Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do restaurants make such bad coffee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do restaurants make such bad coffee?

I went out to a very highly regarded local restaurant on the weekend. The food and wines were fantastic, but then I thought I’d finish off with a coffee. I noticed they used Vittoria – not a very promising start, but as I was really craving for a coffee I thought I’d give it a try anyway. Well the microfoam was nicely textured, and had a rosetta on top, so I thought it looked like it was made by someone that must know what they are doing. But then I tasted it – very bitter and not very nice at all. I mean, I’ve had worse at some other places, but I expected a lot better of a place like this. It was a real let-down to an otherwise great night out. Why don’t restaurants put as much care and effort in to the coffee as they do on the food?

Re: Why do restaurants make such bad coffee?

if you got a rosetta then i would say your pretty lucky for a restaurant coffee and 95% of people would probably be happy if the milks done right.

I wouldnt expect a good steak from my favorite cafes.

Comment

Sometimes the roasters have a lot more to answer for than baristas!

Comment

They also probably dont do much volume and leave the beans sitting in the hopper too long.

What could be worse than stale(r) Vi!!ori@?

Comment

Originally posted by Wushoes - David S link=1216617761/0#2 date=1216620224
          Sometimes the roasters have a lot more to answer for than baristas!
          My thoughts exactly DS

Comment

Originally posted by GregJW link=1216617761/0#3 date=1216620928
            They also probably dont do much volume and leave the beans sitting in the hopper too long.

What could be worse than stale(r) Vi!!ori@?
            And if its a restaurant classified as "fine-dining" you get to pay 50% more than cafe prices for the privilege.

Comment

Its down to all of the above and user experience

KK

Comment

The coffee at Tetsuyas was great as far as i remember. But somewhere like that has a very tall reputation to uphold, so id expect that. As for other places, my humble opinion is the same as what has already been said above. I guess if they made more coffees, maybe theyd be fresher and thus better?

Comment

I think that, at a lot of restaurants, coffee is just an afterthought. They concentrate on getting the food and wine just right, and the service, but anything else is not so important.

Another thing that irks me is that sometimes they have thirty wines on their drinks list but, if you want a good beer, they only have VB or Crown Lager. Grrr! But Im getting off topic.........

Comment

Hi all

Not only is it that really top restaurants sometimes dont have much in beer choice. I dont drink wine or beer and when I ask for a GI lime cordial to go with my ala carte menu choice I get strange looks.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by speleomike link=1216617761/0#9 date=1216646026
                      Hi all

Not only is it that really top restaurants sometimes dont have much in beer choice. I dont drink wine or beer and when I ask for a GI lime cordial to go with my ala carte menu choice I get strange looks.

Mike  
                      You know what they say
                      The customer is always right until he/she leaves  ;D

KK

Comment

Originally posted by speleomike link=1216617761/0#9 date=1216646026
                        Its like asking for sarsaparilla. "Sa-what?" they say, "never heard of it". Its a personal mission of mine to bring it back into pubs.

Comment

I asked for a lemon, lime and bitters in a pub in Wales and they wondered why I wanted to put lemon and lime in my beer.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1216617761/0#12 date=1216690828
                            I asked for a lemon, lime and bitters in a pub in Wales and they wondered why I wanted to put lemon and lime in my beer.
                            Did you mention that, yes, some Australians are known to add lime or lemons to their beer

Comment

Originally posted by flynnaus link=1216617761/0#13 date=1216693022
                              Originally posted by Thundergod link=1216617761/0#12 date=1216690828
                              Did you mention that, yes, some Australians are known to add lime or lemons to their beer
                              Yeah- thats because that Mexican stuff needs all the help it can get! ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X