Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maccas Rainforest Alliance not fair trade

An interesting article:

http://business.smh.com.au/business/maccas-ground-down-in-ethical-turf-war-20080820-3yvg.html

Maccas ground down in ethical turf war

<snip>

Since May McDonalds has been running ads promoting its tie-up with Rainforest Alliance, a New York non-profit organisation that ensures plantations adhere to strict environmental standards.

But the inclusion of the words "a fair deal for workers" accompanying South American coffee workers at the end of the ad raised the ire of the Fairtrade movement, which guarantees workers a minimum wage ahead of better environmental practices.

McDonalds aired the ad in good faith, having had the script approved by the alliance. A day later, though, having realised its mistake the alliance changed its mind and instructed McDonalds to replace "a fair deal for workers" with a "great deal for workers".

It took the restaurant chain five days to change the ad, said a spokeswoman, who fought back her frustration at being drawn into a spat between the two competing NGOs. "We have worked closely with them [the alliance]; we have been in consultation with them. An ad was approved and the next day we were asked to change it. Which we did," she said.

The wording in that ad led Fairtrades representatives to accuse McDonalds and the alliance of straying away from its core aim, which is to improve the environment, and of moving on to Fairtrades turf. McDonalds insists that the communication between Fairtrade and the company has only ever been supportive.

etc...

Re: Maccas Rainforest Alliance not fair trade

Rainforest Alliance and Fairtrade are both exploiting ignorant coffee consumers.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1219272736/0#1 date=1219281250
      Rainforest Alliance and Fairtrade are both exploiting ignorant coffee consumers.
      Really? From what Ive read and heard RFA seem to be doing a more than OK job of achieving their goals. :-/ The fairtrade banner is another matter!

Comment

TG, I know youre the king of succinct, but you may want to expand on that one a little lol.

Admittedly, Ive heard better things about RFA than FT - thats from the wholesalers anyway.

Comment

It sounds to be more of a marketing dispute than anything. By Maccas touting the fair deal line FT are worried about RFA stepping into their turf. Whether either are using their trademarks for ethical purposes (ie delivering what they claim) well I dont really know enough about either to dispute claims.

But I am somewhat cynical because of the way that other identifiers such as Australian- made and organic are misrepresented. They are used as a marketing tool rather than a legitimate concern for the ethics behind their products.

While RFA and FT may be overseeing their own guidelines, and each others judging by this article, who oversees them?

Comment

Originally posted by flynnaus link=1219272736/0#4 date=1219285104
            It sounds to be more of a marketing dispute than anything. By Maccas touting the fair deal line FT are worried about RFA stepping into their turf. Whether either are using their trademarks for ethical purposes (ie delivering what they claim) well I dont really know enough about either to dispute claims.

But I am somewhat cynical because of the way that other identifiers such as Australian- made and organic are misrepresented. They are used as a marketing tool rather than a legitimate concern for the ethics behind their products.

While RFA and FT may be overseeing their own guidelines, and each others judging by this article, who oversees them?
            Yer- seems whenever FT are involved, politics are a cert :....Just remind me again?? Was it about marketing or farmers and their staff?? :-?

Comment

Im not touching this topic with a....

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Freeman link=1219272736/0#6 date=1219290260
                Im not touching this topic with a....
                ....and thats a bign!!!

Didnt realize it was so controversial.

Anyway, why are we worried about it when we already have Faircrack? Speaking of which - its been going for just over 12 months and we have a fair amount in kitty. Are we any closer to getting a project worked out. Perhaps time to revisit this thread???

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1173409950/40

Comment

Originally posted by flynnaus link=1219272736/0#4 date=1219285104
                  ... I am somewhat cynical because of the way that other identifiers such as Australian- made and organic are misrepresented. They are used as a marketing tool rather than a legitimate concern for the ethics behind their products ...
                  Yep, agreed Flynn, labels are easily branded on products in the hope that it woos the consumer, & often its deceptive (how many of us actually read the nutritional content label in depth on the back of a product, to determine the amount of fat & sugar were actually consuming? :-?)

If I see something labelled organic, Im admittedly drawn to it ... but I look to see whether it is certified organic, with the label that tells me that certain standards & regulations have been satisfied to deserve accreditation. It subdues the cynic in me a bit, & gives me a bit of reassurance that standards are in place.

Forgotten the ol Latin saying - but doesnt it boil down to buyer beware?

Its business ... they want your dollar ... for the multi-nats, ethics in trading commodities is probably all about paying the producer a rate higher than before [diddly squat on their $ margin], & therefore meeting their claim of global & social responsibility, but ultimately calculated on that marketing level at seducing the consumer on the grounds that they are leaders.

FT, RO, Organic - blah, blah ... all words, but wheres the evidence of beneficial change environmentally, & living/social standards for bean growers in countries with dodgy political circumstances where civil war means a machete may be on the ready to dismember a limb whilst harvesting your crop?

OK, off the box :
                  Tony

Comment

Originally posted by YeeZa link=1219272736/0#3 date=1219281984
                    TG, I know youre the king of succinct, but you may want to expand on that one a little lol.

Admittedly, Ive heard better things about RFA than FT - thats from the wholesalers anyway.
                    Well I got a reaction (as intended).

I didnt say they werent meeting their "stated goals".

What I meant was that the consumer is a pawn in their game.

Are you telling me they are all doing it on their own time for free?

Comment

TG, omission doesnt imply inclusion.

Doing it for free or for pay isnt exploitation of coffee consumers either - be they ignorant or not.

Comment

Originally posted by GrindOnDemand link=1219272736/0#8 date=1219298390
                        If I see something labelled organic, Im admittedly drawn to it ... but I look to see whether it is certified organic, with the label that tells me that certain standards & regulations have been satisfied to deserve accreditation.  It subdues the cynic in me a bit, & gives me a bit of reassurance that standards are in place.
                        Good on you . Caveat emptor indeed. Unfortunately not everyone is that careful and thats what the marketing people who design the packaging rely on I guess. How many of your average punters would know the difference between organic and certified organic. Who checks up on the certified organic produces to ensure they meet standards all the time, not just when the inspector turns up? I spose thats what you meant by a bit.

As TG put it, were just pawns in the game

OK, off the box
                        So thats where my box went  :-?

Comment

Originally posted by flynnaus link=1219272736/0#11 date=1219302760
                          OK, off the box
                          So thats where my box went  :-?
                          ;D

Its not too shredded with shrapnel yet mate!

Ill give it back to ya.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis link=1219272736/0#10 date=1219299622
                            TG, omission doesnt imply inclusion.
                            True but so many people do it, why not me?

Originally posted by Dennis link=1219272736/0#10 date=1219299622
                            Doing it for free or for pay isnt exploitation of coffee consumers either - be they ignorant or not.
                            The exploitation in my opinion is that they sell their coffee by marketing a "feel good" message to the consumer. No different to any other big business.

(Whos turn next on the box?)

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1219272736/0#9 date=1219299138
                              Originally posted by YeeZa link=1219272736/0#3 date=1219281984

Well I got a reaction (as intended).

I didnt say they werent meeting their "stated goals".

What I meant was that the consumer is a pawn in their game.

Are you telling me they are all doing it on their own time for free?

And youre explanation for this TG I guess would be that they even have their staff bamboozled which probably isnt far from the truth. ;D

You started off by saying "exploitation" - in my little book that refers to cruel and unjust treatment. How is it so....please explain!

Comment

Working...
                              X