What I really really want...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I really really want...

a CoffeeSnobs.com.au authorised card to hand out to cafes who serve bitter/bad/never visit again coffee.

How do you strike up conversations with the coffee-making staff about coffee? Next time I might try it BEFORE my coffee is so sadly abused...

Perhaps about the beans? That way Ill know pretty quickly whether I even want a coffee?

Re: What I really really want...

The beans is probably a good start.
    Then you can ask if theyve needed to change the grind much today.

"Weathers been nice today, I suppose you havent had to adjust the grind much?"

or

"Gee, the weathers changed, I suppose its playing havoc with the grind settings."

Comment

There is not much in Newcastle, apart from the occasional "stunner"

Comment

Originally posted by Bon link=1216624459/0#2 date=1216640075
        And some of Australias best beaches

KK

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1216624459/0#1 date=1216625490
          "Gee, the weathers changed, I suppose its playing havoc with the grind settings."
          Theyll think, "w&*ker", and stamp on your steak (metaphorically speaking)

Comment

I usually start with "What beans do you use?" and if the serving staff and the Barista both give me a blank look its quickly followed by "Actually dont worry Im not that thirsty after all" or hmm ok "Ill grab this here bottled juice (READ: SAFE) instead".

Comment

Originally posted by Bon link=1216624459/0#2 date=1216640075
              Have you tried suspension espresso in Newcastle? probably one of my favourite places.. I recently got told about another decent espresso joint in newwy but i forget the name of it...

they have a great selection of beans, the roaster recently moved to sydney though so now they dont roast on premises, theyre still good though. I will admit it has gone horribly down hill lately. It seems like the staff used to know about coffee, they all got sacked and a bunch of fresh young blood was brought in that doesnt know jack. Occasionally you get one of the original baristas there that can pull a decent shot though...

Comment

I was having a macchiato at a cafe and enjoying the lovely chocolate/fruity taste, when the waitress came to ask how the coffee was I asked her what the beans in the blend were, she replied "100% arabica" which was very enlightening with me thinking maybe some Ethiopian or Kenyan beans were in there somewhere!!!

Comment

Gotta give her credit for trying.

Comment

Well...I guess Im all about the bling... ;D

If I like the look of the machine set up theyve got...including the grinder...Ill have a second look and then check out what beans theyre using. If its anything remotely from overseas, Ill usually walk away.

My fave haunts usually dont advertise which beans they use. And nor should they have to, IMO.

Otherwise...I just go on what others here have recommended, though Ive managed to sniff out a few fave haunts myself over the years.

I think that if you have actually stumbled apon a good place, you should be able to strike up a conversation with the barista, if theyre not too busy. Usually, you can tell if theyre happy for a chat or not. I reckon I can spot a cranky barista from about twenty paces away... ;D but then...I work that side of the machine too! (And no...Im never cranky! :P )

Mind you...these days...all I want to do when I go to a cafe is....HIDE! I dont want to talk to the barista, I dont need to know what grind theyre using today, how old the beans are, which part of the world theyre from, who roasted them....all I want to do is sit down, drink my coffee, hopefully enjoy it if its great and soak in being on the other side of the machine for a change!

Honestly...I dont ask for much! ;D

Comment

Mostly I agree with you, I go to the cafe for the social atmosphere - but I do have one shop/cafe I frequent when I go past (it is about an hours drive) as the owner grows and roasts his own and does a good job of it and is a nice bloke to talk to. He really knows his coffee.

Comment

An hours drive for a coffee!!! Where is this place? I must try it in my travels.

Comment

Originally posted by Sammus link=1216624459/0#6 date=1216909702
                          Have you tried suspension espresso in Newcastle? probably one of my favourite places.. I recently got told about another decent espresso joint in newwy but i forget the name of it...

they have a great selection of beans, the roaster recently moved to sydney though so now they dont roast on premises, theyre still good though. I will admit it has gone horribly down hill lately. It seems like the staff used to know about coffee, they all got sacked and a bunch of fresh young blood was brought in that doesnt know jack. Occasionally you get one of the original baristas there that can pull a decent shot though...
                          Yes, that place doesnt know whether its coming or going!

Decent, fresh beans can usually be sourced there if you buy SOs for home use.. but, they had a tendency to make random blends on the spot and put it through the grinder to serve customers You can source other fresh beans locally that are just as good, if not better now anyway

I dont think the place has been worth going to since Pat and I cant remember his name, but I think its Jack, stopped working there. Its just never been the same.

Comment

Working...
                          X