Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Does Your Partner Say About Your Coffee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Does Your Partner Say About Your Coffee?

I've recently got my act together and started making some very nice shots. My wife commented, "this is very good, , , really great, , , best one yet."

So I explained it was mainly due to slower pre-infusion, reducing the brew ratio, blah, blah, until she looked bored.

She squinted at me, and said, "so basically, for the previously ten years you've been making me shit coffee?"

Originally posted by Stavros View Post
    She squinted at me, and said, "so basically, for the previously ten years you've been making me shit coffee?"
    Stav baby....if I may a few quick questions.....

Do you recall whether the squint had a threatening menacing overtone?
    Was the reference to your previous coffee making carrying any Venom? Or Aggresion?

If so I certainly think this could be a mild prima-facie case of DV !

Please feel welcome to checkin here daily so the a communal group can lookout for your welfare.
    Stay safe bruther. Oh and keep up the great coffee.

I bet when you call coffee's ready....her little legs cant carry her quicker!
    Mines the same btw...

Comment

• Stavros
      Stavros commented
      Editing a comment
      My wife? Threatening?? Well, no more or less than the sabretooth tiger in Far Cry Primal. When she starts to squint, I just throw her a double shot instead of a lump of meat.

I barely drank coffee before I met my wife. When we got married my wife had a Breville Ikon (BES400), and since I got up before her I started making her double espresso of a morning. I began to enjoy the process and started making myself a latte on the weekends. Before long I had declared the machine no good and bought a second hand BES800 for $50. Then after reading something on CS I converted the portafilter to naked. I promptly realised that pressurised baskets didn't behave nicely without a bottom of the portafilter to blast onto, so I attempted to drill out the hole to a larger size that would stop it building pressure. The drill bit went straight through both layers and my unamused wife had to go without coffee until the new unpressurised baskets arrived from Breville a week later. The rest, as they say, is history.

That Breville Ikon my wife had when we got married? It didn't cost her a cent. She got an offer in the mail for a free credit card from Amex, and if you spent $300 on the card in the first month they send you the machine for free. "Brilliant!" she thought, "I'll save a bunch of money on takeaway coffee by having it at home." She now refers to it as "the most expensive free coffee machine ever."

She still likes that I bring her coffee in bed every day, though sometimes I think I can see her calculating the cost of it.

Comment

• Dimal
      Dimal commented
      Editing a comment
      My lovely lady spurns all attempts by me to create a wonderful brew just for her.
      Instead, while warding me off, she heads to the counter where her trusty bottle of Instant resides and proceeds to make her own brew. Been like this from day dot...

Mine spends less time drinking it than I do making it. She puts the empty cup next to the sink while I am still making mine. Like level3ninja, I only started on coffee because she was drinking it, but kinda got into it. She gets grumpy when I sometimes go into the office to work, as I am not around to make her C2 mid morning. At least she has somewhat indulged my CS spurred purchases.

Comment

She says, "I'm a great wife letting you have the corner of the kitchen for your machine and grinder, when I hate the smell of coffee and need that space"...or words to that effect.

Comment

My wife commented today that she does not know what she would do if I departed this planet, "who would roast coffee for me then, she said?"
        Great to know I am a valued member of the household!!!

Comment

My wife is quite extraordinary with her tolerance of my espresso obsession. Ironically, since giving birth to the first of the litter 35 years ago she's never been able to drink coffee even though she used to enjoy it and still loves the aroma. Gives her the shakes really bad like a heroin addict going cold turkey.

I suspect her tolerance for my hobby is partly due to the fact that when my coffee addiction started my motorbike addiction (used to race superbikes) stopped. "Every minute he's dabbling in espresso is a minute he's not on a motorbike trying to kill himself". Something like that.

As a result, I'm left to roam free with pretty much anything to do with coffee which is in stark contrast to every other facet of life at home for which she transforms from a benign pushover into what I affectionately refer to as "my little Bavarian bulldozer" (she is German).

