Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dangers of coffeesnobbery

Yes, I am a coffee snob.

I love my coffee, i love the taste, i love the smell, i love the texture and i love the feeling i get when i pull a great shot. Indeed I have become passionate about it to the point where I talk about coffee a lot (hey its a relatively new hobby so its always on the tip of my tongue).

But heres the thing. I love it, i talk about it, but generally, especially during the week, i tend to only drink coffee in the mornings, or if in the evenings, straight away when i get home from work, i may have a ristretto. This is mainly because i have been an on and off sufferer of insomnia all my life, regardless of caffeine intake. Late night coffee never helps though.

However, when friends with whom i have been talking about coffee for months finally make it over for dinner, obviously, I must partake in coffee with them. This would be fine, except i had already had a shot when i got home. Then whilst discussing the flavour of the home roasted yirg, i mentioned that to really taste the flavour and appreciate it best, a vacpot would be the best option.
    My friends had never heard of a vacpot, so i broke out the bodum santos and then after seeing it, they had to see it in action and taste result. Of course being a good host, i could not disappoint my dinner guests and more coffee was had. So, 10.30pm after already having just had a latte, the delicious yet more caffeinated than ristretto vacpot brew was made and drunk. My friends left, leaving me at home, alone, happy, but wired.

mmmm coffee. so much joy - so little sleep.

Re: dangers of coffeesnobbery

I can relate to what you are saying, I usually have my last coffee for the day by 4.30-5pm so that I can sleep that night.
    But on occasions when I have considerably more I generally lay there staring at the ceiling in the early hours of the morning!! (and think of having a lovely flat white with my breakfast!!............................gm

Comment

I dont know if its cos i have ristrettos w/ less caffeine most of the time, but I can have one anytime of the night and fall asleep like a baby. Ive found that most of it is in your head - well thats what I tell people anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by raphec link=1218663500/0#0 date=1218663500
        Yes, I am a coffee snob.

I love my coffee, i love the taste, i love the smell, i love the texture and i love the feeling i get when i pull a great shot.

For a minute there I thought you were going to tell us your name was Johan van der Smut and that you lost your genitalia in an unfortunate gold smelting accident.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_van_der_Smut

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Yea
          I don’t have much trouble sleeping after a drinking a coffee

Maybe it is the Yoga training I did when I was younger
          Its all in the technique of breathing

KK

Comment

Another danger that I experience has more to do with the snobbery part.
            Im more an enthusiast than snob....theres negative connotations with the word snob.
            Like when Im sitting with people who havent been enlightened yet....if i look at their drink they say something like..."sorry for drinking this disgusting coffee in front of you" or "ugh sorry...Im drinking instant coffee right now...hope that doesnt gross you out"
            To be honest, yes....I AM grossed out...
            but i dont wanna be viewed as a snob cuz I definitely dont look down upon them for drinking crap. They just havent had any decent stuff yet.

:P

Comment

I generally have my last coffee of the day at around 3PM but have never really noticed a later coffee having any affect on my sleep.

I go to bed quite late as it is and sleep about 6 hours a night so theres not much sleep to interrupt.

"Sleep is Mother Natures way of letting you know yore not drinking enough coffee." (Thundergod)

Comment

Raphec
                Try the decaf, your friends wouldnt know the difference.
                I use two types, not personally but i roast for my work and for a friend. The bean bay Mocha java decaf is great and i also get some green beans from a roaster

I have been known to fill the office machine with decaf when i have been unable to stock up on roasted beans, know one is the wiser except for the die hards who drink decaf at work.

Both beans roast beautifully and tast great, you are only around the corner from me so PM if you feel like a sample.

Mal

Comment

Late brews dont seem to worry me too much either fortunately. I just hit the sack, start reading a book and then Im gone...

Mal.

Comment

I dont have a problem getting to sleep after a late coffee but it always causes me to wake up earlier without fail.

Comment

Only bothers me if I eat too much. That with the mixture of coffee causes acid indigestion. Yuch

Comment

Originally posted by flynnaus link=1218663500/0#9 date=1218759944
                        I dont have a problem getting to sleep after a late coffee but it always causes me to wake up earlier without fail.
                        Thats great for if you have to get up early!!

Comment

I guess people are different and have different metabolisms, and different sleeping patterns.

I can only drink DCF after 3pm other wise sleep goes out the window. And DCF Mocha Java is fabulous, as is the DCF from another place

Robert

"Sleep is Mother Natures way of letting you know youre not drinking enough coffee." (Thundergod)  ;D ;D ;D very funny TG

Comment

I think that working shifts for the first 10 years after leaving school has left me with the ability to drink coffee at any time of the night without it affecting my sleep.

In fact my usual routine after getting home at midnight after an evening shift was to put the kettle on and make a coffee (instant in those dark days). I found that this helped me to unwind and sleep easier.

When I first bought my Silvia, I was still trying it out at 11:00pm at night and was on about my 5th espresso before I thought Id better stop and go to bed. It was one of the best nights sleep Id had in ages.

Comment

Originally posted by flynnaus link=1218663500/0#9 date=1218759944
                              Is this because coffee is a diretic and makes you have the urge to off load some fluid?
                              Im still in the "I dont know if coffee keeps me from sleeping" phase but usually have a hot choc b4 going to bed. MMMM warm milk!!
                              Regards
                              Crisp Image

Comment

Working...
                              X