No Starbucks in Italy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Starbucks in Italy!

I was browsing around and found out that there is actually no Starbucks store
    at all in Italy! - and SB has ~15,000 stores in 44 countries.
    I think they deliberately avoid Italy because they know its just impossible to
    beat the local cafes, or they just want to avoid being burnt down by the locals ;D

Re: No Starbucks in Italy!

If you google Starbuck and Italy you will see many have asked the same question. This site provides one aspect:

http://innovationzen.com/blog/2007/01/15/why-starbucks-is-not-present-in-italy/

The evolution of Starbucks certainly absorbed some of the Italian coffee tradition, but it was structured around the American society. Despite being inspired on the Italian culture, therefore, it is probable that the Starbucks model would not fly in Italy.

The coffee experience for Italians is much more personal and intimate than what any Starbucks store would be able to offer. It is about “slow food” as opposed to the American “fast food”. Just think about the plastic cups, for instance, Italians do not like them. Why? Because they do not even consider the possibility of taking the coffee outside of the bar and drinking it while walking or driving

Comment

An Italian friend told me
      That in a majority of Italian bar style cafes you stand up while drinking your favourite brew "no seating is provided"
      Different to the Starbucks experience people talk about

KK

Comment

Originally posted by Koffee Kosmo link=1216754410/0#2 date=1216770863
        An Italian friend told me
        That in a majority of Italian bar style cafes you stand up while drinking your favourite brew "no seating is provided"
        KK
        Yes, the vast majority of Italians order their coffee at the counter and drink it there. Very soon after they leave. They dont linger.

Sit-down cafes tend to be located in the more touristy areas. For the privilege of sitting down, the price of the coffee is usually 2, 3 or even 4 times the stand-up price.

Comment

Originally posted by flynnaus link=1216754410/0#1 date=1216768612
          Just think about the plastic cups, for instance, Italians do not like them. Why? Because they do not even consider the possibility of taking the coffee outside of the bar and drinking it while walking or driving[/i][/color]
          Hmm interesting... so theres no takeaway coffee in Italy?
          Anyone been to Italy can confirm this?

Comment

Originally posted by afton link=1216754410/0#0 date=1216754409
            I was browsing around and found out that there is actually no Starbucks store
            at all in Italy! - and SB has ~15,000 stores in 44 countries.
            I think they deliberately avoid Italy because they know its just impossible to
            beat the local cafes, or they just want to avoid being burnt down by the locals  ;D

Anyway I have never patronised any of the 15,000 Starbucks shops

KK

Comment

Originally posted by afton link=1216754410/0#4 date=1216772405
              [quote
              The only place Ive seen plastic/paper cups in Italy was at a wedding reception - and rather than the coffee being brought to you, you went to the counter and they gave it to you in a short plastic cup.

I went to my first Italian soccer match a couple of years ago in Rome. As I walked towards the entrance gates, rather than hearing the cries of people selling soccer paraphenalia or publications, I was surprised to hear various vendors yelling "Caffe, Caffe".  

People were drinking coffee out of what looked like white plastic shotgun cartridges. After the match, the outside of the ground was covered with these empty cartridges scattered everywhere.

The coffee apparently has sambuca added to it.

Comment

Originally posted by afton link=1216754410/0#4 date=1216772405
                Hmm interesting...  so theres no takeaway coffee in Italy?
                Yep, I was there a couple of years ago now, and not a single takeaway coffee to be seen.

In proper coffee bars, there are no tables and chairs, you stand at the bar and drink you coffee. You can sit down at some places, but you will pay "table charge", which is to account for the time / effort of someone coming over to take your order and bring you your drinks. Some places also distinguish between the two by asking if you want to eat / drink at the bar or at the restaurant. Whilst this is certainly more popular in the tourist areas, I still saw it off the beaten track.

Coffee is very much a cultural thing in Italy, not a commodity like it is in the US (and here). Which also helps explain why being a barista in Italy is quite a respectable job, unlike working at Starbucks et al.

Comment

One of the fabulous things about Italy is walking into a bar, ordering your espresso, drinking at the counter and then moving on.  Wonderful to immerse yourself in the local ways of life whilst there.

I remember an absolute classic in a large café on St Marks Square in Venice about five years ago.  An espresso at the bar (as was the case everywhere) cost about $1.50.  If you sat at a table you could order a Nescafe (yes that’s right) for about $8 from memory!!  

Comment

Working...
                  X