Dark Pour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Pour

I know this has been covered somewhere but I cant find the thread that it was in and a search for "dark pour" and "black pour" doesnt turn up anything.

Im still playing with my grind settings and tamp pressure etc. but Im finding it hard to get anything other than a thick black pour that tastes sour (I think this is what is called sour anyway) or a slightly lighter, slightly more caramel coloured gusher (30ml in 15 to 20 secs).

The black pour is with a finer grind setting and the gusher is with a courser setting (two steps). I have an inkling that it might have to do with the amount of coffee in the portafilter but Ive honestly no idea.

I know I dont have the best equipment at this point but I should be able to make something more drinkable than this. On the otherhand Im starting to do really well with my milk texturing

Re: Dark Pour

That sounds like it might be stale coffee. When were the beans roasted?
    It is almost impossible to get a good pour with old beans, and your timing doesnt sound too far out.

If you are filling the portafilter level and then tamping it down with 10-15 kg pressure then you are in the right ballpark.
    Others with that specific machine will probably chime in with more details.

Greg

Comment

Hey NB!

I think you should wait until you get your unpressurised baskets. Grind settings/tamp pressure etc are pretty much useless with those UN-pressurised puppies. Im guessing that this will solve a big chunk of your probs. You gear is the limiting factor there. Once you get those baskets though, your doors open up way wider and the fun really begins.

Glad to hear your milk is going well though.

Hope that helps,

YeeZa

Comment

The pressurised basket will be a while because the one I ordered was sent but I never received it and I havent bothered to order another one yet. Ill probably do that again in the next week or so, no idea how long itll take to arrive though.

The beans Im using at the moment are a bit old admittedly (three weeks) but even when I order beans that were roasted, going by the date on the packet, less than a week before I get them the result is the same. I tend to get beans from site sponsors so I assume the quality is pretty high.

I think I need to practice my tamp pressure, Im sure my consistancy is lacking and maybe Im not tamping hard enough.

Comment

Originally posted by New Bean link=1219394951/0#3 date=1219399627
          I think I need to practice my tamp pressure, Im sure my consistancy is lacking and maybe Im not tamping hard enough.
          With these double-walled baskets "NB", you dont need to tamp very forcefully or grind very finely... Certainly not a normal espresso grind anyway (maybe one closer to Castor Sugar than fine Table Salt).

Try to ensure that you dose the basket with the same amount of coffee each time so that after tamping (with 3-5Kg of force) you are able to lock the PF into position such that the tamped coffee barely touches the shower-screen. Just try this a few times without actually pulling a shot until you find the dose (and method) that allows you to do this consistently.

After youre able to do this, try pulling a shot and then adjust your grinder one step at a time until you are able to get a nice, honey coloured pour that doesnt blonde before 25-30 seconds. Once youre in this ball-park, you just need to get into the habit of stopping the shot before blonding happens rather than an absolute brewing time. Takes a bit of practice but youll get there OK. All the best mate, and Happy Brewing.....

Mal.

Comment

I agree with what Mal has said. Get the unpressurised basket first. In the mean time practise your dosing. I have found that the most common cause of "hit and miss" coffee at home is that you are dosing different amounts each time.

Comment

Im guessing its stale coffee...

I notice how after awhile no matter how i tamp and grind, the pours end up either jamming or gushing or oozing out some dark liquid with almost no crema. It tastes sour and bitter with a terrible aftertaste and sticks at the back of the throat like when you eat certain types of raw fruit... a pretty unpleasant sensation. --> and thats with normal baskets and a decent tamper.

Comment

It sounds like the coffee grounds are hitting the shower screen,due to a over dosing and or distrubtion issues  when filling the portafilter basket with coffee -need 1-2 mm gap from the top of the coffee -once tamped to the shower screen.Try using 1g less coffee every shot you pull, until there Is no spuirting.And make sure when distrubting  the coffee grounds into the  portafliter,do It as even as possible.Tamping has the least affect on the extraction quaility,so just keep that at a consistant 10-15kg,dose and distribute consistantly.I think the biggest factor IS grind,adjust  grind corser-finer until you get  a extraction of 25-30ml within a 25-30sec time frame.    Good luck  - on the journey -

Comment

Working...
                X