Double ristretto base - commercial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double ristretto base - commercial

Ive noticed a few good cafes have been using a double ristretto as the base for their standard drinks, eg. if you order a flat white you get a 30ml double shot for the base.

Was wondering what others thought about this. I think its nice personally.

What would you pour if someone asked for a double then?

Re: Double ristretto base - commercial

I dont get out and about to visit cafes much but at home, that is the basis for nearly every drink I make. Sometimes, for a change, Ill adjust the grind slightly so as to produce a full shot but even then I tend to pull them slightly faster than the so-called "ideal", cutting them off at around 22-23 seconds. Makes for a really sweet and creamy shot that realises accents of the coffee otherwise missed I reckon. Ristrettos(Doubles) are still the mainstay though..... 8-)

Mal.

Comment

I reckon it depends on the type of coffee youre using. Some coffees Ive found need that extra run to get a fuller, more rounded flavour.

Comment

For milk based drinks it has merit, but I hate when I order an espresso and I am served a double ristretto.

Comment

thats what I got today, ordered a macchiato and got a double ristretto mac. Was very nice though. I think i prefer it that way but I would like to know thats what im getting without having to work it out and ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Pioneer Roaster link=1216451409/0#3 date=1216455877
            For milk based drinks it has merit, but I hate when I order an espresso and I am served a double ristretto.
            Same.... I mean I want it to last more than 1/2 a second ;D
            ....but seriously, its annoying when I ask for a doppio espresso, and get a doppio ristretto

Comment

Up on the coast you even say doppio and they look at you like a stunned mullet... sort of stops you from pronouncing ristretto next.

Comment

Originally posted by BrighterSide link=1216451409/0#6 date=1216507877
                Up on the coast you even say doppio and they look at you like a stunned mullet... sort of stops you from pronouncing ristretto next.
                Yeah- amazing that they use a machine and many would call themselves baristi (In the "Im a barister" sense ) and yet they dont know the makes of their tools.

What if you asked a mechanic for a spanner and was presented with a screwdriver? :-? ;D

Comment

Same.... I mean I want it to last more than 1/2 a second
                  ....but seriously, its annoying when I ask for a doppio espresso, and get a doppio ristretto
                  Yeeza, while in Ballarat recently I asked for a double Espresso, but I got some wierd looks and the girl serving asked me if that was just black coffee no milk. I said to her it is 2 shots of espresso poured in the 1 cup. I got a standard espresso sinlge shot.

Comment

Originally posted by martybean link=1216451409/0#8 date=1216513836
                      Same.... I mean I want it to last more than 1/2 a second  
                    I got a standard espresso sinlge shot.
                    Sure it wasnt just a double ristretto ;D ;D

Thats when you change your order last minute for a tea haha

Comment

Naah i think it was to weak and thin to be a double ristretto.

Comment

ESPRESSO MACCHIATO FIORDILATTE - try getting this one at Gloria Jeans! :

My wife brought home the name and "recipe" from a mate at work. It took me a few times to "do the cream" as I was making butter it seemed, but it has become my new afternoon sensation!

It is an espresso ristretto with a dash of steamed double cream. 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by Mal link=1216451409/0#1 date=1216452087
                          I dont get out and about to visit cafes much but at home, that is the basis for nearly every drink I make. Sometimes, for a change, Ill adjust the grind slightly so as to produce a full shot but even then I tend to pull them slightly faster than the so-called "ideal", cutting them off at around 22-23 seconds. Makes for a really sweet and creamy shot that realises accents of the coffee otherwise missed I reckon. Ristrettos(Doubles) are still the mainstay though..... 8-)

Mal.
                          Ive been messing around with varying my dose lately.

I find that 14-15g 30ml shots seem to be ideal for the lighter blends.

Recently i got some darker beans, and the 14-15g 30ml shots were just waay too strong for a single 180ml latte. But the 15g shots split nicely between two cups. The minimum i can fit into a sunbeam single basket is about 11g. Still too much for the darker blend im using now.

Comment

Originally posted by ezralimm link=1216451409/0#12 date=1216535463

Ive been messing around with varying my dose lately.

I find that 14-15g 30ml shots seem to be ideal for the lighter blends.
                            Thats another thing Id like to test out. How much coffee you can stick in a basket and still get a good shot. I get nice 25ml shots sometimes from the 7gm single basket in 25sec. Which is different to 50ml from 14gm in 25sec.
                            So what would taste better if you put 2 of the single group shots into one cup and served it beside the doppio?

So how much coffee? Would it help if the basket was a bigger diameter say 75mm instead of 58 so the coffee passes through more evenly and gets out the other side quicker?

Comment

hmm personally the most coffee i would extract from a 14gm basket would be 30mls after that i think youre going to get added volume but not added flavour. For added complexity try upping to larger baskets say 12gm for a single & 20gm for a double but still cutting your pours short to 25ml & 40ml respectively & you will notice an immediate difference in flavour & intensity.

Comment

Working...
                              X