Barako Coffee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barako Coffee

Not really a request, though I would be game enough to snatch a bag if it comes along.

It is phillipino.

I have heard about it, not sure if it is buyable in green.
    Apparently it is neither robusta nor arabica.

Re: Barako Coffee

Originally posted by rudy link=1215644345/0#0 date=1215644345
    Apparently it is neither robusta nor arabica.

Apparently its not coffee then.  :

Comment

They call it liberica or something...cup stronger than robusta with very distinct flavour.

But that is second hand information, not until I get to roast it and cup it properly...

Comment

This might help...

"While the Barako has become a generic name for all coffee from Batangas, real Barako refers to Philippine Liberica and is known for its particularly strong taste, powerful body and distinctly pungent odor…"

"Of the four identified species of coffee (Robusta, Excelsa, Arabica and Liberica), Liberica has the largest cherries and therefore, bigger beans."

"barako has a distinct flavor, aroma and body that makes it unique"

"be warned this coffee is not for the sensitive. Afterall in the vernacular, "Barako" is a term that refers to male strength, vitality and machismo"

"Barako Coffee or Coffea liberica is a rare and exotic coffee species found in the Philippines. Brought by the Spanish from Brazil in the 1800s, it now exists in only 3 countries in the coffee producing world. Barako coffee has a strong, bold aroma and a pungent, nutty flavor"

"Barako is nearing extinction"

...I have to say rudy, "Good call", it sounds interesting.

Comment

It does sound interesting but out of all the long list of brokers that we use I have never seen it.

I had wondered before why we dont see any coffee from the Philipines as their climate is right for it and their neighbours produce some great coffee.

Comment

Thanks Wrecker, this makes it all the more interesting.

Strength and machismo, eh?

Comment

Well, lets ponder it from this perspective:

How much more "coffeesnob" could we get than to insist on including a "rare", "exotic" coffee that is on the "verge of extinction"!??

Apparently, many in the Phillipines prefer it over Arabica so it would seem to be a very local and acquired taste.

As coffee is in itself a wonderful accompaniment to conversation, I can clearly see serving some Barako as conversation in itself. Im sufficiently intrigued to join your hunt...

Comment

I guess were not gonna see it on a BeanBay anytime soon huh? haha

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Freeman link=1215644345/0#4 date=1215648590
                  It does sound interesting but out of all the long list of brokers that we use I have never seen it.

I had wondered before why we dont see any coffee from the Philipines as their climate is right for it and their neighbours produce some great coffee.
                  It may have something to do with certain plague that destroy many coffee plants. I wonder if thats why a lot more robusta is around nowadays, including crops from Philipines.

There is a vendor in Australia, though I cant post the website.

Comment

Pricing is reasonable, 3.50 per 250 gr roasted.

I am trying to get in touch with the guy to see if he does green.

Comment

Originally posted by rudy link=1215644345/0#9 date=1215650646
                      Pricing is reasonable, 3.50 per 250 gr roasted.

I am trying to get in touch with the guy to see if he does green.
                      :-? At that price, I suspect that you will most likely get exactly what you paid for. At $14/kg roasted, I suspect that the best case scenario will be poor quality and barely drinkable....

Comment

Yeah it seems too cheap for a rare coffee. Rare, but not necessarily good/drinkable.

Comment

I am more concerned if it is not real Barako.

If it is authentic Barako, I will gladly drink it even to find it tastes like battery fluid...

But then I wouldnt imagine local Phillipino to dish up particularly large amount for macho coffee :

Comment

Maybe you have to be macho to drink it.

Comment

Nah...real macho coffee is made by triple pass brew with moka pot :P

Comment

Working...
                              X