Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a plunger

Hello all

Coffee newbie here, loves a good coffee and learning to make one myself!
    I work in IT and as such a good coffee is essential to have a good day.
    I live in Sydney and so far the best cappuccino Ive ever had is at the Central Station
    coffee cart. Now I dont go there everyday and wish that I can start learning to make
    a good coffee at home.

I googled around about buying a coffee machine and was just overwhelmed of so much
    information on how to make a good coffee! I decided I better start with a low-cost
    investment first and opted for a plunger.

Now, is there any brand recommendation to buy a plunger? Tips?

Thank you

Re: Buying a plunger

I recommend a Bodum.

They cost a bit but its worth it for the quality as opposed to the "cheap" ones around.

I think I saw some at Peters of Kensington the other day that were a bit cheaper than at other outlets.

Comment

Hi afton and welcome to CS!

For little more than a good plunger, you can get an AeroPress (we sell them).

Ive sold dozens of them to CSers in the past few months - and for good reason

Take a look here for more info...

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1203772677/5#5

Comment

Originally posted by cuppacoffee link=1215261362/0#2 date=1215266247
        For little more than a good plunger, you can get an AeroPress (we sell them).
        Hi cuppacoffee,

Thanks for the suggestion, whats the difference in taste between
        AeroPress and coffee plunger for the same coffee?

Is this review http://june4bellies.blogspot.com/200...aeropress.html accurate?

Comment

Hi Afton

And welcome to CS

I got an Aeropress from Cuppacoffee before travelling OS and found that with a little practice it can make a really nice coffee. Im really happy with it.

IMHO its quite superior to a plunger and I prefer it to my stovetop. (though not compared to my Espresso Machine)

For about $50 its a geat investment in reasonable coffee

However you need to get good fresh coffee to get the best out of any process.

Regards
          Robert

Comment

Hi afton, Dennis here from cuppacoffee.

There is a huge difference between a plunger and an Aero. The Aero uses as small amount of water and this is forced through the grinds and a paper filter by air pressure. Therefore the coffee doesnt stew in water before being served.

The coffee produced by an Aero has IMO a much cleaner taste than plunger, probably due to the short steep time and excellent filtration - there is no sediment left in the cup.

Then again, plunger coffee is thicker in mouthfeel, as a fair amount remains suspended in the cup - not necessarily a bad thing - just different.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis link=1215261362/0#5 date=1215328708
              The coffee produced by an Aero has IMO a much cleaner taste than plunger, probably due to the short steep time and excellent filtration - there is no sediment left in the cup.
              Interesting.... ok, what would be a good coffee for an Aeropress?

Comment

Originally posted by afton link=1215261362/0#6 date=1215729595

Interesting....  ok, what would be a good coffee for an Aeropress?
                I particularly like the Antigua Pastorales, Daterra Sweet Collection, Huehuetenango and PNG Kimel.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis link=1215261362/0#7 date=1215729983

I particularly like the Antigua Pastorales, Daterra Sweet Collection, Huehuetenango and PNG Kimel.
                  Thanks for the quick reply
                  Whats the suitable grind setting for Aeropress - espresso, filter or plunger?

Comment

Originally posted by afton link=1215261362/0#8 date=1215730954
                    Whats the suitable grind setting for Aeropress - espresso, filter or plunger?
                    Definitely nowhere near plunger - the coffee would pour through far too quickly!

Coarser than espresso and finer than filter - depends on your grinder to some extent, though try half-way between the two as a starting point. At worst, youll only make a couple of sacrificial shots before finding a sweet spot.

Comment

Afton;

Today I had coffee from plunger and aeropress. Aeropress gives comparatively clean, grit-free, non acidic coffee as compared to plunger. For people that is used to thicker brew (due to suspended solids), aeropress will taste a bit weaker.

But thats personal preference. I liked my recently bought from Dennis aeropress, in some ways it is an improvement from plunger, but I would treat them as two separate drinks. Heck, get both if you can

I have put 4 different SO in the aeropress, all works great and I put them in espresso grind. Just need to press harder, and I found it gives better brew than coarse grind. Again, personal preference. You can make short or long brew, another advantage over plunger. Oh, and I got crema and thats a big plus.

Aeropress is easy to experiment with.

Hope this helps.

Rudy

Comment

Originally posted by rudy link=1215261362/0#10 date=1215749026
                        Oh, and I got crema and thats a big plus.
                        WOW! I dont own an Aeropress (yet) but I didnt think crema would have been that possible with it. I would have though the paper filter would have impeded it. But what do I know? : (dont answer that)

Comment

Beg, and I will let you in the secret :

Comment

Yep, you do get a kind of "airy" crema but I dont know that it is actually crema as produced from an espresso machine. I think it might be more associated with the "bloom" that occurs after the hot water hits the freshly ground coffee..... could be wrong of course :-?,

Mal.

Comment

It is not the same one as you get from espresso machine, but better than complete flat of course

I am going to try a few variables tomorrow to see if I can produce thicker bloom :

Comment

Working...
                              X