring Niche and / or DE1+ happy to bring along to play with. Also fine to just get into the cupping and talk coffee. Once we have a confirmed group let's discuss what beans folks would like to test drive. Cheers, Tim

Comment

• Bosco_Lever
        Bosco_Lever commented
        Editing a comment
        The Niche/DE1 would be very welcome. We can do a side by side comparison with my Bosco.

Works for me BL.
      PM you as requested.

Comment

For those who are planning to attend, does anyone have a strong preference on what beans we cup? Would folks rather sample a specific region, processing type, varietal etc for example? Personally I'd be keen to ideally pick a few beans that typify a few regions and contrast against each other, but happy to change course based on others and / or what we have on hand rather than start buying a bunch of new beans that will likely end up being too fresh at the time of cupping unless we get our skates on. Fwiw on hand at present I have: - washed Kenyan Gathaiti - 3 different washed Guatemalans - possibly some washed yirgacheffe but not sure how much I have in the freezer Can't imagine we need much for this cupping session.

Comment

I can offer up a Honduran , with a cute PNG peabury to accompany !
          And / Or a Columbian peabury.....maaaybe one to many peaburies?

Comment

I have sent my details to those who have expressed interest in coming along.
            If there is anyone else, please let me know so that I can share details with you.

Is mid morning okay?

Comment

• roosterben
              roosterben commented
              Editing a comment
              Mid-morning is good for me, I will pack a few goodies from the following;
              1ZPresso JX Pro, Flair Classic, OCD V2, Pullman BigStep Tamper, Niche Zero, Brewista Smart Kettle (variable temp, gooseneck), Chemex/V60

Not showing off just more if anyone wants to see/have a play with any of the above then let me know. I will pack the kettle anyways as this might be handy for cupping.

I am quite experienced with coffee hardware,making coffee and a bit of home roasting experience but total newbie with no experience of cupping. Bosco_Lever if you wouldn't mind listing a few minimum items we need to bring for cupping. I don't have any special beans for cupping (not roasing at the moment) but can look to pick up something interesting single origin for the day.

• Bosco_Lever
              Bosco_Lever commented
              Editing a comment
              I will have some Ethiopian, Colombia, PNG, Kenya, Honduras, Indonesian coffees to cup. Plenty to choose from. You are welcome to bring the types of coffee you prefer. All toys are welcome.
              I also have 3kg of roasted coffee (espresso) that will be available to play with.

• Bosco_Lever
              Bosco_Lever commented
              Editing a comment
              The Niche Zero will be very welcome ( as well as the other toys), for comparisons.

View from the cupping area.......... Click image for larger version

Name:	20201117_090132_resized.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	849246
            Attached Files

Comment

Items for cupping/tasting.

I suppose individual spoons for cupping would be an idea.
              I have 6 small bowls which are ideal for cupping, we may need more...
              I also have a reasonable number of disposable cups we can use for cupping/ spitting.

Any suggestions, please post.

Comment

I have a ton of IKEA glasses that hold about 200ml which I normally cup with (180ml + coffee grinds). I'll bring them, spoons and scales along with the decent and niche. Given covid, would folks prefer to share cups, decanting into shot glasses to taste, or just all use our own cups and duplicate the beans being cupped for each person. I'd probably vote for option 2 but happy to be swayed if folks prefer the shot glass option.

Comment

• Bosco_Lever
                  Bosco_Lever commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sounds good. I think we will adapt and work out a happy medium.

Hi Guys
                I can bring a number (about 6-8) of "sake' style bowls which are just dandy as individual tasting bowls - portion size.
                I Can add a Lido Hand Grider to the already mentioned 'Amarda'* of equipment available on the day.
                Either RoosterBen or E&F may have prev mentioned one as well.

* Thinking this Could make a cracking good Photo Op !

Looking forward to meeting everyone. And again a big shoutout to BL for the kind offer to host.
                Cheers

Comment

• Bosco_Lever
                  Bosco_Lever commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sounds good, all grinders welcome. There will be quite a few coffees available for cupping.

Unfortunately can not make it this Sunday , due to an appointment at noon. But definitely looking forward to the next gathering.

Comment

• Bosco_Lever
                  Bosco_Lever commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sorry to hear that, looking forward to catching up at future gatherings.

If everyone aims for 10am this Sunday (29th) it will be a good session for all.
                If anyone else would like to come along (even for a short time, please be advised you are most welcome. Just message me for the address.
                Don't be shy.

There is plenty of room and it will be a cracker of a day with perfect weather forecast.

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Comment

Thanks for an awesome day, all. I had a blast

Comment

Working...
                  X