So my advice to anyone who has to get approval from the Head of Household Finance, for the purchase of your next essential life-sustaining coffee machine, is to start leaving copies of Motorcycle Trader around, opened at a page featuring the most expensive Italian motorbike you can find, and circle it with a bright blue marker pen. Something over $50,000 should do the trick.

This way, you may find the resistance to spending a mere 5k on your new coffee machine is lowered considerably. Throw in a bunch of flowers before the magazine ploy, during the magazine ploy and shortly after your new machine arrives. It's entirely unnecessary beyond that and you are better off diverting the flower funds into something more rewarding such as a new tamping device or saving for a roaster.

And when (not if) upgraditis hits, you can simply rinse and repeat the whole exercise.

You can thank me after your new machine arrives, but not with flowers please.

Comment

Originally posted by tompoland View Post
            My wife is quite extraordinary with her tolerance of my .........
            I suspect her tolerance for my hobby is ......I affectionately refer to as "my little Bavarian bulldozer" (she is German).
            So my advice to anyone who has to get approval.......Throw in a bunch of flowers before the morning coffee ploy.....
            and shortly after your new machine arrives.....
            and you are better off diverting the flower funds into something more rewarding such as a....
            Well Tom there's plenty for you to work with here.......
            Maybe suggest a ....."Gertrande Strasse" focus for both yours near future.
            Post coffee Sat morning a trip to the local Bayerische Motoren Werken and see where that goes!
            Comfy pillion Seat, Helmet Comms System, enough room in the Panniers for a good hand grinder, Bellman and single stove top
            = great coffee whilst your both out there !

Good Luck with it !
            Click image for larger version  Name:	image_32824.jpg Views:	3 Size:	31.4 KB ID:	892341

Comment

• tompoland
              tompoland commented
              Editing a comment
              OMG love it EA! Wow.

I'd be on my own though because my wife would rather commit ritual Hara-Kiri than get on the back of my motorbike ever again!

• yochiya
              yochiya commented
              Editing a comment
              That LC boxer is so damn fine. Gotta love the GS!

• amberale
              amberale commented
              Editing a comment
              Nope, it is a bloody horse and a thoroughbred at that.
              Far too bloody big for mere mortals like myself(OK, Hobbits).
              Give me a Trumpy 900 Tiger any day.

Yum. That’s it. She's very supportative but has raised her eyebrow at some of my purchases.
            Mrs F: 'Why do you have so many grinders?'
            Me: 'How many handbags do you own?'

Comment

• tompoland
              tompoland commented
              Editing a comment
              ...and shoes?

• flynnaus
              flynnaus commented
              Editing a comment
              Well she's no Imelda Marcos. I own more pairs of shoes than her. But she owned at least 8 handbags.

My partner and I go through a kilo of coffee a week (more if we have guests). Of that, 294 grams is me, the other 700 odd is her.

She notices changes (didn't like the late harvest Ardi) but as long as it tastes like coffee she's in.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyrebird View Post
              My partner and I go through a kilo of coffee a week (more if we have guests). Of that, 294 grams is me, the other 700 odd is her.

She notices changes (didn't like the late harvest Ardi) but as long as it tastes like coffee she's in.
              I did the Ardi at 30% with the Columbian Volcan and it was nice but it was enough. I haven't tried Ardi on its own but I probably won't bother. It certainly does give especially milk drinks a nice lift.

Comment

I get the odd complaint about the soy milk being slightly curdled, but that's super bean dependent.
                have switched to darker roasts to help avoid that issue, but she likes it!

Comment

• amberale
                  amberale commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Bean juice, not milk.

• Lyrebird
                  Lyrebird commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You can always add a pinch of bicarb soda to the soy milk to raise the pH enough for it not to curdle.

Alternatively add the bicarb to the ground coffee: instant crema.
              Working...
              X