No announcement yet.

More Fibre in Coffe than Orange Juice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Fibre in Coffe than Orange Juice.

http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=4594

Re: More Fibre in Coffe than Orange Juice.

Hi all

All I can say is Ummmm .... medical research results again.
    I would never attempt to get my dietary fibre (soluble or not) from my espressos. I think those researchers have lost the plot or the Diabetes site has been selective in their extraction of paragraphs. But then again what shall I do; try and look up the original scientific paper or go and make myself a shot from MT Bin 478 roasted by nunu. The later wins.

I just feel like being a Skeptic tonight :-)

Mike

Comment

Yeah, it is pretty funny...

Still, who am I to complain -- I never liked all-bran anyway :

Comment

And if one wants to get soluble dietary fibre from your espresso machine you will need to give that all-bran an extra grind ... its too course for the PF as is :-)

Mike

Comment

A little while ago someone was scrambling eggs with their steam wand (badly).

Now its all-bran through the grinder and into the PF (mashed up mushy all-bran -- double yuk)

Methinks me and my beloved Mazzer are going into hiding...

Comment

Ill take that as fact, its gives me one more reason to be a Snob !
            CB

Comment

Originally posted by speleomike link=1216033209/0#1 date=1216035683
              Hi all

All I can say is Ummmm .... medical research results again.
              I would never attempt to get my dietary fibre (soluble or not) from my espressos. I think those researchers have lost the plot or the Diabetes site has been selective in their extraction of paragraphs. But then again what shall I do; try and look up the original scientific paper or go and make myself a shot from MT Bin 478 roasted by nunu. The later wins.

I just feel like being a Skeptic tonight :-)

Mike
              The article never suggested that a person attempt to get all their SDF from coffee. Only that it has a significant amount of SDF compared to other drinks and because people drink it regularly and often, it can make a significant contribution (up to 10% depending on where you live) to your daily intake. And all this time we have been assuming that it contains 0 SDF. Nothing fishy going on there.

Comment

I count coffee as part of my daily fruit intake.

Comment

TG maybe it should be "a coffee a day" keeps the Doctor away !

CB

Comment

Thats great to know, thanks for posting. According to the article a cup of filter coffee (250mL @ .47g/100mL) has about 1.2g of fibre, about the same as 100g of lettuce. Perhaps the fibre content explains why coffee makes you feel full, whereas tea doesnt have the same satiating effect. Ditch the celery and pickup the plunger! Unfortunately espresso doesnt have much fibre according to the article - only about 0.2g per shot (30mL @ .65g/100mL). But given that about ninety-something percent of espressos are thin and underextracted, chances are they were using an underextracted shot in the trials. A real, coffee snob espresso probably has more fibre :P

Comment

Working...
                    X