Long black or long black?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long black or long black?

So does a Long black have to have an espresso base to be called a Long black or is it just a long black or black coffee? For example if its run through a syphon, aeropress, pour-over etc?

Or is it all just semantics? :-/

Re: Long black or long black?

My opinion is that it doesnt need an espresso shot base.

My wife would agree.

Shes a long black drinker and now prefers those made with the Aeropress.

Comment

I believe a long black has to be the espresso beverage. 3/4 filled cup of hot water in an ACF tulip with a double ristretto to double espresso extracted over the top. The ACF tulip with a narrow top keeps the crema together for longer.

All other black coffees I prefer to call brewed or drip coffee. FWIW, I love drinking super amazing light roasted origins in Syphon. The most recent of those has been an El Salvador St Batres natural.

Comment

Im not dogmatic about it but I have always considered a long black to be espresso based on a 1:3 ratio, as indicated by David. I think that the long black needs the concentration of the espresso base to open out with the extra water. A bit like high proof, single malt scotch with water. But like I said, Im not dogmatic about it if the flavour is there.

S

Comment

Originally posted by Wushoes - David S link=1220573741/0#2 date=1220840542
          FWIW, I love drinking super amazing light roasted origins in Syphon.
          Same - its a v.v.v. close second to espresso at the moment. Making some big breakthroughs in technique lately (for me anyway). Oh and I cant wait to goto Japan early 09 to pick up some goodies - the latest is the Hario Halogen Beam heater - delish.

Yeah IMO Long blacks are espresso based.

Comment

I agree that a long black is espresso-based - but...Im on the road and brought the hand-grinder and roasted beans, and Ive just had my first aeropress coffee. Have to admit its not that far from a long black in taste

Comment

Working...
            X