Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

cataldo, ristretto, piccolo latte. difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cataldo, ristretto, piccolo latte. difference?

hi, first time poster long time reader. i was wondereing if anyone can shed some light on what exactly is a cataldo, because i believe there is some confusion in the newcastle cafe district. when i enquired as to what a cataldo is, i was informed i might know it better as a piccolo latte, but i have since been told i may have actually been drinking a ristretto! please help.

Re: cataldo, ristretto, piccolo latte. difference?

Huh? Maybe a piccolo latte with a ristretto base. Im not in the cafe scene so dont really know the lingo that goes on. Have heard cataldo being thrown around, but no dice, sorry.

Comment

ristretto = restricted shot
      piccolo latte = small latte (90-120ml) - could be made on an espresso or a ristretto base...

pretty obvious difference - one has milk in it

Ive never heard of a cataldo.

Comment

Google only turns up a surname and a town in Idaho.

Comment

come to think of it, Ive never heard of it.... :-[

I was thinking of something else  :

edit: oh I see Im not the only one :-/

Comment

maybe its spanish or sumthin?

Google tends to be a bit unsuitable for foreign non-english words.

Just watched this good russian movie, "Shik" on SBS last night (aka. "The Suit" or "Chic" in English countries). It was surprisingly good, and had the same feel/themes of Naguib Mahfouzs "Midaq Alley" - but in a eastern european setting instead.

Anyway, I couldnt find anything on google. Searches were totally out of whack.

Comment

Havent heard of it either...though that wouldnt be a surprise.

Are you sure it wasnt "caldo"?  In Italian, a machiatto caldo would mean to add a little hot milk.

Welcome to CS btw.

Comment

Cortado?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortado
                http://coffeegeek.com/forums/members/recipes/17533

Comment

Originally posted by rice link=1220920969/0#7 date=1220926285
                  Cortado?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortado
                  http://coffeegeek.com/forums/members/recipes/17533
                  Ahh, that makes more sense. So basically, equal parts espresso and milk - but the milk shouldnt have any microfoam at all?

Comment

Hmm so straight outta tha jug milk. I think Renzo hits those up sometimes. Ive seen him pull a double and then splash some milk in.

But in those links is says a mini capp? I dont know haha. Either way itd still taste like coffee with milk to me : Ill get there on day haha

Comment

thanks for all your responses, and the warm welcome to cs! i have made and consumed 3 cortados this morning since i posted the original question, and i didnt even know it! im obviously a greenbean. i will inform the local cafe they are serving cortados disguised as cataldos. but a cortado by any other name......

Comment

There is a cafe in Newcastle that serves what they call a Cataldo. If you order one you get a Piccolo Latte. Im fairly sure I was told is was a Spanish... but that was a couple of years ago.

The cafe Im talking about is opposite Newcastle beach, I wont mention the name in case it is against a posting law Ive misundertstood. The mystery name sounds kind of Spanish.

Good to see another Novacastrian Coffeesnob, there will be almost enough of us for an official get together.

Comment

its possibly a newcastle thing, cause there is nothing about it in a google search relating to coffee. im guessing someone misspelled cortado, and everyone else copied!

Comment

There are at least 3 cafes in Newcastle that serve Cataldos - Estobar, Goldbergs and Longbench. It shouldnt be against the law to post their names, were not saying theyre bad, they actually all make good coffee. I think its our duty as coffee connisseurs to let them know theyve got it wrong though

Comment

Wooo another from newwy right here :P (well, by weekend. By week I am a dweller of the gong)

not a fan on longbench tbh. My regular was suspension espresso in izzo, but thats really gone down hill lately...

Comment

Working...
                              X