Green bean storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green bean storage

Sorry if this has bean covered but, with Rocky’s thread in mind, I just spent half an hour searching on this topic with no joy.

I store my green beans in the cotton BB bags, in a heavy, near airtight cupboard in a cool room.
    However, I currently keep multiple bags together in plastic tubs with lids to keep the room clear of green bean smells.
    What is the likelihood of cross contamination of flavours between the beans?
    Would it be better to keep them in seperate containers?
    Perhaps put each cotton bag in an unsealed freezer bag and stand them all next to each other with the plastic bags open at the top.
    What do you lot reckon? Click image for larger version  Name:	6C90080D-30D7-4304-BDD1-EDC4E4C45F8B.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	116.8 KB ID:	858440

I don’t think it will make any difference at all. To impart flavours on green coffee you really need to immerse them in something like a flavoured liquid or scented gas. If you had something with a very strong odor stored with them in the containers then it would possibly affect them over time, but just having different coffees stored together won’t be a problem at all.

Comment

• amberale
      amberale commented
      Editing a comment
      YaY!
      I was hoping to keep it simple.

Storing like you have will be fine, as long as you don't see moisture on the tubs they won't get mouldy and that would only really happen with direct sunlight on them. "Cool, dark dry" is what I always say, same environment that you would keep a loaf of bread.

In fact storing beans together will equalise the moisture content as the beans are hydroscopic and will happily transfer water between each other and our cotton bags allow them to breathe. That can even lead to better pre-blended roasts of dissimilar beans too.

Comment

• amberale
      amberale commented
      Editing a comment
      Excellent, thanks Andy.
Working...
X